4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No start after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 02:58 PM

No start after car wash

I spent 4 hours washing, claying, waxing the car.

I was about to take out the max after and I am having a no start problem. Battery is fine. I have intermittently had this problem before. However, before, I could hear the engine trying to crank but nothing would happen. This time the engine seems to crank only intermittently. I did wash the underbody of the car just with the water hose but it had been 3 hours since I had any water. Any suggestions?

I know starters or solenoids in the starter is a common problem. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2002, 03:20 PM

If you can hear it trying to start then there is a good chance that it is the starter, especially if you've had the problem before.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:18 PM

how do u know its not the battery - were u listening to the car radio while you were washing it??? -- washing the underbody of the car shouldnt be a big deal
Old 04-07-2002, 04:49 PM

Re: No start after car wash

Originally posted by Monil
I spent 4 hours washing, claying, waxing the car.

I was about to take out the max after and I am having a no start problem. Battery is fine. I have intermittently had this problem before. However, before, I could hear the engine trying to crank but nothing would happen. This time the engine seems to crank only intermittently. I did wash the underbody of the car just with the water hose but it had been 3 hours since I had any water. Any suggestions?

I know starters or solenoids in the starter is a common problem. Any ideas?
Wow, I had an almost identical problem too! I spent a good 3 hours, washing, vaccuming, cleaning my Max today, and then when I jumped in, I tried to turn on the car, it like started choking, it started shakin, and then it stalled. I tried again, and it hesitated, but then worked. I took it around for a bit, then stopped, turned off the car for a few mins, tried to turn it on again, and it ran fine.

I dunno, never happened b4 when I washed the car. While cleaning, I rolled down all the windows, and opened the sunroof a couple of times without turning on the car (turned the ignition switch past ACC but not far enough to turn on the car), maybe that took a lot of energy?
Dunno why it happened, probably the battery I guess? My drive-way is on a steep incline, if that matters?
Old 04-07-2002, 05:10 PM

yes - that prolly drained the battery out big time...........but if you do manage to start it up, the alternator will recharge it
Old 04-07-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: No start after car wash

I'm also on a fairly steep driveway. The battery is only 1 1/2 yrs old. I figure it is the solenoid or starter. I'm going to get it towed tomorrow morning and have it looked at. It just sucks spending 4 good quality hours with my max and then not able to take it out .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iqb316

Wow, I had an almost identical problem too! I spent a good 3 hours, washing, vaccuming, cleaning my Max today, and then when I jumped in, I tried to turn on the car, it like started choking, it started shakin, and then it stalled. I tried again, and it hesitated, but then worked. I took it around for a bit, then stopped, turned off the car for a few mins, tried to turn it on again, and it ran fine.

I dunno, never happened b4 when I washed the car. While cleaning, I rolled down all the windows, and opened the sunroof a couple of times without turning on the car (turned the ignition switch past ACC but not far enough to turn on the car), maybe that took a lot of energy?
Dunno why it happened, probably the battery I guess? My drive-way is on a steep incline, if that matters?
[/QUO