4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Time for some fun stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 03:16 AM

I've decided that I'm gonna be trying to scrounge up money for NOS for christmas. I've thought about sooping the car up a bit more than average lately, and frankly, it's got too many miles on it (or km's I should say) to bother saving for an SC or Turbo. It currently has 113k km (that's uh .. 65-70k miles) on it. I figure it aughta be able to handle 50-65 shot nos, but I wanted to see what you guys opinions on it were. I'll be adding Don's VB mod, and a JWT, or Cheston's ECU in addition to the NOS, so as far as any "do those mods first" go -- they'll be done.

What will I need to replace/upgrade for that amount of NOS? How much will it shorten the engine life by introducing it this late in the max's life, and uh. One goofy quesiton about NOS. My friend says once you 'hit it', it stays on for 15 seconds or so. Not only do I find that to sound really unsafe, but I don't see how it could be true either. If you've got an ECU set to initiate NOS during WOT, and you take your foot off the gas and slam on the break, no more NOS is gonna be introduced into the fuel stream, right?

Zoom Zoom. =)
Old 11-26-2000, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The UPRD ECU is not compatible with NOS because it advances the ignition timing wich will cause detonation. 65-70k It should work fine. Adding horsepower with NOS is just like adding more horsepower with anything else, it accelerates engine wear. You control the NOS you can put it on a push button switch so it will only stay on when the button is pushed. Their are other methods also, your friend is mistaken.

E-mail me and I'll send you some info on NOS.
Old 11-26-2000, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know anything about NOS, but sometime in the next year I'm planning on doing the same upgrade... let us know what you buy and how it works if you go for it.
Old 11-26-2000, 12:12 PM
Autobahn Max

You can buy an additional ECU program that integrates NOS with a JWT ECU. It places conditions when the NOS can be "shot", such as WOT, etc. You can read about it on Cattman's website (www.cattman.com) or Jim Wolf's website (www.jimwolftechnology). Although JWT doesn't make a ECU upgrade for your 97, their 95 ECU will work great in your 97. I have one in my 97 and haven't had any problems.

Old 11-26-2000, 01:02 PM

Cool

So as long as there ain't any good arguments why it shouldn't be done, I'm gonna do it then =) .. Whee.

I read somewhere that the UPRD ECU was able to have special mods done to it if you knew you had NOS when it was created. I'll look into it but I'm veering more towards the JWT right now by this info. Cheston - If you read this, fill me in on the info about the UPRD hehe.
Old 11-26-2000, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by ereet
I've decided that I'm gonna be trying to scrounge up money for NOS for christmas. I've thought about sooping the car up a bit more than average lately, and frankly, it's got too many miles on it (or km's I should say) to bother saving for an SC or Turbo. It currently has 113k km (that's uh .. 65-70k miles) on it. I figure it aughta be able to handle 50-65 shot nos, but I wanted to see what you guys opinions on it were. I'll be adding Don's VB mod, and a JWT, or Cheston's ECU in addition to the NOS, so as far as any "do those mods first" go -- they'll be done.

What will I need to replace/upgrade for that amount of NOS? How much will it shorten the engine life by introducing it this late in the max's life, and uh. One goofy quesiton about NOS. My friend says once you 'hit it', it stays on for 15 seconds or so. Not only do I find that to sound really unsafe, but I don't see how it could be true either. If you've got an ECU set to initiate NOS during WOT, and you take your foot off the gas and slam on the break, no more NOS is gonna be introduced into the fuel stream, right?

Zoom Zoom. =)
I think there's a miscommunication. When activated, the NOS will stay on for as long as all the activation parameters are satisfied. However, the standard rule of thumb is you should NOT let the NOS go for more than *15 seconds* at a time. WOT for 1/4 mile is about all you can do "per shot" whether on the street or on the track. I think HEAT build up is the major limiting factor with NOS: Hold the NOS on for too long and your engine starts melting/welding stuff.