4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 03:33 PM

OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

After about a week of this new setup, I am think I am ready to review them. I bought the coilovers from SHmotorsports.com for $215 + shipping and the AGX's from Nick Bauer in the FS forum for $350 shipped. I did all the installation myself which proves that any moron can install them. The only problem was that the KYB's had to be grinded a little so that the sleeve of the coilover can fit over. I believe that all coilovers require this though.
I am very impressed with this setup, it is a huge improvement in handling over stock. The ride is stiffer but bearable and I am getting very very little noise from the new setup. I used the wire wrap from Radioshack and it seems to have helped a lot. The look is also very good, the lower stance makes the Maxima look very clean and fast. I have them set almost all the way down, maybe 1/2 an inch left to go down. I still have a three finger gap in the front and back at that setting on stock 15 inch rims. These are not the coilovers you want if you want to "slam" your car, try WeaponR's for that setup.
The one comlplaint that I do have is a lack of instructions or other documentation that came with the coilovers. I had to ask a fellow member on how to install them so I wouldn't screw up. Other than that I am happy to finally have gotten rid of the 4x4 look.

Adam
Old 08-23-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

Originally posted by The_Bomb
After about a week of this new setup, I am think I am ready to review them. I bought the coilovers from SHmotorsports.com for $215 + shipping and the AGX's from Nick Bauer in the FS forum for $350 shipped. I did all the installation myself which proves that any moron can install them. The only problem was that the KYB's had to be grinded a little so that the sleeve of the coilover can fit over. I believe that all coilovers require this though.
I am very impressed with this setup, it is a huge improvement in handling over stock. The ride is stiffer but bearable and I am getting very very little noise from the new setup. I used the wire wrap from Radioshack and it seems to have helped a lot. The look is also very good, the lower stance makes the Maxima look very clean and fast. I have them set almost all the way down, maybe 1/2 an inch left to go down. I still have a three finger gap in the front and back at that setting on stock 15 inch rims. These are not the coilovers you want if you want to "slam" your car, try WeaponR's for that setup.
The one comlplaint that I do have is a lack of instructions or other documentation that came with the coilovers. I had to ask a fellow member on how to install them so I wouldn't screw up. Other than that I am happy to finally have gotten rid of the 4x4 look.

Adam
Weapon R's are a 1-3 inch drop right? how much of a drop do OBX coil overs give you?
Old 08-23-2002, 11:22 AM

Re: Re: OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

Weapon R's are a 1-3 inch drop right? how much of a drop do OBX coil overs give you?
They sell them saying 0-4" drop, that is BS. The only way that you can get below about 2.5" is to have the spring perches relocated on your strut. Otherwise you can only drop as far down as that perch.

Adam
Old 08-23-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

Originally posted by The_Bomb

They sell them saying 0-4" drop, that is BS. The only way that you can get below about 2.5" is to have the spring perches relocated on your strut. Otherwise you can only drop as far down as that perch.

Adam

I have this same set up and mine are noisey as hell I turn the wheel they make noise..and about every other thing I do they make noise.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: OBX coilover/KYB AGX review

Originally posted by JustMaxin96

I have this same set up and mine are noisey as hell I turn the wheel they make noise..and about every other thing I do they make noise.
As are mine, they are noisy but bearable. But when you are driving a girl or family member around it is emabarrassing. I am gonna redo mine I think if I get some time.

Adam