4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do not Let Strangers under max Hood - Almost Died!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 06:39 AM
lefty

Do not Let Strangers under max Hood - Almost Died!

Ok Guys, here is the Story.

Took my Max in to a quick lube place for a basic oil change.

18 year old kid did the lube job and then came up and drooled over my max and comented how he wants to get one. He suggested a throttle body cleaning.

He goes ahead and disconnects the air intake to the TB. He then shows me the build up in there.

I told him fine, just put it back together. He does. However here is the problem. There is a metal o-ring thing that tightens the hose onto the throttle body. A little NUB will position the ring in the right spot. He put it backwards so the screw to tighten is on the opposite side and is restricting my throttle cables from allowing me to accelerate.

I did not konw this. I pull out of the garage and made a quick right on to the street flooring my car...it goes no where and meanwhile a car is comming straight at me and skiiding. I could not acclerate more than 5 miles an hour. I was a deer in headlights

I went back and the guys just went....OOOPSS. Moral of the story, Don;t be lazy and do it your self...!

Old 04-17-2002, 06:50 AM

Glad you didnt die or get into an accident.

Thats why I ONLY get oil changes if I go to a place like Jiffy Lube.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Do not Let Strangers under max Hood - Almost Died!

Originally posted by lefty
Ok Guys, here is the Story.

Took my Max in to a quick lube place for a basic oil change.

18 year old kid did the lube job and then came up and drooled over my max and comented how he wants to get one. He suggested a throttle body cleaning.

He goes ahead and disconnects the air intake to the TB. He then shows me the build up in there.

I told him fine, just put it back together. He does. However here is the problem. There is a metal o-ring thing that tightens the hose onto the throttle body. A little NUB will position the ring in the right spot. He put it backwards so the screw to tighten is on the opposite side and is restricting my throttle cables from allowing me to accelerate.

I did not konw this. I pull out of the garage and made a quick right on to the street flooring my car...it goes no where and meanwhile a car is comming straight at me and skiiding. I could not acclerate more than 5 miles an hour. I was a deer in headlights

I went back and the guys just went....OOOPSS. Moral of the story, Don;t be lazy and do it your self...!
Yes, save your money and buy a Hayne's manual or other sort. You'll won't believe how much money you'll save by doing it yourself. Furthermore, you'll be proud of yourself doing it yourself. Plus, you can use this forum as guidance for any help that you may need.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:23 AM

It amazes me how many negative stories I hear about Jiffy Lube and other quick oil change garages. Why do you people goto places like this? I do all my own work but I get coupons in the mail monthly from Nissan dealers offering $20 oil changes. Quick oil change garages charge $30-$40 and they f-up our car. Why pay more for bad service?
Old 04-17-2002, 07:23 AM

Dont let anyone touch your car period....

I deal with the local dealership for anything I cant handle myself, which isnt much finally, but for major repairs I only leave my car with a nissan tech.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes do minor things yourself!!! I feel for the guy who had a supercharger and they forgot to connect the FMU and since he had the supercharger a couple of blocks later his car engine just blew. I am sure the moderators know who I am talking about.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:04 AM
lefty

I usually do the oil changes myself but in the winter up here in Canada, I rather them do it. but not anymore.

The killer is that I found out the problem before them...I always think that if it were my parents or somethign who do not konw much about cars etc...they would have just freaked!

Well, oil changes will be done at home now.

K>

Old 05-08-2002, 11:26 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Dont let anyone touch your car period....

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
I deal with the local dealership for anything I cant handle myself, which isnt much finally, but for major repairs I only leave my car with a nissan tech.
So do I!! As Jason96GLE said it, Nissan dealers offer coupons for $20 oil changes & other maintenance discounts, and there's no other place I would trust my SE to other than my Nissan Dealer (Cook Imports, Farmington Hills, MI) for any maintenance or repair work my SE needs, + the Nissan tech's know exactly what they're doing so that leaves me w/ a good sense of security along w/ knowing that my SE is in good hands. Besides for a $20 oil change at the dealer, u get to see all the new models in the showroom while ur at it too
Old 05-08-2002, 11:33 PM

Re: Re: Dont let anyone touch your car period....

I get my oil changed at the local Amaco Gas Station here in Brooklyn,NY. For 20 dollars and a 4 dollar tip the guy changes my oil, fills up break fluid etc.. Takes less then 10 minutes. I've been doing it there for a while and my dad has been going there for years, no problem!. Besides, I would not let some 18 year old under the hood of my max! Except me but I'm going to be 19 in a few!