4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOS or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The supercharger definitely cost more. Which will give me more power? Let say a supercharger vs. 50hp shot of NOS? Or vs. 75hp, or 100hp shot of NOS? I'm thinking right now which one I should save my money up for. One thing I like about the supercharger is that you don't have to go refill the bottle. Who would win if someone has a supercharger, and someone else have the above mentioned NOS setup? And what about cost? I know that the supercharger is about $3,500? And including labor for the install probably run around the $4k range? How much would a 100hp shot of NOS cost? $1k?
Old 11-27-2000, 05:11 PM

NOS.....

All you need is the JWT n20 ECU and the hardware kit. The 65 shot system is all you need to run 13's.
Old 11-27-2000, 06:01 PM

Well as nitrous in my area costs $3.50 per lb, after 100 10lb NOS tank refills you have bought your self a SC. And the cost of the NOS kit would cover instillation.

I had the NOS parts from my previous car. So not to sell out the NOS guys, but I'd save up for the SC its their all the time.

Old 11-27-2000, 08:57 PM

I wonder how would a NOS Maxima vs. a supercharged Maxima do head to head? And consider both are similiarly modded just except one has NOS, and the other one has the supercharger?
Old 11-27-2000, 11:13 PM
Matt_P

Depends on your needs/wants->

With NOS your car is not really a faster car I used to have NOS(execpt a couple of 15 second runs). I wished I never wasted my money. Its fine for the 1/4 mile track, but it gets old on the street. The whole all or nothing thing does not help in a road race where you need something more linear/progressive.

If I had it to do all over again, I would of skipped the 1k for NOS (and some extra gagets..) and just bought the sc from the get go.

Matt P.
Originally posted by Cumalot
The supercharger definitely cost more. Which will give me more power? Let say a supercharger vs. 50hp shot of NOS? Or vs. 75hp, or 100hp shot of NOS? I'm thinking right now which one I should save my money up for. One thing I like about the supercharger is that you don't have to go refill the bottle. Who would win if someone has a supercharger, and someone else have the above mentioned NOS setup? And what about cost? I know that the supercharger is about $3,500? And including labor for the install probably run around the $4k range? How much would a 100hp shot of NOS cost? $1k?

Old 11-28-2000, 08:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, if you get a dry kit. Thats only about 500-600 dollars. You have to get a few extras. Like a bottle heater and maybe some gauges. So say 700ish. Thats for a simple dry kit. Super charger. 3500? With the SC you always have the power. But your car is gonna whine all the time. And its 3500. So sure, if you're willing to spend 3500, then SC is the way to go. But, if you're not quite willing, nitrous. Personally, I don't think I have the need for a SC. I'm gonna take the low road first. Get the nitrous. If I'm happy with it.. Then fine. If not.. then save up for the SC.. As for a race. Two similar maximas, one running SC one running say, 75 shot of NOS. Should run comparable times in a short race. But if you don't have enough pressure in your bottle or you're out of juice all together. Well, you're gonna lose. I'd shrug and say, oh well.. Gotta fill the bottle.. No biggie. Law enforcement don't like seeing a bottle in your trunk either.. =) I'm a mellow guy, so I think I may not even have the bottle in the car all the time. I mean, I've lost maybe 3 races the whole time I've had the car.. beat a long list of others.. I don't need to hunt camaros or vettes. Not all the time anyways..But, sometimes I just feel like being evil.. Muahahha.. =)

ZuM
Old 11-28-2000, 09:12 AM
BlkCat

SC

Ever since I had the sc installed I feel like I had an engine transplant. The whine of the sc is negligible as my wife hasn't even noticed and I'm used to it now. Mind you, she forgets how her car sounds sometimes! On WOT the engine just explodes and on my first ride it just scared me how fast the power comes on. I've developed a case of heavyfootitis lately. Its a great feeling to know that power is on tap anytime I want it. The Cdn/US exchange killed me but I've wanted this mod for 2 years.

Other mods:
Koni Sports
Eibachs Pro-Kit
Straight pipe before the Resonator
Courtesy FSTB
Clear bumper lights

Other than these mods no one can really tell if my Max has been modded. Just the words "Stillen" and "Supercharged" beneath the rear brake lights on the trunk lid. It still looks stock until you park it next to a stock Max.
My ideal stealth car!

Old 11-28-2000, 09:25 AM

I have the whining sound without the $3500 cost, at least when my wife rides with me. :-)
Old 11-28-2000, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: SC

Love the sleeper look. =) Sometimes you just don't want the attention.. =) Well, you did have an engine transplant.. Your engine moves as much air as a V8 now.. Hehe.

ZuM

Originally posted by Vandanno
Ever since I had the sc installed I feel like I had an engine transplant. The whine of the sc is negligible as my wife hasn't even noticed and I'm used to it now. Mind you, she forgets how her car sounds sometimes! On WOT the engine just explodes and on my first ride it just scared me how fast the power comes on. I've developed a case of heavyfootitis lately. Its a great feeling to know that power is on tap anytime I want it. The Cdn/US exchange killed me but I've wanted this mod for 2 years.

Other mods:
Koni Sports
Eibachs Pro-Kit
Straight pipe before the Resonator
Courtesy FSTB
Clear bumper lights

Other than these mods no one can really tell if my Max has been modded. Just the words "Stillen" and "Supercharged" beneath the rear brake lights on the trunk lid. It still looks stock until you park it next to a stock Max.
My ideal stealth car!