4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Agx ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 05:09 PM

Agx ???

Hey guys just purchased the KYB/AGX kit from EatRice. I thought that these struts were supposed to be stiff!!!! For some reason, It seems that I'm able to push the strut-post down bear handed on any setting. I tried the same for the fronts, it took a little more effort to push, but got the same results. Is it possible that my set may be bad??? I would assume that pushing them down by hand would be effortly impossible. Any feedback would be great...
Thanks..
Old 04-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Agx ???

Originally posted by Morfeus17
Hey guys just purchased the KYB/AGX kit from EatRice. I thought that these struts were supposed to be stiff!!!! For some reason, It seems that I'm able to push the strut-post down bear handed on any setting. I tried the same for the fronts, it took a little more effort to push, but got the same results. Is it possible that my set may be bad??? I would assume that pushing them down by hand would be effortly impossible. Any feedback would be great...
Thanks..
Do this....push the piston all the way into the housing, then hold the strut so that the piston rises upward when you let it go. It should come all the way up in about 10 seconds. If it's a lot more, then your shock is busted...but I doubt this would be the case.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:31 PM

Okay!! I was able to do this with all four struts. The fronts took about 11 seconds to fully retract. The rears took 10 sec to fully retract. I guess this means they are good. However the stiffness issue remains the same.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Morfeus17
Okay!! I was able to do this with all four struts. The fronts took about 11 seconds to fully retract. The rears took 10 sec to fully retract. I guess this means they are good. However the stiffness issue remains the same.
Struts act a little different when you try to compress them very quickly like will happen after you install them. With only your body weight pushing down on them they will compress very smoothly all the way to the end of their travel with some resistance. It should take a little less time to compress them than it will for them to come back up. Also, when they are shipped air will get into the valve-body and will cause them to make a little noise when you compress them. Kind of a sqwishing sound. It is a good idea to push them all the way down to the end of their travel and let them come all the way up about ten times to get the air out and store them in the upright position until you can install them.

Believe everyone who has posted about them being stiff. They are. If you have an SE they will be a little stiffer than OE. If you have a GLE (like me) or a GXE they will be a lot firmer.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:43 PM

Do this: try (ahem) "jerking off" the strut rod by moving it up and down quickly as this will simulate the oscillations of the spring. I guarentee you wont be able to.

Remember it is the spring that supports the weight of the car. The strut keeps the oscillations in check.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:58 PM

OKay thanks for the info on that. I'll push them down several times and stand them upright!!! I'll keep you posted... Thanks...
Old 04-30-2002, 05:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just wait till he gets them installed and takes his car for the first ride with them... He'll know what firm is all about.