4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fresh battery -- DEFINITELY worth doing early

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 11:32 AM

Fresh battery -- DEFINITELY worth doing early

I had been riding around in my original battery all this time (over 7 years!). Towards the end of the winter, starting was noticeably tougher but still successful. It wasn't until I left my stereo running on battery power for about 15 mins when I discovered that my battery just couldn't take it. Fortunately I could roll start it (reverse worked, oddly enough) and drive myself to an auto parts store.

So I got a new battery (a nice 84 month Energizer). Well, I couldn't believe how quickly my car started. A small fraction of a second and *click* the car is running. All lights (int/ext) seemed a little brighter. But overall, the car just feels better. When slipping into neutral and watching the RPM's drop, it doesn't feel even the slightest bit weak when hitting idle speed.

If you're getting toward the tail end of your battery life, change it NOW. Don't wait for your battery to die. You will definitely appreciate the renewed energy your car will have with a new battery.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Sports Button FTW

i have a 95 with stock nissan battery...my car sometimes takes a while to start and i have to hold the key in for a minute....i'll be changing mine soon....
Old 04-30-2002, 01:50 PM

I got a 95 and i had the same problem with the delayed starts. I changed my battery, and my plugs and still its a big sluggish..could be the starter or the alternator..
Old 04-30-2002, 02:30 PM

I have a 98, and I was wondering if I should change mine. Sometimes I'll start my car and go to roll down my window and I find that none of the power options work. But then after driving for a bit it all comes back, would that eb the battery or the altenator. it's an original nissan battery. Or could it be something else. Actually also when I lock my car using my remote the flashers don't flash. Usually you here to clicks when you are inside the car but I only here one. The hazord fuse is fine.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:59 PM

hey elcid, change yours. i have a 98 and it made a hash load of difference. i had problems starting in the morning too
Old 04-30-2002, 05:49 PM

I think I will then. Any suggestions on brand size? Thanks!

Originally posted by iregula
hey elcid, change yours. i have a 98 and it made a hash load of difference. i had problems starting in the morning too
Old 04-30-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
i have to hold the key in for a minute....i'll be changing mine soon....
A minute???

That doesn't sound too healthy .... I'm surprised the battery can even take repeated deep discharges without failing (plates shorting, etc).

You ever looked at the inside of a battery after it's been in use for 5 years? YUKK!!! Heat & low fluid is the main cause of battery failure.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:44 PM

i have a comment

i know a lot of drivers who suck their batteris dry of water...make sure you check the water level in your battery whenever you change your oil..use distilled water and check for corrosion on the terminals. Also make sure you wear SAFETY goggles when doing so...acid aint fun to play with. With this you can extend your battery life many times over. For those who have problems like running a min until your accessories work...it sounds like your battery is sucked dry.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by elcid
I have a 98, and I was wondering if I should change mine. Sometimes I'll start my car and go to roll down my window and I find that none of the power options work. But then after driving for a bit it all comes back, would that eb the battery or the altenator. it's an original nissan battery. Or could it be something else. Actually also when I lock my car using my remote the flashers don't flash. Usually you here to clicks when you are inside the car but I only here one. The hazord fuse is fine.
When your car is running, the power comes from the alternator. With an old battery, the alternator has to work harder to recharge the battery, so that's why it affects the car while it is running. It could be that your battery acid level is low, or it was a cheap one that is beginning to die. You can have it tested at any gas station (or Pep Boys). Might be time for a new one.

Any place where you buy batteries will have a chart (or computer) that will tell you which one is compatible with your car. As for brand, I'd stay away from anything really cheap or with an unknown name. The rated lifespan of the battery is important too. Don't get anything less than 60 months.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: Fresh battery -- DEFINITELY worth doing early

Originally posted by Gary95
I couldn't believe how quickly my car started. A small fraction of a second and *click* the car is running.
Me too. Last weekend for no obvious reason the original 5 1/2 year old battery couldn't start my car. Replaced with a new one. Wonderful...