4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Great race wit bad ending

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Sports Button FTW

Great race wit bad ending

***Please read guys, long but very important for me ****

yup, another bad story from mecca to you guys. This is how it started.........

Me and my friend decide to race on rt 22 in union, new jersey. He has a 92 integra with intake and exhaust. You can say he is a little better than stock plus he weighs 150 pounds. I on the other hand have a below stock maxima due to no performance mods and heavy 18" chrome rims on my car, plus i weigh 260, almost twice his weight. So we go at it, not the race we wanted. There was a lot of traffic but i kept up with him and i am more than certain that if we are both stock, i would crush him easily. ALSO, he has 5 speed stick and i'm here rocking the automatic. So this is how the race starts

We are head on driving a good 25 mph and i'm waiting for him to get this on, i hear his intake kick in so i floor it, now we about dead even and going about 40 to 50 mph and i hear him put it in the next gear, i believe it was 3rd cause he was going to fast to drop it in second...so anyway, once he drops it, i speed ahead of him (he's a great stick driver, i was driving with him. He waits till close to redline to change gears to get full use of each gear) and he's at like my back door or beginning of passanger door....we both going at same speed constant up to like 60 to 65, and i'm still ahead by a little, then traffic kicks in and i slow down and we are dead even again. He's a better driver so he maneuvers and gets ahead of me but when we reach straight aways wit no traffic, i either keep up wit him a few yards behind or move up a little. This is with my heavy a$$ automagic vs his light integra with intake and exhaust and most importantly, 5 speed!!!

So we call it quits, he still talking trash although deep inside he knew if i had stock wheels or we both had stock cars i would eat him alive. So we driving home, it starts raining and i hit this pot hole on this bridge. Huge thump and i was going about 40 mph when i hit it. It was so loud he thought HE had a flat and he was like 30 feet in front of me...so i slow down to the side listening to my rim make this flap sound (definite flat and probably a bent rim). I get out, and see the flat. We a block away from gas station so he uses this thing which temporarily inflates tire. it's like half way inflated and we drive down the block slowly to the gas station. I am about 25 feet from air pump when i hear this evil grind on my left side. I slow down to a stop and wonder if i should continue. being so close i decide to move up a little more by slowly letting go of brake, i hear the screech again. So i get out of car and wait for my friend to come with jack. We jack car up and remove bolts. We try to take off rim and it gives us resistance. So we use a little elbow strengh and pull out HALF OF THE RIM, yup you heard me HALF OF THE RIM!!!!!

I'm like oh my god, what's going on, the other half is still in the other tire. I forgot to mention that when i got out of car, the tire was behind the rim, i was riding on rim those last few seconds....Now i'm ****ed as all hell, my friends telling me they some fake chrome or aluminum cause chrome not supposed to split like that. I have NEVER HEARD OF RIMS CRACKING IN HALF LIKE THIS BEFORE....i still have receipt and they are about to be a year old....

MY QUESTION IS THIS>.........................

i want to use this car for driving and speeding so chrome is out of the question for me now, but i have a few options....

1) complain to guy about split rim and make him give me a new one free of charge or heavy discount (hopefully)

2)sell 3 other rims or sell stock rims and get 4th gen SE rims and sport those for summer and winter

3) sell chrome and stock rims and get some street racing rims with stock type tires so they dont' pop so easily...

I don't know what to do from here, nor do i know my rights as a customer. My friends say i can sue city for such a heavy pot hole cause i could have had a bad accident, or they say i can sue the guy that sold me the rims cause they destroyed in less than one year (only had them on for really 6 months, took off during late fall and winter) or not sue but get new one for free cause all rims and tires should have like a one year warranty. He never mentioned a warranty to me but i think we discussed it before i actually decided to buy rims and tires from him....i know this is a long story but guys, i'm shot in the foot and i have no idea what to do...your ideas and recommendations are highly appreciated. Also, if any of you willing to sell or trade your stock se wheels, please let me know...thanks everyone
Old 05-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

chrome rims are heavy and weak

sorry about that

I was always scared when racing with my 19"s on.... bending a rim is expensive breaking a rim blows...
Old 05-01-2002, 12:15 AM
Sports Button FTW

yea man, i don't know what to do...sporting the donut...second time this freaking month...sucks man....how do u break a rim?! i did it and i still don't know how i did it....any ideas on what i should do?
Old 05-01-2002, 12:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by meccanoble
yea man, i don't know what to do...sporting the donut...second time this freaking month...sucks man....how do u break a rim?! i did it and i still don't know how i did it....any ideas on what i should do?
depends on where u bought the rim.. like if ya happened to buy it at a place like Discount tires they will replace it for free i believe...

maybe ur rims have a warranty..

cheap quality rims arent that hard to break... I've heard of people breaking Katana and Motegi rims

the process where rims are chromed weaken the rims and makes it easier to crack and break

the expensive Japanese rims actually Anodize the rims so it looks chrome but it remains strong (sank you Blitz)

easiest but expesnvei solution is to buy one rim and one tire
Old 05-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by carnal_c30

depends on where u bought the rim.. like if ya happened to buy it at a place like Discount tires they will replace it for free i believe...

maybe ur rims have a warranty..

cheap quality rims arent that hard to break... I've heard of people breaking Katana and Motegi rims

the process where rims are chromed weaken the rims and makes it easier to crack and break

the expensive Japanese rims actually Anodize the rims so it looks chrome but it remains strong (sank you Blitz)

easiest but expesnvei solution is to buy one rim and one tire
yea, seems like the fastest thing to do as well...i've been checking out 2000 maxima SE rims and i think they look real nice and sturdy....but i want to trade these and my stock for them which is actually a super deal but finding someone to do this will take a life time and a half.....might have to take easy but expensive way out.........
Old 05-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Former Sponsor

yea, seems like the fastest thing to do as well...i've been checking out 2000 maxima SE rims and i think they look real nice and sturdy....but i want to trade these and my stock for them which is actually a super deal but finding someone to do this will take a life time and a half.....might have to take easy but expensive way out.........
talk to George aka 'Mr. Nismo' he has plenty of sets of rims to sell ya!
Old 05-01-2002, 01:03 AM

Do you mind posting pictures of your split rim? Is it broken like 2 semi circles or is it broken like two frisbies? I have heard of 3 piece rims, but not 2 piece rims. You could try to get a new rim from the dealer...and threaten to tell the better business bureau if he ****s you around. When you get a new set I'd sell them for all they're worth. Get a good set of japanese or italian rims that you will be happy with. by all means stay away from that taiwan/china crap. btw, where were your rims made? it might be stamped on the inside of the rim.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:08 AM

I'm no lawyer but here's my 2 cents anyway. You can't sue the dealer or the manufacturer of the wheel because the wheel was designed to be driven with an inflated tire on it. Driving with a flat tire will void any warranty you got with the wheel. You can probably sue the local g'ment because they neglected to properly maintain the roads but they have practically unlimited resources and your just trying to retrieve the price of a wheel and tire. What I would do is try to see if the dealer would give you a rim or sell you one for cheap and sell the whole set. I'm originally from New York so I know the roads can kill just about any plus 2 wheel combo. 18's and larger look sweet but they're just not practical in the northeast. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Kanaka
Do you mind posting pictures of your split rim? Is it broken like 2 semi circles or is it broken like two frisbies? I have heard of 3 piece rims, but not 2 piece rims. You could try to get a new rim from the dealer...and threaten to tell the better business bureau if he ****s you around. When you get a new set I'd sell them for all they're worth. Get a good set of japanese or italian rims that you will be happy with. by all means stay away from that taiwan/china crap. btw, where were your rims made? it might be stamped on the inside of the rim.
all i have is a disposable and this stupid webcam that's acting up....i'll definitely post pics in the future though, but i'm going to call dealership i got it from right now and see what they can do for me...this really sucks....what if they don't sell that style anymore? what should i do?
Old 05-01-2002, 07:10 AM
I need a truck

man that really sucks ... are you still going to do the 5 speed conversion
Old 05-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Sports Button FTW

i have to

i don't care if my car is slow as a hyundai, i just need to control my car the way i want to plus this new job i'm getting delivery will put good mileage on my car so with all that driving i don't want to sleep on the wheel...STICK ALL THE WAY, i'm calling them right now....

oh i tried to take pics but my web cam batteries are almost dead so the flash isn't working so all i see is blackness...gonna replace the batter and get back to yaw wit pics.....
Old 05-01-2002, 08:32 AM

wut brand rims were these
Old 05-01-2002, 08:44 AM

Weird things happen to you alot Meccanoble.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Stillmatic
Weird things happen to you alot Meccanoble.
because he never puts the donut on right away - dumbass be driving around with a flat tire last time too
Old 05-01-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
wut brand rims were these
18" vault chrome - It is what it says in his sig.

SuDZ
Old 05-01-2002, 07:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

***UPDATE*****

went to shop and complained, told him this should never happen especially with 2,000 dollar rims...he siad he seen this before and he understands why i am mad so he says i'm still covered under warranty but rims are always tested under certain pressures...for 2000 bucks, that pressure better be covered for a million pounds, but he says he gonna ship it back to them and let them evaluate the rim and they should get back to him..likely i should get a new one for free or a heavy discount on it...

this other customer there who makes stuff with aluminum, rims, etc. said that this happens sometimes when steel or what not is not cooled correctly....so he says that if it was him, he would call Vault and complain heavily making threats saying i almost got in an accident and that i will sue or make public complaints about their equipment because it's faulty, rims aren't supposed to buckle like that under pressure, blah blah this and blah blah that...he convinced me but i don't have the patence to go through court and stuff...so i'm going to see what's up...

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS: sell these rims to someone who drives for all show and no speed, warning u now, and will buy them off of me so i use this money to do conversion and save up during the summer for either sports rims or some 5th gen stock rims....i'll have the 4th one either way (pay or not pay) anyone interested in some nice rims?

go to http://www-ec.njit.edu/~cxo8383/MAXIMA to see how good they can look on a rice color what u think they'll look in a black or white?
Old 05-01-2002, 07:39 PM

try suing the governemnt
Old 05-01-2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by iregula
try suing the governemnt
Overall if the warranty doesn't pick it up (which it might not), you're better off going with insurance if you have full coverage. You're not going to get anything from the Govt. and even if you were to sue it would take forever. Bad things happen so you just have to do what you can with what you're handed.
-hype
Old 05-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Sports Button FTW

i don't have full coverage....what i'll do is hope they give me something. If manufacturer doesn't, i'll make personal call to them and try something. If all fails, i'll buy a new one hopefully at a good price and call it a day.. Once i get the new one i'm selling them all.....f that and getting some 5th gen stock or some racing rims....gotta be atleast 18 though.....pray for me guys...this REALLY sucks
Old 05-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The manufactuer should not be held responsible for this wheel failure since you smashed into an excessively large pothole. Just because the wheels are made out of metal doesn't mean they're unbreakable. With enough force, metal will snap just like anything else. A 3000lb car doing 80mph hitting a 3-4" deep vertical wall (aka pothole) will put an enormous amount of force on a very small section of the wheel. Chances are your wheels are cast alumninum that has been chromed. Casting is the weak plus chroming reduces strength even more. When cast wheels are forced, they snap and break like you described. IMO, you got ripped off paying $2000 for these rims and tires. When you run excessively large wheels with ultra low profile tires you had better know where you're driving and have a keen eye for surface inperfections and it would probably be wise to keep the racing on the track. I've seen plenty of 17+" rims that are shaped like footballs after guys have nailed decent potholes.

You're best bet is to call the city and make a claim. In some instances they will fix what was broke. Unfortunately, it's at their degression. I can't believe you don't have full coverage on your Max while living in Jersey. You're crazy to put $2000 on a car that's not fully insured.

Dave
Old 05-01-2002, 09:16 PM
FJC

Mecca...

I've hit pots w/my MOMO IDEA's a lot harder than yours and they bent/warped. Good rims will NOT crack like yours did...

I had the same problem with one of my bikes before. Magnesium wheels crack but steel should not easily...

I would start posting stuff and send an e-mail to vault CCing some other corporates at Vault along with someone with road safety (give them a scare).

You never know....

Good luck bro...
Old 05-01-2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by FJC
Mecca...

I would start posting stuff and send an e-mail to vault CCing some other corporates at Vault along with someone with road safety (give them a scare).

You never know....

Good luck bro...
I would at least give Vault some time to respond. Hey, who knows...maybe they'll replace his tire for free without any hassles? Give them a chance first then if they jerk you around...IT'S ON!!! But there's no need for slandering their name...yet.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:56 PM

***UPDATE*****

went to shop and complained, told him this should never happen especially with 2,000 dollar rims...he siad he seen this before and he understands why i am mad so he says i'm still covered under warranty but rims are always tested under certain pressures...for 2000 bucks, that pressure better be covered for a million pounds, but he says he gonna ship it back to them and let them evaluate the rim and they should get back to him..likely i should get a new one for free or a heavy discount on it...

this other customer there who makes stuff with aluminum, rims, etc. said that this happens sometimes when steel or what not is not cooled correctly....so he says that if it was him, he would call Vault and complain heavily making threats saying i almost got in an accident and that i will sue or make public complaints about their equipment because it's faulty, rims aren't supposed to buckle like that under pressure, blah blah this and blah blah that...he convinced me but i don't have the patence to go through court and stuff...so i'm going to see what's up...

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS: sell these rims to someone who drives for all show and no speed, warning u now, and will buy them off of me so i use this money to do conversion and save up during the summer for either sports rims or some 5th gen stock rims....i'll have the 4th one either way (pay or not pay) anyone interested in some nice rims?

go to http://www-ec.njit.edu/~cxo8383/MAXIMA to see how good they can look on a rice color what u think they'll look in a black or white?
you hate ur chrome rims that bad? It slowed you down that much or what? How much of a difference was there?
Old 06-16-2002, 07:28 PM

Wow, for once I am grateful for my 15" factory alloys with a 60 series tire on it. It is hard to bend those things!
Old 06-16-2002, 09:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

yea and 17" alloy 2k rims are just as good and MUCh more stylish....i don't hate chrome, just hate what it does to the car besides looks...(slows it down, more careful driving)
Old 06-17-2002, 01:59 AM

yea and 17" alloy 2k rims are just as good and MUCh more stylish....i don't hate chrome, just hate what it does to the car besides looks...(slows it down, more careful driving)
You should have kept those rims..They were pretty tight