4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help, my car is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 05:17 PM

Help, my car is dead!

3 days ago, I installed APC wiring upgrade harnesses. I hooked the wires onto the + side of battery and ground to the fenders. Everything seemed fine.
Next day, the car took a bit longer to start, but drove fine.
Two days later, the car took even longer to start, and this morning, the car took a really long time to start, and while I was driving, the engine stutters, and RPM doesn't go up even though I'm pushing the gas...
Then the engine dies WHILE driving. I got it to start again, and the car moved but without any power. Luckily my car made to the parking lot and died again. Now the engine starts then the engine dies after a short while.
My stereo system works fine, all the light come on fine.
I had my battery for 4 years. I'm just hoping it's the battery that needs replacement, not the alternator....
Any ideas what might be wrong?
Old 05-03-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Help, my car is dead!

Originally posted by MaximaEX
3 days ago, I installed APC wiring upgrade harnesses. I hooked the wires onto the + side of battery and ground to the fenders. Everything seemed fine.
Next day, the car took a bit longer to start, but drove fine.
Two days later, the car took even longer to start, and this morning, the car took a really long time to start, and while I was driving, the engine stutters, and RPM doesn't go up even though I'm pushing the gas...
Then the engine dies WHILE driving. I got it to start again, and the car moved but without any power. Luckily my car made to the parking lot and died again. Now the engine starts then the engine dies after a short while.
My stereo system works fine, all the light come on fine.
I had my battery for 4 years. I'm just hoping it's the battery that needs replacement, not the alternator....
Any ideas what might be wrong?
Check the harness you put on, sounds like you have a slow drain on the battery. Battery goes under 12 volts the car runs like s*it. Computer needs at least 12 volts to function properly.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmmm.............?????

This sounds familiar, the same thing was happening with my brothers 95 GXE. But it turned out to be a bad MAF, and a crank sensor. Also when he was trying to start it, the check engine light came on. So we took it to a shop, and told us that those two sensor were dead.