4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please advise: Don's VB + torque converter versus 5 spd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 04:46 PM

Please advise: Don's VB + torque converter versus 5 spd?

Hey, I have been an auto max owner for 2 years now, and enjoy spirited driving. I have an auto though, and surprsingly, have not driven a stick, but have always wanted to own a car with own. After being on this board for a while, I have heard about the virtues of a stick. I love my car, SE, leather, beautiful, and am thinking about a 5 spd conversion. I have already bought a VB and am waiting on it, but i now I thought of selling it and saving money (only like $500 for the conversion). Please let me know your opinions, also:

which is faster and by how much:

96 SE, Y pipe, bpipe, RT cat, hks muffler, CAI, UDP, 18X8.5 rims, and agx/sprint, AUTO WITH VB AND TORQUE CONVERTER.

or the same same car minus (AUTO WITH VB AND TORQUE CONVERTER) wih a 5SPD CONVERSION?

How is it different off the line? Is stick really that much more fun? Difficult to learn? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Please advise: Don's VB + torque converter versus 5 spd?

Originally posted by brodaiga
Hey, I have been an auto max owner for 2 years now, and enjoy spirited driving. I have an auto though, and surprsingly, have not driven a stick, but have always wanted to own a car with own. After being on this board for a while, I have heard about the virtues of a stick. I love my car, SE, leather, beautiful, and am thinking about a 5 spd conversion. I have already bought a VB and am waiting on it, but i now I thought of selling it and saving money (only like $500 for the conversion). Please let me know your opinions, also:

which is faster and by how much:

96 SE, Y pipe, bpipe, RT cat, hks muffler, CAI, UDP, 18X8.5 rims, and agx/sprint, AUTO WITH VB AND TORQUE CONVERTER.

or the same same car minus (AUTO WITH VB AND TORQUE CONVERTER) wih a 5SPD CONVERSION?

How is it different off the line? Is stick really that much more fun? Difficult to learn? Thanks.
Are you saying its going to cost you $500 to do the conversion? I would like to see that!

DPW
Old 05-07-2002, 05:16 PM

I will sell the VB mod for $450. and have a maxima enthusiast do the labor on a conversion, estimates from others were around $1000 with selling my auto trans, giving me a total of around of around 500.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:55 PM

Someone is going to do the conversion for you for free?Pass his # this way. Cheapest price ive heard for labor was $600
Old 05-07-2002, 07:08 PM

Doesn't it suck when two people reply and not one actually answers your question? Anyway... I can't say for sure which car would be faster, but I can give you my opinion on driving a stick since both of my previous cars were standard and this is my first auto.

Driving with a stick is a lot of fun when you're launching fast, speeding through a twisty road, flying down a highway, or racing. It's not fun when you're in stop and go traffic or on a long trip and you just want to sit back and cruise without shifting when traffic comes.

Standard's are faster, both because you can choose to shift at the points that'll give you the best performance and because of how automatic's work.

Still, I miss driving stick. As far as whether it's worth it or not... you just need to decide if you're willing to put up with the headache of shifting when you don't want to do "spirited driving". If you're cool with that, go for it and don't worry about whether or not you'll be faster auto or stick.

And no, it's not hard to learn. After a week or two it'll be second nature...
Old 05-07-2002, 08:18 PM

Go with the 5 spd. I had an auto 97 and can't see myself going back to auto for a long time. 5 spd so much more fun to drive......if you don't have to sit in traffic very often. I agree with the previous post that traffic is a real pain in the ***.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:50 PM

ok -

my take on it? convert to 5spd. even with a torque converter, a 5spd should still be able to take you off the line without too much trouble (assuming they can drive-not hard to learn) b/c they can find the perfect place for optimal power vs traction on the launch..

also - automatic transmissions take more hp just in the tranny then a 5spd, so the 5spd will be faster anyways. automatics are nice sometimes (traffic, ) but 5spds are fun and I dont know why they feel soo much faster...

do the conversion, its worth it. I dont know about your 500$ estimate though, not to say it can't be done, I wouldn't count on it..

best of luck, if you have any questions, hit me up -

H
Old 05-07-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by hlh0501
ok -

my take on it? convert to 5spd. even with a torque converter, a 5spd should still be able to take you off the line without too much trouble (assuming they can drive-not hard to learn) b/c they can find the perfect place for optimal power vs traction on the launch..
Stock vs. car with your mods a 5-spd might be able to take you off the line, but you'd still win with ease. Don't believe people who tell you that you'll never be as fast as a stock 5-spd even with your mods. On the other hand, an equal 5-spd will always have the potential to be faster than you.

So mod for mod, no matter what you do, a 5-spd Max always has the potential to be faster.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:43 PM

When you guys say "Traffic" What exactly are you referring to? I live in brooklyn and there are alot of lights, like one every two blocks or so. Is that what you mean by traffic or do you mean stop and go rush hour traffic which is almost similar.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by MrBlank
When you guys say "Traffic" What exactly are you referring to? I live in brooklyn and there are alot of lights, like one every two blocks or so. Is that what you mean by traffic or do you mean stop and go rush hour traffic which is almost similar.
by traffic i mean when i get caught in two hour, 0mph then 2mph then 0mph driving.... that stuff - isnot quite as fun in a 5spd, and occasionally i find myself just wantin to kick it instead of foolin w/ shifting.. but for the other 99% of my life, I LOOOVE 5spd, thats why i converted

oh, and i wasn't saying a automatic maxima could never be as fast as a 5spd, definately not true. I was trying to say exactly what you were saying.. mod for mod, a 5spd should always be faster (until you get sub 10 second 1/4's, then auto's are better )
Old 05-07-2002, 09:49 PM

you have to change gears from 0 to 2mph?
Old 05-07-2002, 09:54 PM

no, but you have to ride the clutch, work the gas, and the brakes.. (yeah its not bad, i know, im tryin to make a point...) but compare it to just having to barely work the brake pedal...
Old 05-07-2002, 09:56 PM

No, but you will be if you're cruising along at 30, then you slow down to 0-5, then you're back up to 35, and then back down... and so on. It's especially bad on the highway where there's a big variation in speed.

If you like to drive, though, and you get the chance to do a lot of fast, fun driving.. go for it. It's worth it for the down side. I really wish I had gotten a 5-spd, I miss my stick
Old 05-08-2002, 12:42 PM

thanks for the replies, I think i'll do the conversion, now to find a person in my area...
Old 05-08-2002, 12:44 PM

HAH, you havent found a person yet to do it? I thought you had it all setup with those prices. the labor alone will be more than 500
Old 05-08-2002, 12:54 PM

Eh, just do it your self
Old 05-08-2002, 03:05 PM

HAH, you havent found a person yet to do it? I thought you had it all setup with those prices. the labor alone will be more than 500
check out the link below, Mr. Blank

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=5spd
Old 05-08-2002, 06:06 PM

??your going to do it yourself?

check out the link below, Mr. Blank

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=5spd
Old 05-08-2002, 06:22 PM

oh boy oh boy! i gotta jump in this...::drumroll:: once again the fastest max is an auto...............would i convert if even if it was for free..HELL NO. just mod the baby up and it just makes the bliss of beating a 5 speed with the closing, oh yeah i have a auto..lol
Old 05-08-2002, 08:03 PM

fastest max is an auto versus 5 spd

Not to mention, the fun of driving a five speed.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:20 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

If there is anyone in the Central Ohio area (Columbus/Delaware) who is considering doing the 5spd conversion...

You bring the car, and all the parts you need to do the swap, and I'll work with you to do the swap in my climate controlled 3-car workshop. I have all the regular tools/air/welder/hoist/tranny jack etc except a big lift, but I've swapped out more than one tranny in the last couple of months. If you work with me 50/50 then I won't charge for my labor. My free time is limited, so I can't help everyone out, but I'd love that chance to do this once or twice.

Anyone?

My experience is all self-taught, but I have rebuilt engines, swapped engines, clutches etc and rebuilt an automatic tranny (successfully!) This swap will be nothing new.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:27 PM

Oh - Do the 5spd swap. No contest.
BUT learn to drive a 5spd first, and see if you enjoy drivng 5spd. Otherwise it's like getting a tattoo without knowing what the design is gonna be - there's not much going back once you've done it!

Anyone who comes to me for the swap can get a lesson in driving stick in my stock '96 SE - I swear you will fall in love the very first time you hold 2nd to 4k rpm and then floor it... It brings a smile to my face every time I do that... The instant no-waiting-for-the-slushbox-to-wake-up kick in the butt is simply like driving a whole different car.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:49 PM

Hey, I live in Atlanta and Columbus is not that much farther from me (couple hours) than Jacksonville, FL is. If you can do the labor for free for me (assuming, I'll help), YOU ARE MY SAVIOR, you save me a lot of money that I need for other matters. It would be a great experience. I'll buy you lunch afterwards, lol. The problem is that I have school this summer. But I have some days off from June 6 to June 15. Can we work on it within any of those days? I will provide all parts, and support. How long do you think this will take because if it takes more than a day, I'll have to get a motel room or something, but it is still cheaper than paying for labor. I posted a link to the instructions below, for your reference. Please let me know if you can do it as I am on the verge of making a deicison, e-mail to: brodaiga@aol.com, thanks!!!

http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/...autoto5spd.htm
Old 05-08-2002, 08:55 PM

Can I drive your stock 96 se?I wanna know how it feels!

Originally posted by Scruit
Oh - Do the 5spd swap. No contest.
BUT learn to drive a 5spd first, and see if you enjoy drivng 5spd. Otherwise it's like getting a tattoo without knowing what the design is gonna be - there's not much going back once you've done it!

Anyone who comes to me for the swap can get a lesson in driving stick in my stock '96 SE - I swear you will fall in love the very first time you hold 2nd to 4k rpm and then floor it... It brings a smile to my face every time I do that... The instant no-waiting-for-the-slushbox-to-wake-up kick in the butt is simply like driving a whole different car.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:08 PM

Hey, I live in Atlanta and Columbus is not that much farther from me (couple hours) than Jacksonville, FL is. If you can do the labor for free for me (assuming, I'll help), YOU ARE MY SAVIOR, you save me a lot of money that I need for other matters. It would be a great experience. I'll buy you lunch afterwards, lol. The problem is that I have school this summer. But I have some days off from June 6 to June 15. Can we work on it within any of those days? I will provide all parts, and support. How long do you think this will take because if it takes more than a day, I'll have to get a motel room or something, but it is still cheaper than paying for labor. I posted a link to the instructions below, for your reference. Please let me know if you can do it as I am on the verge of making a deicison, e-mail to: brodaiga@aol.com, thanks!!!

http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/...autoto5spd.htm
Looks to me like about 12-15 hours, considering it would be a first for us both. The biggest risk is getting here and finding we're missing an important part - especially after the work has begun! As long as we don't wind up running to the parts store too often, it should be complete within 2 days at a reasonable pace, but be aware that there is a possibility we could get right in the middle and then be missing a vital part - gotta plan for that.

If you accept the responsibility of having all the needed parts available, then bring it on.

So far my world record for yanking a tranny is 3 hours from driving the car into the workshop to having the tranny on the workbench. The most difficult things will be just plugging the tranny and engine together (just muscle work and finnesse with the hoist!) and careful disassembly of things like the dash. We would have my '96 as a reference of how a 5spd should go together.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:25 PM

ok, you have got a deal, I will now invest a lot of time and research in obtaining a good trans and getting all the necessary parts, can u send me your e-mail or phone # so I can get in contact with you, to let you know on the progress of my parts, thanks again.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:03 PM

goodluck boys! i love seeing someone else getting started on it, its exciting for the auto owner i know that - plan on 1 day more then you expect... never know whats gonna go on, best of luck!

H