4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help urgently....VB mod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 08:57 AM

Need help urgently....VB mod.

I just did the swap to Don's VB mod. Problem is that it will not shift into 3rd at all. Don is supposed to call me back and help me out, but I figured I would post anyway. I have done all the checking; no binding on the linkage, enough fluid, no leaks, harness plugged in, etc.

Can someone who has done the install please help. The shift from 1st to 2nd is awesome, but it just will not shift up into 3rd at all. Pushing the O/D button does nothing either. I have taken the pan off twice to see if anything had broken or come loose, nothing. Someone please tell me if there is anything either electrical or mechanical that I can look at before dropping the VB off again.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds like the linkage. You said you checked that and everything looked right?

The little arm that comes down is suposed to sit in a little groove on a piston that slides in and out of the TB. Is that arm sitting correctly? The car might think its supposed to be in 2nd if this isn't right.

Hope this helps. IM me (MadMaxxx95), or email if you have any other questions.

Do you have a digital camera??
Old 04-27-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by MadMax95
Sounds like the linkage. You said you checked that and everything looked right?

The little arm that comes down is suposed to sit in a little groove on a piston that slides in and out of the TB. Is that arm sitting correctly? The car might think its supposed to be in 2nd if this isn't right.

Hope this helps. IM me (MadMaxxx95), or email if you have any other questions.

Do you have a digital camera??
Good point, but not it. I found the problem. Unbelievable as it may seem a .50 part was causing all the trouble. One of the four flat o-rings that seal the orifice between the upper VB and the tranny case was busted. I kept looking and looking and double and triple checking until I said screw it and took it down again. As soon as I let it loose I notice that one of those O-rings was missing. When I looked I noticed it just sitting on top of the VB. I checked it out and sure enough it was ripped. Today being a Sat. I played hell to try and find one, finally found a place about 50 miles from here that had the rebuild kit with the four freaking 0-rings. I had to buy the entire rebuild kit. Not a single dealer in all Atlanta had anything, worthless. $60 later, she is shifting like a dream.

Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:18 AM

$60... Damn

Glad to hear everything is working right...

You happy with the VB?
Old 04-29-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by MadMax95
$60... Damn

Glad to hear everything is working right...

You happy with the VB?
So far..ABSOLUTELY. It is unreal how much different Don's mod is compared to the only other one (affordable) available (Transgo Shift kit). I took one of the guys from the SE forum out sunday after we finished his N2O install. He was grinning from ear to ear after he rode with me, and I didn't even hit the N2O. It is exactly as advertised; firmer shifts when regular driving, no noticeable change when putting around, and it breaks loose when you get on it. The install is the key here. Since I did it 3x over two days, I can probably do it with my eyes closed, but the install is the key. You have to follow the directions exactly because as I stated above a stupid .50 cent o-ring will NOT let your car shift gears. I spent about 6 hours tracking down the problem. Wasted a whole case of synthetic tranny fluid. I think that if you take your time on the install and check everything before putting it back, 3-4 hours of labor is worth the price of admission. Really, no joke.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:48 PM

check your mail, but here is a copy of my message:

Hey, I read your post with the VB MOD install. I live in Atlanta too, and will soon be putting in a VB mod on my max. It is a core swap, but I have never worked on the transmission before and would like some help/advice in this. I'm also installing a UDP (unorthodox racing under drive pulley in the transmission) as it is installed close to the same area as the VB (I think). I would be willing to pay for advice to get the job "done right" because a new transmission and the labor to install it is insanely expensive. I live in Alpharetta. Let me know. Thanks for your time.

brodaiga@aol.com
Old 04-29-2002, 10:02 PM

It's not that hard. Just follow the directions from www.mobiletek.net and that's it for the VB. The fluid dripping down is more of a pain then anything...

As for the pulleys, I don't know...

Don't be intimidated...

Old 04-29-2002, 10:10 PM

How much is this mod? and does it just help the car shift? How does it work?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:17 PM

It makes the car shift faster, more abrupt...

http://www.mobiletek.net/vb.html

That should be more in depth...
Old 04-29-2002, 10:21 PM
RBa

Originally posted by i30dude
How much is this mod? and does it just help the car shift? How does it work?
It runs around $450 plus shipping and ATF... It makes your shifts quicker and more firmer... The installation get's real messy so prepare to lose a shirt or 2...
Old 05-08-2002, 07:10 PM

faster then 5 speed?

is this true of what Don says:
"Your shifts are faster than a 5-speed (and of course, you'll never miss one). "
Old 05-08-2002, 08:21 PM

Re: faster then 5 speed?

Originally posted by itsgt
is this true of what Don says:
"Your shifts are faster than a 5-speed (and of course, you'll never miss one). "
technically, it's true. As for how it feels or runs, my car definetly feels substantially better than w/o the mod. It shifts hard and has none of the "luxury" lag associated with our factory shifts.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:14 PM

Yes, it does shift faster than a five speed, but the power loss from the "slush box" is still there...
Old 05-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The shifts are faster, but the lag is still there. I went to the track and didn't see any improvement. Others that have the VB upgrade posted similar result.

I'm going to just have to put up with the slushbox for now until I get enough money to do a 5spd conversion. Either that or get me an used 5spd Maxima. I have to see which is better financially speaking.