4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KYB/AGX GC Install comments - long

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 08:29 PM

KYB/AGX GC Install comments - long

I write these comments for the folks who are scared to pick up a wrench.

Two weekends ago I installed KYG/AGX and Ground controls on my car. This was the first time I have ever done suspension work. While I had a friend help, I did most of the work myself. Due to plain unfamiliarity and rain it basicaly took 14 hours over two days(don't flame, it was my first time). Basically I used the Haynes manual and many valuable comments and write ups from this site. It is not hard - If I could do it any of you guys could. Next time around, I'm sure I could do it in less than 5 hours.

Anyway as a newbie here is what I had trouble with:
-Harbour Freight red spring compressor - I wasted a lot of time figuring how to get all for sides on the spring.

-Front Struts - very hard to pull out without coming close to damaging the CV boots - any suggestion so when you pull the assembly out it doesn't rest on the boot? (I didn't damage mine, but came close.

-Rear shock assembly - in order to get the piston nut off - use vice grips (IF I knew this beforehand I would have saved several hours)

-Sliding rear GC threaded sleeve over black plastic sleeve: Here's the trick and I'm not sure how to describe this - use grease, slide the threaded assembly as far over the black sleeve as you can. Then take a 10-25 pound weight lifting plate (from a gym), put it on top of the threaded sleeve and have someone stand on top of it...I know this sounds weird but it works. If you can't get it all the way down, cut off any excess black sleeve and the weight of the car will push it the rest of the way down.

The ride is a bit harsh - but not as bad as people are saying. No more of that ridiculous floaty feel when you hit bumps at high speeds.

Anyway - if any newbies who are doing this and have questions just PM me.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:21 PM

it too took me 14 hours to do it the first time, the extra time is probably attributed to changing struts/shocks, the second time i did it, it was done in less than 4 hours and i was talking to a friend about his car the whole time...

how do you like the ground controls overall? are we talking a ton stiffer than the stocks? Every bump felt? thanks...
Old 05-08-2002, 09:25 PM

Yes. Basically you do feel every bump. While I often have a long commute, I've surprisingly gotten use to it very quickly. It is harsh, but it doesn't take long to adapt to the ride.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: KYB/AGX GC Install comments - long

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
-Front Struts - very hard to pull out without coming close to damaging the CV boots - any suggestion so when you pull the assembly out it doesn't rest on the boot? (I didn't damage mine, but came close.
You can physically compress the strut before removing it, especially when they are old. Remove all the bolts, and push it up. It won't move fast or very far, but it will move, just enough so you don't damage anything.

Hope this helps...

I'm also riding on AGX/GC's, like you said, you get used to the bumps... I love the setup...
Old 05-09-2002, 05:27 AM

Your not a Newbie
Old 05-09-2002, 07:32 AM

One more interesting thing. I think one of my rear stuts was blown or atleast in poor shape (oil over it).

After the GC/KYG install I went from getting 400 miles per full tank to 450 miles per full tank - not too shabby.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:35 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

One more interesting thing. I think one of my rear stuts was blown or atleast in poor shape (oil over it).

After the GC/KYG install I went from getting 400 miles per full tank to 450 miles per full tank - not too shabby.
I be lucky to get 325 miles per full tank.

Are you implying that the smaller springs has something to do with your gas milage?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:37 AM

Not really - I am implying that if one of your rear shocks is in bad shape (whether blown or old) it has a direct impact on your milage.

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

I be lucky to get 325 miles per full tank.

Are you implying that the smaller springs has something to do with your gas milage?
Old 05-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Not really - I am implying that if one of your rear shocks is in bad shape (whether blown or old) it has a direct impact on your milage.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good Job!!!Glad to hear you didnt pay anyone to do it for you. The front strut assembly since it was your first time is understandable, I am not going to lie to do my front Konis it took me 6 hours on the front only. To get that front strut off in the front after you loosen the 17mm bolts on the bottom you loosen the 3 19mm nuts on top remove the bolts and lift the strut up pull on and bring the strut towrards the rear of the brakes you should have enough clearance with out damaging your CV boot. Either way way to go.