4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Battery Died After Playing Music For 10 Min.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 03:43 AM

My Battery Died After Playing Music For 10 Min.

I was just chilling listing to music for like ten min, and my car wasnt started. and my battery died! I was really upset, so what do you guys think is the best battery for a maxima or whatever, i also have street glow so maybe a really good battery would be a good idea.Thank
Old 05-09-2002, 04:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sears Gold! No lie!!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 05:16 AM

Sears Die Hard battery

or

Yellow Optima battery (? I forgot the brand name..)
Old 05-09-2002, 06:01 AM

if you have a system in your car , the battery will die much much faster. Optima is the way to go.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

optima yellow top - no question...
Old 05-09-2002, 08:45 AM

...your profile says you're a mechanic (I was checking to see what other electricity-sucking mods you have on your car) so I'm surprised that you'd even have to ask the question in the first place.

Do you listen to your tunes with the key in the "accessory" position (no dash warning lights lit)?

I've seen lots of folks with all the warning lights lit up, listening to their systems. Not only is the battery supplying power to your system in this mode, but to the ECU and lights, etc., also. All the wiring associated with those items are getting nice and warm and draining the battery.

Of course, once you start the car, the alternator has to work a little harder to re-charge the battery. So, if you listen to your system (how many watts? - the stock Bose system is very efficient)at fairly loud levels for 10-15 minutes and then drive for 5 miles or so, the battery hasn't had a chance to re-charge properly. If you have a UDP, it only makes the situation worse.

If you have a 1,000 watt system, you're draining the battery as you drive - even with the engine running and all other lights, wipers fans, etc. off. A 1,000watt system uses approx. 83amps of power and the ECU uses 5amps. I beleive most stock Maximas have a 70amp alternator - you do the math.

My 2.5cents.

Mark
Old 05-09-2002, 09:33 AM

Re: My Battery Died After Playing Music For 10 Min.

I just went with an Energizer and I'm very pleased with it. The difference from the previous battery is simply amazing. My car barely makes one rotation and 'purrrrrr' it's running. Fastest starting I've ever seen, even when compared to my first day of ownership (new).
Old 05-09-2002, 09:37 AM

70amp alternator? i thought it was around 110amp. Well, thats the one I have stock in my car.

Originally posted by MChapel
...your profile says you're a mechanic (I was checking to see what other electricity-sucking mods you have on your car) so I surprised that you'd even have to ask the question in the first place.

Do you listen to your tunes with the key in the "accessory" position (no dash warning lights lit)?

I've seen lots of folks with all the warning lights lit up, listening to their systems. Not only is the battery supplying power to your system in this mode, but to the ECU and lights, etc., also. All the wiring associated with those items are getting nice and warm and draining the battery.

Of course, once you start the car, the alternator has to work a little harder to re-charge the battery. So, if you listen to your system (how many watts? - the stock Bose system is very efficient)at fairly loud levels for 10-15 minutes and then drive for 5 miles or so, the battery hasn't had a chance to re-charge properly. If you have a UDP, it only makes the situation worse.

If you have a 1,000 watt system, you're draining the battery as you drive - even with the engine running and all other lights, wipers fans, etc. off. A 1,000watt system uses approx. 83amps of power and the ECU uses 5amps. I beleive most stock Maximas have a 70amp alternator - you do the math.

My 2.5cents.

Mark
Old 05-09-2002, 10:32 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

I've seen lots of folks with all the warning lights lit up, listening to their systems. Not only is the battery supplying power to your

My 2.5cents.

Mark [/B][/QUOTE]

Well ive heard everyone say get a new battery. Anybody think to tell him maybe if he has a high powered system that he just might need a capacitor
Old 05-09-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Larcenist
70amp alternator? i thought it was around 110amp. Well, thats the one I have stock in my car.

You are correct Larcenist - I just replaced the alternator in my son's Prelude, so the 70amp number stuck in my head - but I think you see what I'm trying to say.

As for a capacitor, you'd need a really big one with a very slow discharge rate.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:56 AM
FJC

Originally posted by MChapel

You are correct Larcenist - I just replaced the alternator in my son's Prelude, so the 70amp number stuck in my head - but I think you see what I'm trying to say.

As for a capacitor, you'd need a really big one with a very slow discharge rate.
Optima Yellow...