4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question for s/c and t/c 4th Genners...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 11:52 PM

Question for s/c and t/c 4th Genners...

...how bad is the torque steer on take-off? State if you have automatic or 5 spd, those running 5spd let me know if you have a VLSD.

I've ran search already, I'm not trying to post-*****, just have a real valid question...

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:40 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

What is t/c and what is torque steer?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

t/c is turbo charger, and torque steer refers to the way a FWD car pulls to the left or right when a lot of HP/TQ is in the equation.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by MaximaRider
t/c is turbo charger, and torque steer refers to the way a FWD car pulls to the left or right when a lot of HP/TQ is in the equation.

Oh, o.k. In that case YES. I hate it. I'm glad there is a term for it. I feel better now. I thought there was something wrong with my car. Yeah, it pulls left and right like a mother on a hard launch. It only happens for a little while, right after the launch and it isn't consistant. Sometimes you have to wrestle the steering wheel, sometimes it is medium, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Hope I answered the question.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Dont RWD cars do the same? Rather the back sways a bit....
Old 05-10-2002, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Finality

Dont RWD cars do the same? Rather the back sways a bit....
Yes, but it's much easier to control.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:59 AM

Not bad at all

I have a 96 SC'ed SE AT.

Torque steer is not a problem, but then again I don't do 2000RPM launches from a stop. I'm trying to make my tranny live as long as I can before I decide what to do with it next (heavily built 5-speed with a Quaife ATBD, or a built AT from Level10).
Old 05-10-2002, 07:23 AM

Re: Not bad at all

Originally posted by jgadlage
I have a 96 SC'ed SE AT.

Torque steer is not a problem, but then again I don't do 2000RPM launches from a stop. I'm trying to make my tranny live as long as I can before I decide what to do with it next (heavily built 5-speed with a Quaife ATBD, or a built AT from Level10).

Yup, don't abuse the tranny, not worth it. I think when I had my SC, I was pretty hard on the tranny. That's why I think my tranny is done for already.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:28 AM

Re: Re: Not bad at all

I drive a bit different and then again I have the PR motor mounts on my car, I had no problem steering problems at all. Do keep in mind I dont go to every redlight and pretend I am at the drag strip. I have a 5 speed the only time I slam on the gas is when I am on the highway. If your auto and slam on the gas pedal yes get ready to grab on to the steering wheel and is not just Maximas, Lightnings and Mustangs alike and with the LSD that will help quite a bit.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Not bad at all

Originally posted by JAY25
I drive a bit different and then again I have the PR motor mounts on my car, I had no problem steering problems at all. Do keep in mind I dont go to every redlight and pretend I am at the drag strip. I have a 5 speed the only time I slam on the gas is when I am on the highway. If your auto and slam on the gas pedal yes get ready to grab on to the steering wheel and is not just Maximas, Lightnings and Mustangs alike and with the LSD that will help quite a bit.
How much did your PR motor mounts cost? Also, how soon did your OE motor mounts go out after putting in your s/c or t/c (which one do you have btw)?

I don't think there is a LSD for auto trannys, right? Best I could do is get custom even length drive axles, right?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Licensed to Spell

I have a 96 SC'ed SE AT.

What do you mean by '2000RPM launches' Justin? Neutral drop or power brake? I never do neutral drops but I don't see the harm in power braking. I power brake at about 1500-2000 RPMs.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about power braking. Just seems like it would kill the Torque Converter.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about power braking. Just seems like it would kill the Torque Converter.
I am sorry your talking about steering problems!!!the motor mounts prevent wheel hopping!! sorry about that, I dont have that let me not post under your thread I am not Auto anyways.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:16 PM

Mine is not so bad at low rev launches. If I do above 2000 rpm you feel it a little. If I am on the interstate and floor it MY GAAAAAWWWWWDDDD!
Old 05-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

I think power braking is o.k. to do. I've spoken to transmission and race shops about this. Most say it's fine to do and they do it themselves. They all warn me about neutral drops though!
Old 05-11-2002, 05:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

O.k., now I am slightly concerned. I am the only one here who said they experience torque steer. Is there something wrong with my car?
Old 05-11-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
O.k., now I am slightly concerned. I am the only one here who said they experience torque steer. Is there something wrong with my car?

Josh, no need to worry. When I had my SC, there was definitely some torque steer. Even without a SC, I still experience some torque steer if I slam on the gas.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Cumalot

Josh, no need to worry. When I had my SC, there was definitely some torque steer. Even without a SC, I still experience some torque steer if I slam on the gas.
Thanks Mike. Quick question. Although off the subject, it came to mind while discussing this. Before the SC, I always would/could spin my wheels on launches. Now, even if I powerbrake, I can't spin my wheels. Does the SC deprive us of some low end? My guess is it would since the long intake tube would act as a restriction until the SC kicks in at higher RPMs. Did you guys experience this to?
Old 05-11-2002, 05:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Thanks Mike. Quick question. Although off the subject, it came to mind while discussing this. Before the SC, I always would/could spin my wheels on launches. Now, even if I powerbrake, I can't spin my wheels. Does the SC deprive us of some low end? My guess is it would since the long intake tube would act as a restriction until the SC kicks in at higher RPMs. Did you guys experience this to?
Really? Hm...I don't know, but I could spin my tires easily when I had the SC. Although at the time I had the crappy stock tires on. Could you spin the tires while in gear? Let say I am going around 10-15mph, then I decide to slam on the gas, my tires would spin while I'm on the move. My friends were amazed by that, especially since I'm an auto. I didn't have a problem at low end with the SC. I think maybe a bit too much power, making launching kind of hard. If I step on the gas too much at a full stop, I would just spin and go no where. Usually at a full stop, I have to step on the gas softly, then slam on it a split second later. Hope this help.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Cumalot

Really? Hm...I don't know, but I could spin my tires easily when I had the SC. Although at the time I had the crappy stock tires on. Could you spin the tires while in gear? Let say I am going around 10-15mph, then I decide to slam on the gas, my tires would spin while I'm on the move. My friends were amazed by that, especially since I'm an auto. I didn't have a problem at low end with the SC. I think maybe a bit too much power, making launching kind of hard. If I step on the gas too much at a full stop, I would just spin and go no where. Usually at a full stop, I have to step on the gas softly, then slam on it a split second later. Hope this help.

No, it didn't help!! It made me feel like something is wrong with my car! Great, are you serious? Yeah, it's night and day for me. If I was at a stop when I was stock and I mashed the gas (power-brake or not), I'd spin the tires for a second. This is with 235-45-17 Z-rated tires and a good conditioned road. Now, same tires, same road, I mash the gas and just go. No squelling. But to answer your other question, yes. I can't 'chirp second' in the sense of flooring it off the line and then chirping 1-2 but if I am cruising in 3rd and then punch it, it will chirp as it downshifts 3-2. It's just a chirp though, not major squeeling. Great, I think something is really wrong with my car off the line. When I got that 14.7 @ 100.1, I knew something was wrong. That time does not correlate to that speed. That speed should go along with a 13 second run. So it seems I'm doing something right at the end but I need help 'getting out of the box'.