4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SS WSP vs SS Budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 07:52 AM

SS WSP vs SS Budget

The difference in price between Budget's Y and WSP's TIG welded Y seems way too big. I mean, does manderal bending cost that much more? Or does US steel cost that much more than Canadian? I Love warpspeed's products dont get me wrong, but i'm just tring to figure out why I would pay $100+ more for a pipe that does the same thing.

When i first looked at gettin a Y, WSP looked like the best choice. But, as I look at it more, and research more, budget seems like it can make a pipe that is reliable, stainless steel, and shows the same gains as WSP. Why would i needlessly spend all this extra cash?
Old 05-14-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: SS WSP vs SS Budget

Budget has awesoem quality! My friend just got a complete thermal exhaust put in by them on his eclipse. I'm getting a y-pipe from them next week. Several of my friends have one by them in their MAx, and no comlaints, the fit is perfect. I've met the guys and their good guys. I live about 3 hours from them. Honestly if I where living in the states I would buy everythign from Canada, because it's so cheap for you guys. Our dollar is like half of yours, and since the pipe is made in Canada you don't even have to pay duty because of the free trade agreement. You guys have it to good, the pipe is what like $200 or so canadian, that's like 125 USD. DAMN! Canadian dollar sucks!

Originally posted by Flanman007
The difference in price between Budget's Y and WSP's TIG welded Y seems way too big. I mean, does manderal bending cost that much more? Or does US steel cost that much more than Canadian? I Love warpspeed's products dont get me wrong, but i'm just tring to figure out why I would pay $100+ more for a pipe that does the same thing.

When i first looked at gettin a Y, WSP looked like the best choice. But, as I look at it more, and research more, budget seems like it can make a pipe that is reliable, stainless steel, and shows the same gains as WSP. Why would i needlessly spend all this extra cash?
Old 05-14-2002, 11:02 AM

From what I've read so far is that the difference in performance gains between the two are very little... what I think might be the difference is in the long run... maybe the WSP Y-pipe will outlast the Budget one...

I've ordered my Y-pipe from WSP over a month ago... and I STILL haven't seen it yet... I don't even think that they r making my Y-pipe yet. Someone else told me that he's been waiting for TWO months!!! Other members in this forum told me that it's worth the wait... I've tried e-mailing Dallas, but all the time I've been getting one word answers and the replies weren't that helpful!
I do have to admit that it's getting pretty frustrating having to wait all this time. I was thinking of ordering theri CAI and I asked them how long will it take for me to get one... but not a single word so far. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait... my patient is starting to run low... I'm starting to think of maybe cacelling my WSP order and order the Budget Y-pipe and CAI from Cattman... that is if they don't take so long to get my order or reply back to me... sigh...
Old 05-14-2002, 11:07 AM

Man I called Budget to see if they could get one to me or install one in my car because I was heading down. No problem they where even going to open a bit longer incase I got stuck in traffic on my 3 hour trip to their shop. They are very good in customer service, and as for quality it's excellent, they are very well known for their quality in exhaust.

Originally posted by BigBICHDog
From what I've read so far is that the difference in performance gains between the two are very little... what I think might be the difference is in the long run... maybe the WSP Y-pipe will outlast the Budget one...

I've ordered my Y-pipe from WSP over a month ago... and I STILL haven't seen it yet... I don't even think that they r making my Y-pipe yet. Someone else told me that he's been waiting for TWO months!!! Other members in this forum told me that it's worth the wait... I've tried e-mailing Dallas, but all the time I've been getting one word answers and the replies weren't that helpful!
I do have to admit that it's getting pretty frustrating having to wait all this time. I was thinking of ordering theri CAI and I asked them how long will it take for me to get one... but not a single word so far. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait... my patient is starting to run low... I'm starting to think of maybe cacelling my WSP order and order the Budget Y-pipe and CAI from Cattman... that is if they don't take so long to get my order or reply back to me... sigh...
Old 05-14-2002, 11:19 AM

I live about 45 minutes from Budget

and they finished their work in 45 minutes -- 45 minutes!!!

It fit perfectly.
It looks nice (well, it looked nice before they put it on, now I don't know what it looks like ).
It's WAY cheaper than those other guys.

When it comes down to it, all Y-Pipes are essentially equal.
It's a pipe -- no moving parts...no electronics...so, how much better can one pipe be versus another?

my $0.02

FLO_BOY
Old 05-14-2002, 11:32 AM

I was leaning towards the WSP SS, but after all the comments about the Budget SS, its looking better by the minute
Old 05-14-2002, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by mitch33x
I was leaning towards the WSP SS, but after all the comments about the Budget SS, its looking better by the minute
Same here... So why are people buying WSP Y pipes then? As said above its just a pipe, no moving parts or anything. The difference in price is HUGE, so why pay it? If the quality is the same and it does the same job.

I was sold on WSP before, because i figured budget was a cheap pipe that would fall apart or somthing, and WSP was a better value than Stillen or Cattman. But since all these comments I would have to say that Budget, although is non-maderal bent is a better value.

Thanks for all the comments guys
Old 05-14-2002, 11:56 AM

a mandral bend is much better than a crushed or pressure bend... that's just the truth... now if you will actually be able to tell a difference between WSP and budget in a car w/ just an intake, y-pipe, and cat back... that's for you to tell... for me... i think it's worth it... i just hope that WSP can come out w/ these fast enough... i've been waiting for only 2 weeks

much respect,
mike

ps... mandrel benders are like $100G's+, that's why not too many shops have them!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:56 PM

Will the budget pipe pass the emmissions test in Canada? Or will I have to take it off every time I take the test? (I am in Toronto)

Does the pipe increse or decrease fuel consumption?
I just don't know if it's worth putting on.
I have a 5spd SE with an intake, faulty Knock Sensor and 110K km. The question is - Should I or Should I not?

Is the Budget pipe loud???
Old 05-14-2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Riot^
Will the budget pipe pass the emmissions test in Canada? Or will I have to take it off every time I take the test? (I am in Toronto)

Does the pipe increse or decrease fuel consumption?
I just don't know if it's worth putting on.
I have a 5spd SE with an intake, faulty Knock Sensor and 110K km. The question is - Should I or Should I not?

Is the Budget pipe loud???
Emissions Test --> don't know...but, the cat is still there.
Fuel consumption -> increases -- provided your foot doesn't turn into lead.
Worth it --> dear god, Yes!
I'd fix the KS first...it makes your car drive better, improving power.

Loud? If you have a stock muffler (like me) then no worries...

I'm in Toronto too (I work around Jarvis & Richmond, and I live near-ish to Dufferin Mall), if you want to hear my car, let me know.

best,
FLO_BOY
Old 05-14-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

Emissions Test --> don't know...but, the cat is still there.
Fuel consumption -> increases -- provided your foot doesn't turn into lead.
Worth it --> dear god, Yes!
I'd fix the KS first...it makes your car drive better, improving power.

Loud? If you have a stock muffler (like me) then no worries...

I'm in Toronto too (I work around Jarvis & Richmond, and I live near-ish to Dufferin Mall), if you want to hear my car, let me know.

best,
FLO_BOY
Hey, I work not too far from there - University and Dundas - Toronto Colony Hotel.
I'd love to check it out. I work Saturdays.

So the fuel consumption Does increase, by a lot? I only drive the car on highway mainly, so will it help with low end or top?
Still a noob about all the pipes in the car.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-14-2002, 01:11 PM

Hey, I work not too far from there - University and Dundas - Toronto Colony Hotel.
Cool -- maybe early Saturday afternoon (like 1 or 2) -- I know the hotel too...private message me, and we can work out the details....

FLO_BOY
Old 05-14-2002, 01:11 PM

I asked the guys at Budget, in the past and it will pass emissions. It is worth it, but you gotta fix the KS.

So the fuel consumption Does increase, by a lot? I only drive the car on highway mainly, so will it help with low end or top?
Still a noob about all the pipes in the car.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM

what exactly does mandrel bent mean? and is its difference impacted on the lifespan on the pipe or the performance, or both?damn for 125!! i'll definately get a budget one and if it lasts less than the WSP, then ill jus get another budget one when that first one gets messed up, and it'll still be the same price as one WSP..
wow a Y pipe thats cheaper than a CAI
Old 05-14-2002, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by elcid
I asked the guys at Budget, in the past and it will pass emissions. It is worth it, but you gotta fix the KS.

Thank god I got my Tax refund today

Will the pipe affect the fuel consumption by a lot?
Old 05-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NyC97Max
what exactly does mandrel bent mean? and is its difference impacted on the lifespan on the pipe or the performance, or both?damn for 125!! i'll definately get a budget one and if it lasts less than the WSP, then ill jus get another budget one when that first one gets messed up, and it'll still be the same price as one WSP..
wow a Y pipe thats cheaper than a CAI
The difference is that the mandrel bent pipe maintains it diameter vs non-mandrel or crush bends they reduce the diameter somewhat depending on the length and angle of the bend. However I have seen the Budget pipes and the reduction is very very minimal because of the long sweeping bend.

Check this pic, this is Budget's shop

Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Jime

The difference is that the mandrel bent pipe maintains it diameter vs non-mandrel or crush bends they reduce the diameter somewhat depending on the length and angle of the bend. However I have seen the Budget pipes and the reduction is very very minimal because of the long sweeping bend.

Check this pic, this is Budget's shop

Pipes look very nice, are they painted over stainless steel???
Old 05-14-2002, 01:58 PM

Yes, they are painted over Stainless. You can get them either way, here is a pic of a bare one.

Old 05-14-2002, 02:06 PM

Yes, they are painted over Stainless. You can get them either way, here is a pic of a bare one.

Any advantages or disatvantages of either way to go? Painted or unpainted? I assume none, but...
Old 05-14-2002, 02:14 PM

Any advantages or disatvantages of either way to go? Painted or unpainted? I assume none, but...

I think painted *MAY* last longer -- just another layer of protection from the elements (like salt, road grime, etc)....

FLO_BOY
Old 05-14-2002, 02:19 PM

I think painted *MAY* last longer -- just another layer of protection from the elements (like salt, road grime, etc)....

FLO_BOY
plus it looks cooler to me
Old 05-14-2002, 02:20 PM

FLO_BOY

Good point.
Did you really notice the power from the pipe
Does it add high end or low end?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:23 PM

Good point.
Did you really notice the power from the pipe
Does it add high end or low end?
I'd have to say more high-end...

I was also completing a chrome-gauge ring install and when I drove
around after I thought I screwed up my gauges because I could
accelerate from 110-150 (km/h not mph) a little too quickly...but,
I know that the gauges are cool, so WHOA that's fast

FLO_BOY
Old 05-14-2002, 03:40 PM

EXCELLENT
Old 05-14-2002, 04:20 PM

wsp vs budjet

I have been watching this thread with interest and feel some education is due here as several of the original posters seem to have little clue as to the differences between TIG and MIG welding. The reason a TIG welded pipe is more expensive is the man hours it takes to make them. It's a slow tedious procedure that requires attention to detail and all components must have close tolerances otherwise they won't properly fit together. When done correctly, it is very strong and is said to be a better alternative than MIG welding. MIG welding is wire feed welding that can go quickly and can cover up small errors in tolerances between pieces.
I think that the big difference between the Canadian shop and ours is the quality of the work and components. They use a unlined flex section, we use the best quality lined section we can find. Look at the quality of their welds compared to ours, not even close. See PICs on our web site. Dallas does the majority of the welding and is a certified welder, and it shows.Custom laser cut flanges, custom plenum, the list goes on.
Do I want you to buy from us? Of course. Do I respect your right to decide which is the best y-pipe for you? Yes, this is America/Canada and we can choose thankfully.
As far as prices go, for you new members who have been here less than a year, do a search or ask older Maxima.org members how much y-pipe prices used to be and how much they dropped once we started making them.
Both Dallas and I appreciate your business, and strive to keep it. We are making changes in our phone service, production abilities and on our web site that will make ordering easier, quicker, and getting that needed upgrade quicker.

Thanks for listening,

Dan WSP
Old 05-14-2002, 04:58 PM

welding

Dan, you seperate your MIG and TIG welded pipes by $50, I know its more labor intensive, but what are the big advantages of TIG welds vs MIG welds? Isn't it just doing the same thing 2 different ways... joining two peices of metal togther?

Not to be a pain, but I just want the best pipe for the money. WSP may weld differently and use a more expensive bending machine, but is it really worth spending all that extra money? Just like any product I buy i dont want to get ripped off, if somthing is worth $300 for good reason, i'd rather buy that then the same type of product for $170 that is inferior.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 05-14-2002, 05:17 PM

Re: wsp vs budjet

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Do I respect your right to decide which is the best y-pipe for you? Yes, this is America/Canada and we can choose thankfully.
Both Dallas and I appreciate your business, and strive to keep it. We are making changes in our phone service, production abilities and on our web site that will make ordering easier, quicker, and getting that needed upgrade quicker.
dan93 will you be making a full stainless exhaust anytime soon? i will consider paying good money to someone who can make me the baddest, deepest, loud (but not harsh) T304SS exhaust for the max! so far, budget's on hold. keep an eye on them. they got good stuff! but i know you guys have state of the art stuff.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:26 PM

Dan, one of the reasons y I bought my Y-pipe from your company is becoz of this forum. Many other members recommended you Y-pipe and they have commented that your customer service was excellent. But what I'm going through right now is not what I anticipated. I
e-mailed Dallas numerous times before I got any reply. Dallas told me that the orders will be caught up by mid next week, but that e-mail was 3 weeks ago. I've been asking about the CAI too, but but got no reply so far. I've been waiting patiently for over 1 month for my Y-pipe now, someone told me that he's been waiting for 2 months... and almost 1 week for the CAI question. Other members told me to be paitent and wait, but my paitent is starting to run low now...
Old 05-14-2002, 05:47 PM

BUDGET 2000%

listen...i know everyone has good pipes..but take it from me and everyone else who has a budget y..its awesome no problems its STAINLESS STEEL which means its the same as any other stainless steel product....its $175 compared to WSP 225 ALUMINUM which lasts only 5 years....its really dumb what people do to get a name im not even flaming wsp they are good but its just budget is lower priced...even a monkey can figure it out
Old 05-14-2002, 07:16 PM

another question outta curiosity, how big is the Y pipe(length), and how heavy? is it lighter than the stock?
Old 05-14-2002, 07:17 PM

I think i've made my decision to go with Budget. If there is any reason that the warpspeed pipe is better please someone tell me. I dont mind paying the money for the WSP if its worth its price but frankly it seems that there is no real differnce in the reliability, proformance, or sound of either pipe; why would i get ripped off and pay nearly double the price?
Old 05-14-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Flanman007
I think i've made my decision to go with Budget. If there is any reason that the warpspeed pipe is better please someone tell me. I dont mind paying the money for the WSP if its worth its price but frankly it seems that there is no real differnce in the reliability, proformance, or sound of either pipe; why would i get ripped off and pay nearly double the price?
I think I would be careful Flanman007 the Wrapspeed is an all usa made product.

I suppose we could sell a non or mandrel bent stainless Y pipe with parts imported from canada but really made in Malaysia or Indonesia and sell it for less but it does not meet our standards. There is a difference between mandrel bent and non. It seems however those that do not sell it are the ones telling how it makes no difference.

Any of our Y pipes will perform better than any other Y pipe out there. Period. I have seen the stillen and Ca**man pipes, we have a Ca**man pipe in our shop now. Ours are bigger and flow better. If the budget pipes trip your trigger than buy one, at $299 ours are a bargain.

Dallas
Are you sure you want a pipe made in Malaysia or Indonesia?
Old 05-14-2002, 07:53 PM

yeah no kidding, how does WSP even know that? I think they are on the defensive. And even if the pipes were imported or whatever they are still good (judging by other org members comments). I know warpspeed has done very good things for the maxima community in the past but I'm just saying that its not good buisness to make claims about any other company without any backing to them.

Anybody out there ever hear of budget's Y's not being from canada? I'm just making these comments cause i've never heard anything about this from anyone else besides one of budget's main competion.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:57 PM

I have been in the shop where they make their Y-Pipes and have examined them very closely. The T-304 Stainless Steel has "Made In Canada" stamped on it so there is no doubt in my mind.

Also, it is worthy of note that Budget's B-Pipe is also T-304 Stainless and MANDREL BENT. I have one check out my pics. They also removed the small S-Pipe behind the cat as well as the resonator. This was optional, no extra cost to do it they just gave me the option.
They only do this on installs and do not ship out b-pipes yet.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113611
Old 05-14-2002, 08:31 PM

i have the WSP y-pipe on order... i'd much rather just get all mandrel bent piping... i'm looking for the most unrestrictive and most true exhaust i can get... and the best welding i can get... so that's why i went w/ that...

but for the budget b-pipe! WOW is all i can say! i hadn't seen that yet!!! that's pretty much exactly what i want... i'm curious just how much it would be... cost for shipping included! cause if unless WSP hurries up and makes the T304SS mandrel bent b-pipe, i might just have to go w/ the budget one(if they will ship it!) cause damn!!!

much respect,
mike
Old 05-14-2002, 11:12 PM

Thanks to the idiots who created NAFTA anything made in Canada should cost the US consumer less because of the $.63 value of the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, most of the tarriffs and taxes no longer apply as well. Items made in China, Indonesia and Malaysia have been flooding the US and Canadian automotive parts and steel markets as well which has been bad for the North American manufacturers as it is even cheaper still. Anyone in the trade of course knows this.

Now that our prices have been hashed over why not now switch to Stillen and Ca**man? I have no clue why they are priced the way they are and they are much more expensive than our products, it is probably a conspiracy.

We have a policy of buying American whenever possible and we do not forsee changing that policy.

Yes, our CAI kits are on back order, even the ones shipping to Canada.

We are getting caught up on our TIG stainless, and no we will still not paint stainless.

Dallas
Old 05-15-2002, 12:12 AM

Dallas, do u have a time frame on when will u be caught up for both Y-pipe and CAI?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:07 AM

I have been in the shop where they make their Y-Pipes and have examined them very closely. The T-304 Stainless Steel has "Made In Canada" stamped on it so there is no doubt in my mind.

Also, it is worthy of note that Budget's B-Pipe is also T-304 Stainless and MANDREL BENT. I have one check out my pics. They also removed the small S-Pipe behind the cat as well as the resonator. This was optional, no extra cost to do it they just gave me the option.
They only do this on installs and do not ship out b-pipes yet.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113611
Thanks Jime for clarifying an earlier post by your buds at Budget and your detective skills.

You confirmed what we suspected months ago. We have discussed our policy of buying American several times. The last time, Jeff at Budget told the forum that they only used stainless which was made in the USA. So thank you for being so observant noting how the high quality 304 stainless was stamped "Made in Canada" and not "Made in the USA" as Jeff earlier claimed.

Now if they have actually changed from American stainless to Canadian stainless I would suspect they could drop their prices by about 37% maybe more what with the devalued Canadian dollar and all. That would be what, about $107 for a SS non mandrel bent Y pipe?

Dallas
Old 05-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor

I went with Warpspeed and I am happy great performance gains no rusting mandrel bends.... good stuff! just my opinion haha i'm sure everything else has already been covered
Old 05-16-2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by bmfjeep

Thanks Jime for clarifying an earlier post by your buds at Budget and your detective skills.

You confirmed what we suspected months ago. We have discussed our policy of buying American several times. The last time, Jeff at Budget told the forum that they only used stainless which was made in the USA. So thank you for being so observant noting how the high quality 304 stainless was stamped "Made in Canada" and not "Made in the USA" as Jeff earlier claimed.

Now if they have actually changed from American stainless to Canadian stainless I would suspect they could drop their prices by about 37% maybe more what with the devalued Canadian dollar and all. That would be what, about $107 for a SS non mandrel bent Y pipe?

Dallas
Do I smell competition?