4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil burning

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oil burning

My car goes through about 2 quarts of oil each change (5k between changes). About 500 miles after my most recent oil change, my oil was completely black (is this normal?). I have noticed bluish smoke coming from the tail pipe from time to time, and it seems like my car smokes a little more than it should.

My main problem is the fact that I have an extended 100k warrantee, and 97000 miles on the car. I brought my car in on Monday to have it looked at, but they told me to come back in a week so they could see for themselves whether or not it's consuming oil. My problem is that I plan on taking the car down to FL (I'm in NY), so that trip will put me past my warrantee.

I asked the service manager if a compression check would show that my car is burning oil. His response: "A compression check won't tell you if your burning oil. The only way to determine if the car is burning oil is to tear down the engine. We won't do that unless we have proof that it's consuming oil."

If I reported the problem at 97k miles, and when I get back it has 101k miles, will they still fix this under my warrantee?

What should I do? I can't really cancel my trip, as I have all other accommodations paid for, and renting a car will run me about $400 (not something I'd like to do).

Thanks,
Damien
Old 05-15-2002, 05:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get something in writing from your dealer saying he will honor your warranty complaint when you get back from your trip. Your reporting it at 97K, they can't take you in, make them agree to reporting the problem at 97K IN WRITING.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:36 AM

You MUST get them to put it in writing that they will honor the warranty after you go over the mileage.

A compression check won't tell you IF you are burning oil, but it could lead you to the cause. If a cylinder has low compression, the rings could be worn and oil could be getting by and burned off.

Your consumption rate itself isn't considered excessive by Nissan, though it is high for a VQ that has been properly cared for. What I would be concerned about is that the rate is increasing, and if the oil is getting darker sooner under the same driving conditions, there is something changing in your engine that isn't for the better.

Is there another dealer in the area you could take your car to? Also, if they won't put it in writing that they will honor the warranty over the mileage I would rent the car for the trip. The cost of the rental will be less than the repair to your car if you have to fix it out of pocket. If it turns out your car is fine, just look at the cost of the rental as insurance; it's the lesser of two evils.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:07 AM

Just do a plug reading and that should tell you if any cylinders are bad.As others suggested you should have a written agreement that the prob was reported at 97k.I doubt if the dealer would agree to do that!

take care ,
Jay