4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator rebuilding question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 06:31 AM

Alternator rebuilding question?

Hi guys,
Has anyone rebuilt an alternator?I need to replace mine , bought a used alt for $50 and am planning to change bearings and brushes.Pls give me some inputs.
As always TIA,
Jay
Old 05-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've rebuilt them. Pretty easy. Check with the dealer to see if they have a parts break down, then order the front and rear bearings and a set of brushes. Clean it all up, reassemble and your all set. Usually the diods and voltage regulators work, it's the brushes that ware down which causes them to stop charging. Bearings are cheap too.

If your dealer doesn't have these items for you, any local bearing supply house will have them. Just look at your old bearings, there will be a number stamped on them. Thats the bearing code. Brushes may be purchased from an electrical supply house or your local alternator and starter rebuilding facility.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I've rebuilt them. Pretty easy. Check with the dealer to see if they have a parts break down, then order the front and rear bearings and a set of brushes. Clean it all up, reassemble and your all set. Usually the diods and voltage regulators work, it's the brushes that ware down which causes them to stop charging. Bearings are cheap too.

If your dealer doesn't have these items for you, any local bearing supply house will have them. Just look at your old bearings, there will be a number stamped on them. Thats the bearing code. Brushes may be purchased from an electrical supply house or your local alternator and starter rebuilding facility.
Thanks buddy..
I spoke to my dealer he dosen't have those but can order the bearings at 22.98 a piece which is a way too overpriced.I think i can find these locally.Is there anything which i can really screwup during the rebuild??
TIA