4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Next Mod - Handling or Go Juice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Next Mod - Handling or Go Juice?

So I am a College guy. Savin up some cash. Gotta drop a huge sum of money on skewl bills, but I may have some extra here or there for some new mods. Right now I think I have about $450 to drop. I am debating whether to hold out longer and get the suspension stuff I want (H&R, KYB AGX), or to get a GO mod such as a Y-pipe and something small for the handling (like a RSB). I already have a PR CAI and FSTB. Most of the miles I put on are highway miles, some over the mountains which is where I could really use the suspension. But GO mods are so much fun! The other factor in the equation is the RSB group deal going on. If I popped for that, then I'd prolly get the Y-pipe too and just want another 4-6 months for my suspension

Opinions? I'm torn on this one.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:09 AM

Re: Next Mod - Handling or Go Juice?

Originally posted by hakk97se
So I am a College guy. Savin up some cash. Gotta drop a huge sum of money on skewl bills, but I may have some extra here or there for some new mods. Right now I think I have about $450 to drop. I am debating whether to hold out longer and get the suspension stuff I want (H&R, KYB AGX), or to get a GO mod such as a Y-pipe and something small for the handling (like a RSB). I already have a PR CAI and FSTB. Most of the miles I put on are highway miles, some over the mountains which is where I could really use the suspension. But GO mods are so much fun! The other factor in the equation is the RSB group deal going on. If I popped for that, then I'd prolly get the Y-pipe too and just want another 4-6 months for my suspension

Opinions? I'm torn on this one.
I was in the same position as you were last year but I went ahead and got the Ypipe before my suspension.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

suspension will make you car look a LOT better, IMO. Your car is already relatively fast, so I would get the suspension first.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:22 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

i started out with suspension. before all my suspension mods, the max handled like ****...
Old 05-17-2002, 03:18 AM

I recommend getting your suspension squared away before you start the go-fast stuff. Believe me, the cornering ability you'll pick up from an improved suspension will be just as much fun (if not more fun) as straight-line acceleration gains from go-fast stuff. Plus, I think there is a logical order to these mods: Preparing your car to *cope* with more speed seems like a good idea. I'd do handling, speed, brakes, boost... and a crucifix! Good luck.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:24 AM

Suspension: 3
Y-Pipe: 1

Any others?
Old 05-17-2002, 11:31 AM

Suspension: 3
Y-Pipe: 1

Any others?
Another vote for handling...

I notice you have upgraded tires....finish it off with the springs/struts. I did the go mods first (CAI,y, etc..) and although I am happy with them, I wish I did the handling part first. You can take advantage of the handling mods much more often than you can the go mods. Besides, spiff56747 is right, you'll also improve the looks of your car as well (no more gap) if you do this. Two birds with one stone my friend. Good luck....
Old 05-17-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by ljl10

Another vote for handling...

I notice you have upgraded tires....finish it off with the springs/struts. I did the go mods first (CAI,y, etc..) and although I am happy with them, I wish I did the handling part first. You can take advantage of the handling mods much more often than you can the go mods. Besides, spiff56747 is right, you'll also improve the looks of your car as well (no more gap) if you do this. Two birds with one stone my friend. Good luck....
Heh, after I posted that score 3:1, I was looking in another thread and wound up checking out your cardomain page, haha. What a coincidence. Your car looks tight dude, I like it a lot. Anyway, that's a good point about the tires. I'm not gunna get rims until these tires are ready to go which wont be for a while. Anyway, I think I'll hold out a while longer and go for the suspension.

Oh. About the RSB. Worth the money? Kev told me to get one, and the group deal is going on for another day or two, I can pick one up for like $120, but that would set back how long it will be before I can get the suspension. Opinions on that one?
Old 05-17-2002, 12:41 PM

Heh, after I posted that score 3:1, I was looking in another thread and wound up checking out your cardomain page, haha. What a coincidence. Your car looks tight dude, I like it a lot. Anyway, that's a good point about the tires. I'm not gunna get rims until these tires are ready to go which wont be for a while. Anyway, I think I'll hold out a while longer and go for the suspension.

Oh. About the RSB. Worth the money? Kev told me to get one, and the group deal is going on for another day or two, I can pick one up for like $120, but that would set back how long it will be before I can get the suspension. Opinions on that one?
Definitely worth the money...I know the Santa Cruz area has some nice twisties here and there so you will be able to take full advantage of this thing. You know how when you go around a corner at a good clip and you can feel the back end fly outwards a bit? This thing will kill that motion (or at least reduce it considerably).
Thanks for the complement on the page. I'm just starting to put that thing together so hopefully I can get some more interior and engine shots in there to mix it up a bit.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:43 PM

Suspension.
You'll have the ability to drive your Max that much faster, which is almost like doing suspension mods and go mods in one. Once you get the go mods, it'll be that much more fun. Thats the route Im taking, cant wait to get the y-pipe and catback, my car handles amazing and I love it.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:47 PM

Ok, I think I will spring for the RSB. How did you guys paint it? They don't come powerdercoat black anymore. And Vinh, your gunna help me install it, RIGHT?!
Old 05-17-2002, 01:26 PM

Definately go with suspension first. that's what im doing. I just put int he GD addco rsb thursday, today i had eibach & kyb agx's put in. Definately go for suspension. Think about out...what good is speed going to do if your car can't handle it???

You'll be switching lanes fast back and forth, or doing corners with speed...but without handling u're car will not take full advantage of the speed cuz it cant' handle them, and worst case flip over.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:11 PM

Although I love my suspension mods, I would go power first unless you are heavy into Autocrossing. I did intake, exhaust, and ypipe before my shocks and springs and for the money I think it was well worth the power mods first. You can get all of your basic power mods for about the price you'll end up paying for shocks and springs.
If you are over 60k you may want to consider handling first since your suspension is probably on its way out. That wasn't an issue for me.
-hype
Old 05-17-2002, 02:20 PM

Just to keep track

Suspension: 6
Power Mod: 2

I actually just rolled over 60k a couple weeks ago. I think my suspension is in pretty good shape tho. But it's still stock. I should have enough $$$ to do the suspension in a couple months. We'll see. As a student, mom tends to balk big time when I blow cash on my car. Heh, by the way, I just ordered my RSB.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:12 PM

Suspension
Old 05-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

RSB is also a good choice, because our cars understeer like crazy. The RSB helps to increase oversteer a little bit more, which will help you if you do autocrossing or anything. An FTSB, on the other hand, while improving handling, will actually make the understeer worse. So its a good idea to go with RSB first.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:23 PM

Cool, however, I don't plan on taking my car autoX anytime soon, nor do I hit the track. Just enthusastic driving.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:27 PM

Cool, however, I don't plan on taking my car autoX anytime soon, nor do I hit the track. Just enthusastic driving.
FSTB + RSB will help out in everyday driving as well.