4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Larger wheels slow your acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 08:48 AM
TJ

I love the look of larger wheels, but I can't sacrafice my acceleration. My friend just got some nice looking 17's on his GSR, and now wants to return them. He told me his car accelerates noticeably slower with them on.

I have a 96 Max SE with the stock 15's, and was wondering, would a wider style 15 fit, and would they slow me down? Looks vs. power!

Old 11-30-2000, 09:20 AM

in the summer time i have 17x7 monsoons with 225/45/17's.I did notice that when i put them on for the fisrt time the car seemed alot slower off the line. I got used to it. I just put on my stock 15's for the winter 2 weeks ago and my acceleration has come back, i launch off the line. Taking turns is not the same cause of the crapy stock tires but i do feel a noticable difference between stock and larger rims.
Anthony
Old 11-30-2000, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you want looks and good handling go with 16" wheels and 225/50(55)-16 tires. I'm will have this set up in a week.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:33 AM

Yep, the bigger the rim, the HP drops down. Thus also meaning your car accelerates slower. I would say 16" is the best bet for acc and making the car handle. Dont forget, they bigger they are, the heavier they are...in most cases.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:53 AM

It would also seem that size and shape would matter too, not just the weight.

I read an article in Sport Compact Car and they did 1/4 mile testing when changing just wheel sizes.

The 18in wheel, though lighter than the 17 in by a pound
or so, still caused a slower 1/4 mile time. -They suspect that it could be the weight distribution.

The only analogy I can think of is like how when an ice skater is spinning, she tucks her arms in to spin fast. And extends her arms to slow down...

...so an 18in wheel can have more weight distributed away from the center of the wheel, making it harder to spin.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:14 AM

Getting wheels for your car turns out to be alot more difficult than it originally seems. Even with more choices than ever before, it's still tough to balance looks, weight, quality, availability and cost. Not all wheels weigh the same either. Some 17's I saw were around 17lbs while others were 28. It pays to do some checking. There's a link somewhere in this forum. Try searching under "wheel weights". Borbet Type T's are a nice, clean 5-spoke, good qual, affordable, and I think around 20lbs.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:38 AM

ATTN VBXMaxima - Nice Observation!

Your analogy of an ice skater is right on the money! It's called the "mass moment of inertia" and it's dependent on where the weight is in relation to the rotational axis. So, you can indeed have a heavier wheel that accelerates faster if it has a lower moment of inertia.

The best wheels are usually 2 or 3 piece construction. This allows the rim (the most important area for acceleration) to be made from a thinner, stronger material, vs. the all-cast type.

Old 11-30-2000, 02:13 PM

Bigger wheels

will roll farther, so you can either make them smaller *or* reduce the gear in the final output. In a rear wheel drive car thats the differential ratio. Seems they'd go to like 4:11 and even lower, but for a FWD, I dunno if there is a 'differential'.

Jack
Old 11-30-2000, 02:34 PM

I also put 17" Rims on my car Mondera Millano's. They are very heavy and I really didn't do much research as to the speed changes in the car. I can actually here my Max scream like a constipated baby when I hit the gas full throttle. Question? How does the larger wheels affect the gas?
Old 11-30-2000, 03:15 PM

A wider 15 won't make you slower...

It's the same diameter. 16s won't make too much of a diff either. It's prolly the best combo for looks an performance. But what do I know? I still have my stock steel wheels!
Old 11-30-2000, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by SPARK
I also put 17" Rims on my car Mondera Millano's. They are very heavy and I really didn't do much research as to the speed changes in the car. I can actually here my Max scream like a constipated baby when I hit the gas full throttle. Question? How does the larger wheels affect the gas?
yeah, mpg will decrease with larger heavier wheels. It takes more energy to get the wheel spinning. plus, heavier wills place slightly more strain on the suspension components. not only will the wheel weigh more, so will the tire.

a 1 lb heavier wheel is like adding 10 lbs of sprung weight on the car. every 100 lbs of sprung weight is worth about .1 seconds. so if a 17" wheel/tire weighs 10 lb heavier than stock (10 lbs/wheel&tire x4 wheels/tires =40 lbs), it's like adding 400 lbs of sprung weight (.4 seconds).

with my Z, the stock wheel/tire (225x50x16)weighed appr 40 lbs. with the 245/40/17 RE71 and Kosei Seneca S6C weighed app 50 lbs. I ran .3 to .4 sec slower and lost 1-2 mph with the bigger wheels.
Old 11-30-2000, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by got rice?
Originally posted by SPARK
yeah, mpg will decrease with larger heavier wheels. It takes more energy to get the wheel spinning. plus, heavier wills place slightly more strain on the suspension components. not only will the wheel weigh more, so will the tire.

a 1 lb heavier wheel is like adding 10 lbs of sprung weight on the car. every 100 lbs of sprung weight is worth about .1 seconds. so if a 17" wheel/tire weighs 10 lb heavier than stock (10 lbs/wheel&tire x4 wheels/tires =40 lbs), it's like adding 400 lbs of sprung weight (.4 seconds).

with my Z, the stock wheel/tire (225x50x16)weighed appr 40 lbs. with the 245/40/17 RE71 and Kosei Seneca S6C weighed app 50 lbs. I ran .3 to .4 sec slower and lost 1-2 mph with the bigger wheels.
i don't race my car i just want it to look good. i put 18x8 chrome g-force wheels by speedy wheels with 245-40-18 nitto 555 the car looks great but i did feel the diff. i'll just put my stocks back on when the weather gets nasty. would like to put a pic but i use a webtv.
Old 11-30-2000, 06:56 PM

The best performance/looks combination for the Max is 16X7.5 I think. Ofcourse I'm just going for looks on my I30 =P
Old 11-30-2000, 08:00 PM

Wheel size

Originally posted by Synki
Yep, the bigger the rim, the HP drops down. Thus also meaning your car accelerates slower. I would say 16" is the best bet for acc and making the car handle. Dont forget, they bigger they are, the heavier they are...in most cases.
Actually, the HP does not change at all. Several
folks have pointed out that the size changes, causing
the acceleration to fall off (size, weight, moment
of mass ie torque required to turn the wheel), but also
remember friction does play a small roll in acceleration
also. Friction is a good thing at the start, but once
you are moving, it is a bad thing. Most of the larger
wheels are WIDER as well, causing an increase in total
contact area.

BB
Old 12-01-2000, 07:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the large 18" wheels. Yes, I noticed that it did slow me down. When I had the stock wheels on, it felt quicker. I don't really race(unless someone initiated it first), so I go for the looks. Plus, with an automatic, you can't do much in a race anyway. I'm really the half looks/half power type.
Old 12-01-2000, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I have the large 18" wheels. Yes, I noticed that it did slow me down. When I had the stock wheels on, it felt quicker. I don't really race(unless someone initiated it first), so I go for the looks. Plus, with an automatic, you can't do much in a race anyway. I'm really the half looks/half power type.
Since the heavier wheels cause more strain on the suspension, Does anyone recommend any changes or upgrades to avoid the strain or there is no correction. My Wheels weigh 50lbs also. And they do look RICH with the Nitto 555 tires. I really care more about the ride and rather not damage anything for looks. The way it feels now you cant tell I have larger wheels the ride is smooth it's just hearing the car work harder.
Old 12-01-2000, 08:42 AM

Having a 16" stock SE rims w/ stillen aero kit, it just doesn't look right. I'm thinking getting black momo arrow, shipping them from UK, anyone knows how much Momo arrow weigh? is it considered to be a heavy rim? or what's my best option besides momos, what about BBS? btw, I want to go with 17"
Old 12-01-2000, 11:52 AM

hehehehehe...

hopefully by january next year I'll have the 300ZX wheel on and car lowered...
^_^
yeah...don't go too heavy on the wheel....and try to have the weight not disributed too much outside of the axle....
you want the weight to be centerized...
I did realize my car gets sluggish as soon as I changed my tires....I used to have yoko something
then changed to pirellis...man...they are heavy..I definately gonna watch them weight for my 16's
wanna make them total to about 35lb...less is better..
hehe
Old 12-01-2000, 11:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

SloMos Arrows are about the heaviest wheels out there. I have the 17" weight somewhere. If weight is a consideration, I can't recommend these wheels.

Originally posted by EuroMaxima99SE
Having a 16" stock SE rims w/ stillen aero kit, it just doesn't look right. I'm thinking getting black momo arrow, shipping them from UK, anyone knows how much Momo arrow weigh? is it considered to be a heavy rim? or what's my best option besides momos, what about BBS? btw, I want to go with 17"
Old 12-03-2000, 10:14 PM
yohann

You are only 1/2 right when talking about moment of inertia. I think it has a bigger effect in gyroscopic stability and steering effort. The main reason is due to the energy storage ability in the tire sidewall. Ever wonder why wrinkle wall slicks are used? and such low tire pressure? They wrinkle up and absorb energy from the shock of the initial acceleration. This allows the tire to bite and as it starts to roll it springs back...returning the energy after it has hooked up. The less sidewall you have...the less compliance, ergo less energy storage. The torque is more directly transmitted through the tire and you get less traction because of a more severe impulse momentum. Friction force is rarely a factor because it is determined by the weight of the car. The distribution of the friction force via larger section width just reduces tire temperatures. I can see a larger rim with higher moment of intertia being harder to set into motion initially but once that is overcome you will have less control over it. I agree with the 16's and 225/50's as optimum all around. The 17's might handle better but will lose in acceration and ride/expense what they gain in looks and handling.

Old 12-04-2000, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
SloMos Arrows are about the heaviest wheels out there. I have the 17" weight somewhere. If weight is a consideration, I can't recommend these wheels.
they are around 30 fricking pounds in 17s!!!
Old 12-04-2000, 05:50 PM

I think it's cool if you want to get a new rim, to go with something pretty big. When you want to race(at the track), put your stock rims back on. You'll have better times. With the bigger package you also benefit in braking, handling,turn in, and just an overall more planted feel on the road. Safer too. eheheheheh...make up for the loss with more mods.
Old 12-04-2000, 08:55 PM

is it true that 225/50/R16 size will be slightly smaller than the stock 215/55/R16 diameter? do i have these sizes correct? just wanted to know.
Old 12-04-2000, 09:12 PM

VG....The first number in tire size is the width in millimeters, the second number is the percent ratio of the width of the tire but in height. The last number is the diameter of the wheel. So.....225X50X16 = 112.5 millimeters in tire height, and 215X55X16 = 118.25 millimeters in tire height. So...the 225's will have a lower sidewall, but a wider footprint...also meaning your car will sit 5.75 millimeters lower to the ground surface....got it!
What does this mean in performance? well...considering all other things equal, you'll get a car that performs better with the 225's but has more drag and resistance as well.
What do you want? A car that rides smoother and quieter on the road, or one that performs better.
Regarding the question of slower acceleration...those two tires you picked aren't majorly different....I'd pick the 225's, especially if you have enough power to spin them easily.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:55 AM

thanks for the explaination. i was just wondering because i know that a smaller overall diameter such as the one attained with 225/50/R16 will translate to a slightly higher indicated speedometer and odometer readings.
Originally posted by Car With No Name
VG....The first number in tire size is the width in millimeters, the second number is the percent ratio of the width of the tire but in height. The last number is the diameter of the wheel. So.....225X50X16 = 112.5 millimeters in tire height, and 215X55X16 = 118.25 millimeters in tire height. So...the 225's will have a lower sidewall, but a wider footprint...also meaning your car will sit 5.75 millimeters lower to the ground surface....got it!
What does this mean in performance? well...considering all other things equal, you'll get a car that performs better with the 225's but has more drag and resistance as well.
What do you want? A car that rides smoother and quieter on the road, or one that performs better.
Regarding the question of slower acceleration...those two tires you picked aren't majorly different....I'd pick the 225's, especially if you have enough power to spin them easily.
Old 12-05-2000, 11:21 AM

Correction a wider tire does increase the tire height and that slows you down in the

1/4 mile. Check out the cool calculator. http://www.ring-pinion.com/RPMCalculator.html
Old 12-05-2000, 03:39 PM

Seems to me that the rim diamter shouldn't matter if you have low profile tires on the larger tire. My stock 15"s have the same "overall" tire diameter as my new 17"s. The only thing that should hinder acceleration will be the weight of the new wheel and an increase in friction with wider tires. If the overall wheel diameter doesn't change I am led to believe that any acceleration difference would be negligable. That's just me theory, I could be wrong.

CommandoRabbit

Old 12-05-2000, 03:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yup my thoughts too. But given the same two wheels/tires that have the same outside dia and even the same weight, the wheel/tire package that had more of it's weight located more to the outside of the the wheels, would be worse for acceleration. Small difference but that's the theory. But most larger wheel/tire packages do tend to be heavier and wider though.

Originally posted by CommandoRabbit
Seems to me that the rim diamter shouldn't matter if you have low profile tires on the larger tire. My stock 15"s have the same "overall" tire diameter as my new 17"s. The only thing that should hinder acceleration will be the weight of the new wheel and an increase in friction with wider tires. If the overall wheel diameter doesn't change I am led to believe that any acceleration difference would be negligable. That's just me theory, I could be wrong.

CommandoRabbit

Old 12-05-2000, 04:21 PM

The response that steve gave is correct...sometimes...
When you increase the tire width, without going up in rim size, as well as going with a lower profile tire(depending on the percentage of the tire lowering), then yes you can have a lower overall tire and rim height. But it depends on how much you go down in tire ratio. If you don't go down in tire ratio enough, then you'll have a tire and rim combination that is atually higher overall.
The numbers I gave you are correct from my last message....That's why it's called going plus 1, or plus 2, or plus 3. I went to 18's with 235X40. Which is about the best combination for that size and the amount of room I have.

Hope this info helps
Old 12-06-2000, 04:40 PM

Oh yeah...sorry about not addressing the speedo question.
Yes it will affect your speedomotor and the gearing ratios as well....but not by alot. Not on that size difference you asked about. Smaller overall hieght of the rim and tire combo will make your speedo go up in relation to actual speed. Unless your an expert and go in to adjust the readings to compensate. My 15's are almost the same height overall as the 18's I have (tire and rim together).
Old 12-06-2000, 06:45 PM

Technical, technical, techinal,

Commando Rabbit has it right - the smaller the diameter the quicker the gear rev thus quicker the acceleration.
Adding small amounts of weight to a wheel (perhaps in size and weight) do NOT adversley affect acceleration to a discernable degree.
And even if you have the dyno's to prove its slower then you suck. Learn that clutch a little better.
Spend more of your time driving the crap out of the wonderful benefits of a wheel/tire upgrade!

Be amazed that it doesn't break away in a 90 degree turn at 45 mph.
Be amazed that cloverleafs and exit ramps are easily taken at 80MPH+.
Be amazed that this car is way above the limits of other cars ont he road.
Be amazed that this car easily still smokes Stangs, tuners, and most other vehichles on the road.
Be amazed that you can get away with racing around all day and not be pulled over. (sleeper facter)
Be amazed that you've read this post as long as you have.
You're a MAX junkie.
....like me.

Old 12-06-2000, 09:20 PM

well im amazed..