4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I am sick of all the rattling!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 10:22 PM

Dang it's driving me crazy both front door panels both A pillars even the trunk latch and trunk lid rattles on hard bumps. I think I'm going to have to get H&R's real soon at teh expens of hella fast cornering! ARGH!
Old 11-30-2000, 10:25 PM

Kev, the H&R's will still be good performance springs. I don't think ull lose much real-time driving handling. Good luck!

Originally posted by Kevin
Dang it's driving me crazy both front door panels both A pillars even the trunk latch and trunk lid rattles on hard bumps. I think I'm going to have to get H&R's real soon at teh expens of hella fast cornering! ARGH!
Old 11-30-2000, 10:57 PM

i have H&R...and i hear so many rattles..it bothers me sometimes, i just wanna kick my car...anyways i didnt hear as much when i was lifted. i think the reason are my dead struts..they make my car bounce around..and make everything inside rattle..
Old 12-01-2000, 12:00 AM

Dude my suspension is stock and my whole car ****ing rattles... the front pillars REALLY bother me... i understand the rear deck because of subs, the front is what really bothers me... i only have 55k and have this ****... messed up
Old 12-01-2000, 04:02 AM

I get terrible rattles in my doors when the speakers punch out a lot of Bass. But that's kind of expected. I also have rattles from the engine compartment, since the FSTB sort of vibrates against the hood when the engine is cold and idling high.

Old 12-01-2000, 06:45 AM

I know this has been mentioned before, but...

On my way out of town last weekend, I stopped by The Home Depot and bought $2.00 worth of black soft foam insulation. One side of it is fairly adhesive and will stick anywhere you need it to, for how long, I don't know. In any case I put some in the crevice between the A pillar and the dash where I thought a rattle was emanating and sure enough that quieted things down a bit. Also, a piece of the insulation between the clear plasitc covering the speedo/tach cluster and the surrounding trim cut down some of the rattles. Now, I can only hear one more and I think it is coming from the passenger side seat belt area. I guess it's time to break it out again. In any case, each car will be a little different, but it can't hurt to try, it is really cheap and with the help of a credit card can be pushed into really tight places where it can't be seen and it will help calm down those rattling pieces.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-01-2000, 08:47 AM

speedo rattling?

I was just curious where you put the foam for the speedo cluster area. It seems that my speedo cluster is rattling soemtimes on very uneven roads...and it drives me bonkers. Were your speedo clusters rattling before?
I also have a new rattle on the driver side door. It seems something is loose inside. But it seems that things like that are expected of our cars--sad to say.

I drove an Acura for 12 years and I have to say it was built immacuately--no rattles after 12 years and a toyota camry--for 8 years---and no rattles.
In that quality dept. Nissan needs some work...more than just an engine that will keep everyone happy and coming back to buy another.

Originally posted by jahav

On my way out of town last weekend, I stopped by The Home Depot and bought $2.00 worth of black soft foam insulation. One side of it is fairly adhesive and will stick anywhere you need it to, for how long, I don't know. In any case I put some in the crevice between the A pillar and the dash where I thought a rattle was emanating and sure enough that quieted things down a bit. Also, a piece of the insulation between the clear plasitc covering the speedo/tach cluster and the surrounding trim cut down some of the rattles. Now, I can only hear one more and I think it is coming from the passenger side seat belt area. I guess it's time to break it out again. In any case, each car will be a little different, but it can't hurt to try, it is really cheap and with the help of a credit card can be pushed into really tight places where it can't be seen and it will help calm down those rattling pieces.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-01-2000, 10:36 AM

Re: I know this has been mentioned before, but...

That's a good idea, what's the stuff called? I think I could use some

Originally posted by jahav

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-01-2000, 12:49 PM

Foam tape

In response to the question about placement of the foam near the speedo: I placed a small amount of the insulation between the clear plastic covering the cluster, and the black trim around it. The gap between the black plastic (in my car at least)and the clear plastic is quite large, far to large for the pieces to be touching together and causing a rattle. But, if you push enough of the insulation in there, it will force the black plastic out some and stop the rattle. In my car, I placed the insulation in the lower left corner, and put the adhesive side to the clear plastic then slid it down into the gap with a credit card. It did leave some of the adhesive on the covering, but it is easily wiped off. As far as the name of the product itself.. I'm not exactly sure, I know it is manufactured by Frost King and is meant to insulate windows and doors in houses.. brand won't really matter though.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-02-2000, 12:21 AM

I dunno if this is the right Post

I have 2 12" subs in my trunk and they put out mad bass. I hear a lot of rattling in my trunk (expected). I am going to dynomat my trunk put there's one thing... I hear rattling coming from under the trunk when the subs are pumping... is the dynomat going to fix that too or do you thing it's just something loose that needs to be tightend or removed?