4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sumitomo htrz

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 05:38 PM

Sumitomo htrz

Does anyone have any experience with sumitomo htrz tires? I just bought wheels with these tires in a package deal, yeah i just found out they are one hundred dollar tires, oh well..
Old 05-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Sin

Re: Sumitomo htrz

Originally posted by CASS98SE
Does anyone have any experience with sumitomo htrz tires? I just bought wheels with these tires in a package deal, yeah i just found out they are one hundred dollar tires, oh well..
They are arguably the best tire dollar for dollar. They out perform the similarly priced Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712. And the 712 is a well known economy high performance tire. This is not to say the Sumi's are anywhere near the Bridgestone S-03 or Michelin Pilot Sport, or Toyo T1-S, but these three tires are anywhere from twice to thrice as much as the Sumi's.

Because I don't consider my Maxima to be as "hardcore" as my Volvo, it will be relegated to the Sumi HTRZ or the brand new Kuhmo MX (just advertised in the most recent Road & Track by Tirerack.com, which is supposedly far superior to the 712, while costing slightly more). While the Volvo will never see anything other than S-03, PS or T1-S. The only problem with the brand new MX is that because it is so new, it is not available in many sizes. But by the time I run through the stock Toyos, hopefully, the MX will be available in 235/40/18, which I will mount on 18" rims.

To sum it all up, don't worry, you will not be disapointed with the HTRZ's, unless you have grown acustom to such superior tires as those mentioned.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:52 PM
MAX

I just got some Sumitomo HTR+. Like them a lot so far. Used to have Yokohama Parada's, they were loud as hell. I like the new one's.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:24 PM

the HTR+ are a lot better, dave B has them and they are sticky as hell!
Old 05-23-2002, 10:01 PM

I'm also thinking about getting the new Kuhmos. Why do you say the Sumis outperform the 712? I saw a head to head review of the 2 and they were very comparable with tiny edge to Sumis on corners and to Kuhmos in rain - also I think the tread rating on Sumis is bad (post if I am wrong but I saw somewhere <200.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:27 AM

Re: Re: Sumitomo htrz

Originally posted by Sin

They are arguably the best tire dollar for dollar. They out perform the similarly priced Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712. And the 712 is a well known economy high performance tire. This is not to say the Sumi's are anywhere near the Bridgestone S-03 or Michelin Pilot Sport, or Toyo T1-S, but these three tires are anywhere from twice to thrice as much as the Sumi's.

Because I don't consider my Maxima to be as "hardcore" as my Volvo, it will be relegated to the Sumi HTRZ or the brand new Kuhmo MX (just advertised in the most recent Road & Track by Tirerack.com, which is supposedly far superior to the 712, while costing slightly more). While the Volvo will never see anything other than S-03, PS or T1-S. The only problem with the brand new MX is that because it is so new, it is not available in many sizes. But by the time I run through the stock Toyos, hopefully, the MX will be available in 235/40/18, which I will mount on 18" rims.

To sum it all up, don't worry, you will not be disapointed with the HTRZ's, unless you have grown acustom to such superior tires as those mentioned.
Sin,

Finally picked you up on the Maxima forum. How's it going with your Volvo?
Anyways, to answer the topic... I'm on my second set of HTRZIIs on my C70. The grip is amazing plus it handles really well in the snow and rain. I heard the 712 don't handle that well in the snow. However, my current set (2nd), the tires are incredibly annoyingly loud. Maybe I got a bad batch. I'm thinking of switching to Pirelly P7000s (I think). They are about the same price as the Sumis and Kumhos (about $100)
Old 05-24-2002, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by tyrotrader
I'm also thinking about getting the new Kuhmos. Why do you say the Sumis outperform the 712? I saw a head to head review of the 2 and they were very comparable with tiny edge to Sumis on corners and to Kuhmos in rain - also I think the tread rating on Sumis is bad (post if I am wrong but I saw somewhere <200.
Are you talking about the Kuhmo MX's? Let us know how they are because I think those are the street tires I'm going to go with from now on...my first set will go on whenever I can dust the 712's I have right now.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by MaxedBandit

Are you talking about the Kuhmo MX's? Let us know how they are because I think those are the street tires I'm going to go with from now on...my first set will go on whenever I can dust the 712's I have right now.
Are the MX's even available yet?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:51 AM

I have brand new HTR ZII or whatever they are called on 235/45/17. So far, better than my SP8k's were in the rain. Dry stick seems to be good so far even though that intial "wow, I got new tires, these are better than my bald tires were" syndrome has worn away..

I think that these are going to suck in the snow, but I hope to be pleasantly suprised..

Ian
Old 05-24-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Italic Ian
I have brand new HTR ZII or whatever they are called on 235/45/17. So far, better than my SP8k's were in the rain. Dry stick seems to be good so far even though that intial "wow, I got new tires, these are better than my bald tires were" syndrome has worn away..

I think that these are going to suck in the snow, but I hope to be pleasantly suprised..

Ian
FWIW i have htrz ii's also, got them a week before ian got his. so far they are great! they handle great, are quiet, and have good traction (and the tread pattern is nice too!) i read MANY posts on CEG comparing the 712s to the HTRZ II's and MOST people said they had better experiences with the Sumi's though the 712 is still a pretty good tire (right Steve?!)
Old 05-24-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by SVTour98

FWIW i have htrz ii's also, got them a week before ian got his. so far they are great! they handle great, are quiet, and have good traction (and the tread pattern is nice too!) i read MANY posts on CEG comparing the 712s to the HTRZ II's and MOST people said they had better experiences with the Sumi's though the 712 is still a pretty good tire (right Steve?!)
I thought it was a day..Mister UPS man was not so happy about that either.

I think the Kumho is a good tire (steve's hold up pretty well no matter how many birds he tries to run over)..I just wanted something different...

My sumis are bigger than yours

Ian
Old 05-24-2002, 07:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've got the HTR Z in the 225/50R16 and I couldn't be happier. These are probably the best tires I've ever had including the Goodyear GS-Cs that were on my 94 Z28. The grip is amazing in off the line acceleration and cornering. I use to have Yokohama Avid V4 215/55R16s and they are a joke compared to these tires. IMO, there's no such thing as a high performance all-season tire. On the street the HTR Zs hook up damn hard. At the track, it's dependant on the track conditions that day. A few weeks ago I made some passes and all my 60 foots were in the 2.2X range which never happens. I was only launching at 2200rpms too. The only problem with these tires is the 160 treadwear rating, but I did a lot of research on these tires and everyone says they get good mileage out of them if you drive fairly normal and not terribly aggresssive (25000 miles or so). For the amount of traction I get and the incredible looks of these tires, I'll gladly pay $380 every 2 years to be riding on these tires.

Dave
Old 05-24-2002, 07:45 AM

I thought it was a day..Mister UPS man was not so happy about that either.
yeah actually you're right, lol. week...day...same thing.

My sumis are bigger than yours

I KILL YOU FOOO!!!! Least I have MUSIC in my car! hahahaha

Steve hurry up and give Ian that amp already so he can go reprezent Tupac up in dat whip.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by SVTour98

yeah actually you're right, lol. week...day...same thing.

I KILL YOU FOOO!!!! Least I have MUSIC in my car! hahahaha

Steve hurry up and give Ian that amp already so he can go reprezent Tupac up in dat whip.
stop spamming
Old 05-24-2002, 09:44 AM

HTRZ-2

I recently purchased the HTRZ-2's and I love them. I had Yokohama Paradas then went to Nitto NT450 and finally the HTRZ-2's and by far they're the best!!!
the only thing is that they don't have the looks of the other two. I don't like how the tires look like they're bubbly. the yoko and nittos have a very nice boxy sidewall appearance.
but, SUMITOMOs ALL THE WAY!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:30 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

the sumi's are great...dunlop and sumitomo are part of the same company. they are very similar to the d9000, and a lot of the same technology went into devloping the htrz ii. very good choice dollar for dollar. i just ordered a set of 235/40-18s for my 5th gen, but the rims arrived all phucked up. bought them off CUSTOM WHOLESALE out of ohio, and they were sold as brand new...3 of the 4 all had the same circular arc gouged into the spokes, under the chrome...not surface damage if done from rough shipping. gary(manager) from cust. wholesale told me to call fed ex, that they damaged them, or to put them on and if they start to peel or flake to return them! they are on their way back to CUSTOM WHOLESALE to be exchanged for NEW wheels not refurbs! kinda suck cause the stock tires are almost bald, and really would feel a lot more comfortable with fresh rubber. be leary of custom wholesale if you are looking to purch anything. i got the wheels and tires off e-bay, so look out for them. anyway, enjoy the sumi's