4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Sprint/Agx Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed Sprint/Agx Today

Installed sprint/agx combo today @ Jason's(thebigsadler) house today. We had problems with the rear right strut and the stupid nut wont screw down any further cause the center of the strut spins when we try to tighten it....grrrr....guess i will be going to a shop on tuesday to have them air gun it down? Ne one know a solution to this, we tried holding the center with needle nose pliers but it just bent the pliers Ne ways the car looks awesome and aside from the clunking from the right rear strut it rides good and quiet(no creaks or screeches) i wrapped the coils and took njmaxseltd advice and bought the gasket material and cut out the mounts so that inbetween the chassis and the strut its silent, my rear original gaskets were shrunk like dried out prunes. Pictures to come soon

I cannot thank Jason and his friend enough for helping me or else i never would have gotten it done.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: Installed Sprint/Agx Today

I believe your rear strut the top has a fitting for a allen wrench, go look at it closely. If you stick an allen wrench you will be able to tighten it. I am trying to remember when I installed them on Mardigrasmax did it have them and I believe it did. If not try using a adjustable wrench to hold the center from spining. I invested in a set of open end wrenches that have the socket action and they come in mighty handy rear struts and other tight spaces. Also you should not have a hard time tightening that nut are you sure you put that nut on there properly? Check and see anyways you can still remove the nut and put it back on while on the car is on the ground.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: Installed Sprint/Agx Today

Yup - had the same problem on both rear struts. If I follow you, your having trouble tightening the "piston" nut? If so use vice grips to hold the very end in place and use an open ended wrench to tighten.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:09 PM

yea its the piston nut, the thing is we tried holding the center with needle nose pliers and with an open wrench tighten it but we only got it down to 3 or 4 threads but the needle nose pliers gave and bent like plastic , Jay what allen wrench, all cattman gave me with the kyb's was the little screw driver to adjust the settings?? oh boy it sounds horrible i really need to fix this tomorrow, its annoying the hell out of me cause i can't drive it...or won't cause i don't wanna hurt the car. I will see if i have a socket that fits the inside and then use an open wrench on the outside if that works , thank u ever so much
Old 05-26-2002, 07:46 PM

Use VICE GRIPS, they won't bend like the pliers...
Old 05-26-2002, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaximaRider
[B]yea its the piston nut, the thing is we tried holding the center with needle nose pliers and with an open wrench tighten it but we only got it down to 3 or 4 threads but the needle nose pliers gave and bent like plastic , Jay what allen wrench, all cattman gave me with the kyb's was the little screw driver to adjust the settings??

No no look directly on top of the shock right on top of the piston, does it have a small hole, look closely, right in the center of the nut that you are trying to tigten, if you do have a small hole look very closely and see if you can fit a allen wrench in there and instead of using pliers you can just stick a allen wrench or allen socket to hold the piston while to tighten the center nut. If I was you I would go outside loosen the center nut and put it back on slowly. Sometimes by being in a rush you may not installed the center nut correctly. It wont hurt to try, just ensure the car is sitting on the ground. I am trying to really remember the rear of the KYBS but cant really remember. exactly. if you dont have a hole try using a big adjustable wrench or use vice grips as posted above, but remove that nut anyways and look at the nut and piston and reinstall it.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:19 PM

I agree with jay25, remove the nut and try it agin. The nut may not have align correctly with the treads. Also I help a buddy this weekend putting shocks on his grand cherokee, the shocks had a 1/4 hex pattern which allowed me to tighten the shock with a rachet while holding the nut w. a open end wrench.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:53 PM
FJC

Your clunk may be from the bushings... Are they back on in the correct order?
Old 05-26-2002, 11:54 PM

the thing is we realigned it like 3 or 4 times, it just won't go down without spinning the center i really don't know what to do without airtools, i am gonna take it to nissan on tuesday and maybe they can just airgun it down or they have a certain socket that holds the center in place, boy is this ****in me off, it sounds horrible but i know once the nut is down it will be silent.... grrrrrrr...no there is no tiny hole for an allen wrench its just shaped like a rectangle in the center and nothin can hold it in place, there isn't enough room for vice grips to get a good grip.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:57 PM

unfortunatly i know they are not in the correct order but we got one side on in the incorrect order and it actually made it lower and silenter than it would be normally so we tried doing the other side like this as well, i guess i will take them off and redo them the correct way oh boy.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:57 PM
FJC

Originally posted by MaximaRider
the thing is we realigned it like 3 or 4 times, it just won't go down without spinning the center i really don't know what to do without airtools, i am gonna take it to nissan on tuesday and maybe they can just airgun it down or they have a certain socket that holds the center in place, boy is this ****in me off, it sounds horrible but i know once the nut is down it will be silent.... grrrrrrr...no there is no tiny hole for an allen wrench its just shaped like a rectangle in the center and nothin can hold it in place, there isn't enough room for vice grips to get a good grip.
Why don't you get some rubber and place it in the vice grips. Clasp onto the piston (carefully), turn the nut a few times and use the vise grips on the top...
Old 05-26-2002, 11:59 PM
FJC

Originally posted by MaximaRider
unfortunatly i know they are not in the correct order but we got one side on in the incorrect order and it actually made it lower and silenter than it would be normally so we tried doing the other side like this as well, i guess i will take them off and redo them the correct way oh boy.
Just cut one from the rear and it'll sit even...