4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Installed New Injen Cai

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 09:50 PM

Just Installed New Injen Cai

just wanted to let you guys know about the new injen cai. i just had it installed today and it looks really nice and is very quiet. you can definitley feel the difference. i think it is pretty good. anyone else have it???
Old 05-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

Originally posted by max_speed97
just wanted to let you guys know about the new injen cai. i just had it installed today and it looks really nice and is very quiet. you can definitley feel the difference. i think it is pretty good. anyone else have it???
you might be the first one to install it on this board... what do you mean by its not loud? what happens when you floor it? even a regular pop charger should be pretty damn loud.. do you notice any performance gain?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:59 PM

Where did you buy it?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:04 PM

Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

reset your ecu
Old 05-28-2002, 11:24 PM

Re: Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

reset your ecu
that...wont...make it louder...
and why the hell would you want a quiet intake?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:30 PM

what does the intake look like and where is the filter located? I heard it was closer to the front of the car than the other cai's. just wondering.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:27 AM
Kevlo for President

on injens website, it doesn't say anything bout intake for any max so how did u get it and where
Old 05-29-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by kevlo911
on injens website, it doesn't say anything bout intake for any max so how did u get it and where
I don't know where he got his but they have them on NOPI...
Old 05-29-2002, 06:12 PM

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...1667&last=1667
Old 05-29-2002, 09:14 PM

well i got it from my local dealer...and the filter is located towards the front llike right below the battery not liek the one from place racing and no drilling in the firewall...and i do feel the difference, very nice...get more boost...it is very nice
Old 05-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

and no drilling in the firewall...
You mean wheelwell (I would hope) .
So anybody could install this at their house because there is no drilling, right?
-Cyrus
Old 05-29-2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

You mean wheelwell (I would hope) .
So anybody could install this at their house because there is no drilling, right?
-Cyrus
well i had it installed from my local garage where i take my car to get other mods done...but it does not seem that hard...it is located like below the battery and in front of the fan..there is space in between that area and that is where the filter goes
Old 05-29-2002, 09:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
that...wont...make it louder...
the car has to learn the new fuel to air ratios.........its happened to a few of my friends cars, after resetting, it was loud as hell
Old 05-29-2002, 09:45 PM

Can u tell us how much just the intake cost you (less install)?

Thx.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:58 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have pictures of the 5th Gen and 4th gen on my homepage.. here's the link, but if its QUIET,, I DONT WANT IT !

Injen CAI PICTURES !
Old 05-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

On Options it says that it is 1 piece. Where does the MAF go? I'm all confused, yet excited at the same time.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

the car has to learn the new fuel to air ratios.........its happened to a few of my friends cars, after resetting, it was loud as hell
Old 05-29-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just Installed New Injen Cai

are u saying that i have to reset my ecu???...i dont believe the instructions said to do that???
Old 05-29-2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I have pictures of the 5th Gen and 4th gen on my homepage.. here's the link, but if its QUIET,, I DONT WANT IT !

Injen CAI PICTURES !
one question...i was just looking at your pictures...the first one is like mine....now i was wondering where you put the boost box?? it was just hanging on mine but i will have to just zip wire it so it dont hang????
Old 05-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

Ahh, then I look at the pictures and it all makes sense. I think I know what I'm going to be purchasing soon!!!
Old 05-29-2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
Can u tell us how much just the intake cost you (less install)?

Thx.
i got it for 250
Old 05-29-2002, 10:17 PM

question???? should i have reset my ecu??? is that why it is not loud and maybe i should be getting more power than i am right now???
Old 05-29-2002, 10:57 PM

question???? should i have reset my ecu??? is that why it is not loud and maybe i should be getting more power than i am right now???
Maybe it is loud outside but u cant hear it inside the cabin because of where the filter sits (i.e. infront of the car and not in the wheel well which is closer to the cabin)
Old 05-29-2002, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by nizmo

Maybe it is loud outside but u cant hear it inside the cabin because of where the filter sits (i.e. infront of the car and not in the wheel well which is closer to the cabin)
maybe but i'm pretty sure there is no sound...is there suppose to be though??
Old 05-29-2002, 11:42 PM

maybe but i'm pretty sure there is no sound...is there suppose to be though??
They are quiet at idle but are pretty loud when you floor it. Try standing outside while a friend revs the engine.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by nizmo

They are quiet at idle but are pretty loud when you floor it. Try standing outside while a friend revs the engine.
Even louder while the engine is under load - you won't truly be able to appreciate it by just revving the engine - better yet:

Have a friend do a first or second gear (depending on what works on your nearby streets) WOT roll-on past you, standing on the sidewalk.

U shd definitely be able to appreciate the difference from outside the car, (even if it is quieter than the PR or WSP CAI's).
Old 05-30-2002, 05:52 AM

1 piece...and you don't have to cut into the fender on a 4th gen? Interesting. I would assume it's loud. However, when you do just about ANYTHING on your car, it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...thereby resetting the ECU. It's supposedly really important for the car's "learning," but it also depends on the ECU. I know Subaru ECU's are very different.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by airmattdog
Ahh, then I look at the pictures and it all makes sense. I think I know what I'm going to be purchasing soon!!!
Funny though Injen website says its one piece, but the pics show 2?
Old 05-30-2002, 06:31 AM

Looks very good. Just wonder about water issues. With the other CAIs the wheel well protects the filter from seeing major water.

I need to double check, but isn't that area with the Injen filter goes more open? I would guess you can get more splashing of water up onto the filter?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by breaux124
Looks very good. Just wonder about water issues. With the other CAIs the wheel well protects the filter from seeing major water.

I need to double check, but isn't that area with the Injen filter goes more open? I would guess you can get more splashing of water up onto the filter?
isn't it protected by an the underbody fenders of the car?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:51 AM

Couple of things; the ECU is not reset by disconnecting the battery ( I think I read somewhere that it actually can be but you must leave the battery disconnected for many, many hours). Injen claims that they try to make all their CAIs one piece to ensure smooth flow but that not ALL of their CAIs are able to be one piece. As for the water problem - there should be none. The filter looks to be high enough from the ground so hydrolocking shouldn't be a problem and there are splash shields under your car (assuming you haven't removed them)that will deter water from entering the engine compartment. Looks like a nice intake. I wonder if it gets it power from the supposed cold air or because of the tunning characteristics of the tube. I say supposed cold air because it's right behind the radiator. What is the claimed increase? Any dynos yet?
Old 05-30-2002, 08:30 AM

Found a group buy on these intakes threw www.groupbuycenter.com. heres a link to the company supplying them injen

ps free shipping
Old 05-30-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
I wonder if it gets it power from the supposed cold air or because of the tunning characteristics of the tube. I say supposed cold air because it's right behind the radiator.
You DO realize HOT air passes from the backside of the radiator, toward the engine, right? Just want to be clear on this point. That's actually a semi-toasty area back there. The Injen filter may draw cooler air from below the engine than a stock intake, but who knows. . .

I agree though, it's a nice looking piece & if it gives gains, & no cutting into the fenderwell, that's a big plus.

-K-
Old 05-30-2002, 11:19 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

You DO realize HOT air passes from the backside of the radiator, toward the engine, right? Just want to be clear on this point. That's actually a semi-toasty area back there. The Injen filter may draw cooler air from below the engine than a stock intake, but who knows. . .

I agree though, it's a nice looking piece & if it gives gains, & no cutting into the fenderwell, that's a big plus.

-K-
Yea...It seems like the Cattman/PR intake design is the ultimate choice if your looking for the coolest air. It's the only intake so far that sits outside the engine bay. I don't think this intake will make as much down low hp/torque as the cattman/pr.

How again is this intake a "cold air" intake if it gets it air from inside the hot engine bay?
Old 05-30-2002, 01:18 PM

You DO realize HOT air passes from the backside of the radiator, toward the engine, right?
-K-
I got it - that's why I said "suposed" cold air. It may be a little cooler though. 1 since heat rises and this is lower in the engine compartment and 2 since it is closer to the front of the car and the incomming "cooler" air. I'd like to see some numbers on this though. I love my pop and don't wish to change but it's nice to know all the options.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:55 PM

I may be wrong but I don't think it's suposed to be a CAI. It says that its Injen's race division and they actually say cold air extension or intake on the ones that are more like the classic CAI design. It doesn't makesense then why there is piping though. I really would like some numbers or atleast opinions on this because it looks like a very good design. Someone let us know soon because I was just about to get the PR one when this idea came along, so I'm ready to get something.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Hey Everyone,

I just got the Injen intake on my 99 gle, and I must say that there is a significant increase in power. One note though... when I floor the gas pedal it does make that nice growl sound, so that people know that there is something else under the hood. The install was rather simple and no drilling (like kwheelzsb said is a plus). As for the rational of the placement, I think that there is functionality of its location. You do have hot air coming from the radiator, but the radiator is placed in a location where there is high flow of air (cooler air) that is why it's place there. Now as for it being a "true CAI"...any AI that draws cooler air than from the engine bay is a CAI (yes heat rises, but you have a hood to sort of trap it). One thing that I'm still thinking about is whether the longer polished tube actually heats up the air (this is because the metal will heat up to ambient temperature of the engine bay, thus heating the air because of it’s long path). What do you guys think? I still installed it even though I’m still thinking about this issue. I do plan on using the old manifold/air molds to direct cooler air down there. Someone asked where to get it. I got mine in S.Cali (The Tint Shop in Whittier{WTS}) since I’m from ELA, but I had to drive down cause I work in the Bay area (got to see family too). Prices are much cheaper down there than up here in the Bay area,I got mine for 240 installed and retail on these is about 340. IF your going to the get yours from this shop (562-908-6808) talk to MATT and tell him that Jose from the Bay area sent you.
If anyone one in the Bay area wants to see this setup in person let me know. I'm looking for a "Max support group" up here.
On another issue...Can someone tell me how to make a signature with picutres? I would like to post what my car looks like.

Lates

MAXIMIZE YOUR LIFE
Old 08-26-2002, 06:32 PM

I got mine about two weeks ago from www.adventon.com for $220 for the polished plus shipping. The intake is two piece and it comes with everything you need to install. There is a fitment problem that is easily done by bending the bracket after bolting it up tight then bending it until you have enough clearance from the wire loom as stated on the intruction manual.

As far a noise, you can defenitely hear the air rushing in at idle. There is also a whistling noise almost like turbo sounding at certain RPM and engine load.

The filter is located right behind the radiator and the fog light. A little more to the fog light side. And about 2-3 inch before the plastic sheild below.

The engine is more responsive. But i did install my Injen intake and Apexi exhaust the same night.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:17 PM
JsL

http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...les/RD1925.jpg

You guys might want to take a look at that. 12hp to the wheels is not bad, but keep in mind Injen did this dyno. This is a "CAI" and has long piping, but the high end did not seem to have suffered. There were gains throughout the powerband. I will trust the numbers more if someone dynoed it themselves. It would also be interesting to see a dyno for a 4th gen with a frankencar and campare it with the injen.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by JsL
http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...les/RD1925.jpg

You guys might want to take a look at that. 12hp to the wheels is not bad, but keep in mind Injen did this dyno. This is a "CAI" and has long piping, but the high end did not seem to have suffered. There were gains throughout the powerband. I will trust the numbers more if someone dynoed it themselves. It would also be interesting to see a dyno for a 4th gen with a frankencar and campare it with the injen.
Looks like the characteristics of a maxima dyno. But 12hp at the wheels is really hard to believe.

Quick Reply: Just Installed New Injen Cai