4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Made my own upper intake pipe tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 09:16 PM

Made my own upper intake pipe tonight...

Today I decided to save my money from buying an upper intake pipe from PR or WSP, and (with the help of Jamsan sending me the thread as to how to do it), I successfully completed the mod. Took me quite a while, but it was well worth it. The noise is so LOUD under WOT. My brother heard me from about a block away and said he could hear me no problem. The only minor problem I have is that two hoses arent hooked back up because there was no place to plug them in. (I'm talking about the hoses coming directly off the engine itself). I think tomorrow I am going to go to Autozone and get a breather filter to replace one of the hoses just like the thread recommended. I'd suggest other people do this mod too if they feel like saving a little $$. Cost me only $10.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: Made my own upper intake pipe tonight...

Originally posted by SoccrZ
Today I decided to save my money from buying an upper intake pipe from PR or WSP, and (with the help of Jamsan sending me the thread as to how to do it), I successfully completed the mod. Took me quite a while, but it was well worth it. The noise is so LOUD under WOT. My brother heard me from about a block away and said he could hear me no problem. The only minor problem I have is that two hoses arent hooked back up because there was no place to plug them in. (I'm talking about the hoses coming directly off the engine itself). I think tomorrow I am going to go to Autozone and get a breather filter to replace one of the hoses just like the thread recommended. I'd suggest other people do this mod too if they feel like saving a little $$. Cost me only $10.

Not bad at all.. Could you compare it to other brand name CAI's?
can you send me the thread? thanks
Old 05-29-2002, 10:54 PM

If you have the large rubber hose that runs behind the throttle body disconnected, that is bad!

You have unfiltered air going into you engine.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by 97GLE
If you have the large rubber hose that runs behind the throttle body disconnected, that is bad!

You have unfiltered air going into you engine.
No that hose is connected to the pipe, so there IS filtered air going into there. However I do have a problem. The hose that is connected to the right side of the engine itself is without a place to go. I just duct taped it shut, but then I realized that engine oil residue comes out of this hose...so the engine oil pressure warning light came on when I was out driving. I must do something about this VERY soon. On the thread it showed the guy put a breather filter in place of the hose, but the one I bought didn't fit. If anyone has any suggestions, please give them to me!
This is the link:
http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html
Old 05-30-2002, 06:59 PM

I did the same thing, took me 15mins. difficult part was putting a round hole on the rubber, with a knife. I used a breather for honda, APC makes them, the one with blue metal top.
No difference in sound, may be cuz i still have my stock air box?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 PM

breather

it was a REAL ***** to go on, but got it on finally....just give it a good try and itll go on...got mine at pep boys...the APC one.....about those hoses....hmm....get the breather ASAP and you shouldnt have any problems....
Old 05-30-2002, 09:16 PM

seems kind of shaky....doesnt seem like you knew what you were doing with all those hoses
Old 05-30-2002, 09:36 PM

Yes that does sound shaky. I would definitely put a filter on it or just make another pipe to go on to the intake piece.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:42 PM

does it make any noise/sound like stock @ idle/crusing ?
Old 05-30-2002, 10:10 PM

i'm actually gonna try to make my own just like the wsp piece. my dad has an arc welder and i was thinking of using that to complete the whole pipe or use jb weld(?). i ordered and intake adapter from summit racing which i will use to attach to the maf. my friend a mandrel bent 90 degree tube that i'll try to cut and connect it to the throttle body. i'll take pics if the setup is succesful.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:42 PM

i'm actually gonna try to make my own just like the wsp piece. my dad has an arc welder and i was thinking of using that to complete the whole pipe or use jb weld(?). i ordered and intake adapter from summit racing which i will use to attach to the maf. my friend a mandrel bent 90 degree tube that i'll try to cut and connect it to the throttle body. i'll take pics if the setup is succesful.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All this talk about hybrid intake got me interested in seeing what type of setup I have. I took my car to Sonic Boom, a motorsports store, to have a short ram K&N cone filter intake installed. I thought the setup was nice. I didn't get the CAI since it floods here occasionally, and the guys reccomended I get the pop charger.

After it was installed, I revved the engine and noticed the deeper throaty sound. I had the stock airbox in the trunk and thought the setup of the new intake was alright. The acceleration felt the same. I didn't really notice a difference and the engine growled at when I accelerated quickly on the highway.

So today I decide to check out my setup with all this talk about hybrid intake and CAI. Guess what I discovered? The guys left the stock resonater piping and attached it to the MAF followed by the new cone intake

Is this even corret? The two hoses from the engine are still connected to the stock resonator as well. What's your take on it? Does anyone have this setup? Does this setup restrict performance? I still get the sound of a pop charger; so I'm thinking it's alright.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:05 AM

Sounds like the standard POP intake. To make a hybrid, replace the resonator next to the throttle body with a pipe like Jamsan's.

DW

Originally posted by athlon omega
All this talk about hybrid intake got me interested in seeing what type of setup I have. I took my car to Sonic Boom, a motorsports store, to have a short ram K&N cone filter intake installed. I thought the setup was nice. I didn't get the CAI since it floods here occasionally, and the guys reccomended I get the pop charger.

After it was installed, I revved the engine and noticed the deeper throaty sound. I had the stock airbox in the trunk and thought the setup of the new intake was alright. The acceleration felt the same. I didn't really notice a difference and the engine growled at when I accelerated quickly on the highway.

So today I decide to check out my setup with all this talk about hybrid intake and CAI. Guess what I discovered? The guys left the stock resonater piping and attached it to the MAF followed by the new cone intake

Is this even corret? The two hoses from the engine are still connected to the stock resonator as well. What's your take on it? Does anyone have this setup? Does this setup restrict performance? I still get the sound of a pop charger; so I'm thinking it's alright.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Sounds like the standard POP intake. To make a hybrid, replace the resonator next to the throttle body with a pipe like Jamsan's.

DW

Here's what I did. Cost me $50

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...02_15_full.jpg

I love this setup. I didn't feel real comfortable with how I made the DIY upper intake. The thought of losing a barb fitting in my Throttle Body kept me up at night. I'm just one of those paranoid people, but if you do Jamsan's Mod right, you shouldn't have any problems.

As far as cutting the hole for the fittings with a knife goes, I did it with a drill, and it took me like thirty seconds.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:42 AM

That's even better! You've pretty much duplicated the PR CAI upper section. By the way, could you at least make both your hoses the same color I actually had the same colors as you for a short time.

DW

Originally posted by maxwillden

I love this setup. I didn't feel real comfortable with how I made the DIY upper intake. The thought of losing a barb fitting in my Throttle Body kept me up at night. I'm just one of those paranoid people, but if you do Jamsan's Mod right, you shouldn't have any problems.

As far as cutting the hole for the fittings with a knife goes, I did it with a drill, and it took me like thirty seconds.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
That's even better! You've pretty much duplicated the PR CAI upper section. By the way, could you at least make both your hoses the same color I actually had the same colors as you for a short time.

DW

I know, it looks retarded. When I did it a couple of weeks ago, the only Parts Store that was open had only red hose

I need to replace it, I've just been lazy...
Old 05-31-2002, 09:04 AM

Hey That looks pretty good! Where did you get the piping and connectors?
Where can you get the hose connectors in different colors?I want something like that to make my engine bay not only clean, but shiny!
Old 05-31-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Danielsan

Hey That looks pretty good! Where did you get the piping and connectors?
Where can you get the hose connectors in different colors?I want something like that to make my engine bay not only clean, but shiny!
Thanks, I got it from DOHCCIVIC on E-bay for $50 Shipped.

The pipe connectors only come in blue. The hoses should all be black, but the parts store only had red when I installed it. I am going to replace it today.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:09 AM

awww boooo....no pride in your work? ...dont get the cheezy fleabay one....you get much more satisfaction from making it yourself, and just drill the whole smaller, and you should have no problem at all of things going into your throttle body
Old 05-31-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan
awww boooo....no pride in your work? ...dont get the cheezy fleabay one....you get much more satisfaction from making it yourself, and just drill the whole smaller, and you should have no problem at all of things going into your throttle body
No, I couldn't find all the same parts that were recommended, and truthfully, I just really wanted to get rid of the accordian section. Besides, I also like the look and sound of the aluminum. I give props to the Do it Yourselfers, because I am one myself. I just didn't trust my own work on this project...
Old 05-31-2002, 12:53 PM

would it be effective if we used this type of DIY upper piece, and isolated the filter with some sheetmetal, and made it sit over the cold air hole that u would normally have with the PR CAI?? ive been thinking of this but was not sure. i have seen the filter with a box made around it, which deflects heat, and would the PRCAI hole allow cooler air to get to the filter, cuz i can make a box around the filter for next to nothing. or is this a lost cause and just go with the upper DIY intake?
Old 05-31-2002, 01:01 PM

well....first, you can get rid of the accordion section, just get a longer duct....2nd...i have no idea what your talking about with the fact of the heat ****eld...whatever that is...and 3rd, about the CAI hole...you could make it open it up, but barely any air would get in there cuz of the thingies (gear box or whatever the **** its called)....you can give it a try tho
Old 05-31-2002, 08:00 PM

After checking with several motorsports stores here in Dallas, the consensus is that I do have a pop charger. MAny of the guys I asked said that they perform the same function. They noted that the aluminum piping was just for show. The essential part is the K&N filter.

Moreover, they noted that I get more air thorugh my setup than using the short aluminum piping. I got this from not only the stores here, but also from the store in the N.O. where I got it installed. Get this, they said that the whole intake system for the Maxima would cost me around $325. WHen I asked what the difference was,they noted that the more expensive option has more bends and longer piping specifically designed for the 95 maxima. After all this talk and confusion, I decided to just stick with my setup. I get the same sound and same performance from what I've read so far on these boards.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:29 AM

Awesome! Where did you get the materials and what are the materials you used? How did you secure the nipples to the tube?

Thanks,
magic_max
'96SE

Old 06-03-2002, 07:13 AM

hey wat size tubing do you need to replace the old ones with? I am talking about the tubes that connects to that piping? If i buy that pipe from ebay does he have does the tubes come with it? Thanks
Old 06-03-2002, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by athlon omega
I decided to just stick with my setup. I get the same sound and same performance from what I've read so far on these boards.
Theres nothing wrong with the stock setup if you want to stick with it, but you do not get the same sound or peformance.

Making your own intake isn't hard, and should cost less the $50 bucks including a filter. The only setup I know of that costs over $300 is the Injen CAI.

But if you think its too much hassle you should probably stick with stock.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by 97GLE

Theres nothing wrong with the stock setup if you want to stick with it, but you do not get the same sound or peformance.

Making your own intake isn't hard, and should cost less the $50 bucks including a filter. The only setup I know of that costs over $300 is the Injen CAI.

But if you think its too much hassle you should probably stick with stock.
That's the same way mine is setup. I'll try to make the upper intake. However, I'm not mechanically inclined on doing something that they mess up my only means of transportation away from home if I don't do it right. I'll read more on it before I build it.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by 95maxred
hey wat size tubing do you need to replace the old ones with? I am talking about the tubes that connects to that piping? If i buy that pipe from ebay does he have does the tubes come with it? Thanks

You'll have to pick up 3' of 5/8" Heater Hose (preferably black.) The hoses that come stock, are too short to reach the new upper piping. The upper tube was purchased from DOHCCIVIC on E-bay.

You'll have to E-mail him to purchase this seperately.

Here is the item reference from E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...655300&r=0&t=0
Old 06-03-2002, 11:15 AM

You'll have to pick up 3' of 5/8" Heater Hose (preferably black.) The hoses that come stock, are too short to reach the new upper piping. The upper tube was purchased from DOHCCIVIC on E-bay.

You'll have to E-mail him to purchase this seperately.

Here is the item reference from E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...655300&r=0&t=0
Or instead of using heater hose, just pick up a breather filter like some of the guys said. I did it and though it was nearly impossible to get it on, I finally got it and its pretty secure. But thats because I MADE my own upper intake, I didn't buy it, so there wasn't a place to put the hose on the pipe.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by SoccrZ

Or instead of using heater hose, just pick up a breather filter like some of the guys said. I did it and though it was nearly impossible to get it on, I finally got it and its pretty secure. But thats because I MADE my own upper intake, I didn't buy it, so there wasn't a place to put the hose on the pipe.
Or, you could save someone from walking to the autoparts store and read all the previous posts.

If you buy the E-bay Upper Piping, like he asked me, you STILL have to buy the heater hose. The heater hose that connects the STOCK RESONATOR is too short with the upper piping. I still connected the Valve Cover inlet to the upper piping, as it is not a performance issue.