4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

do I have a clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do I have a clutch problem?

I have a tough time getting a smooth start with my 5sp 98. The "sweet spot" seems to be too short. I either launch like crazy or kill it. Well, I can get a smooth start, but I have to be very careful, and that just doen't seem right. Same with shifts between other gears always shake it, unless i'm careful. Other drivers have noticed too, so it's not just my bad driving. I've driven other manuals and havent' had the problem. Thanks, and yes, I searched and looked in many other posts for this problem - no luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:36 AM

Yup, I have the same problem. I just let the clutch out faster so the chatter doesn't last as long!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:08 PM
I'm so hood

It's something I've come to live with. It challenges me to be more exact with my feet I guess. One thing I've always found disappointing is there seems to be no sitting position that's comfortable, shifting-wise, for me. The steering wheel doesn't tilt up high enough, and/or the seat doesn't go back far enough...and I'm only 6'1. That crunches my legs up a bit more and makes shifts a little harder.

But really, I don't think anything's wrong with your clutch. I just think it's a bit more touchy than most. I'd like to see what effect an aftermarket clutch would have...
Old 05-30-2002, 12:36 PM

I dont know fellas. I have a '98 5spd and I shift smoother than an automatic. Never had a problem...in fact its one of the easiest sticks to shift smoothly I've ever driven.

I dont put the clutch to the floor ever except for stopping..dont know if that has anything to do with it
Old 05-30-2002, 01:28 PM

I agree, its just a touchy clutch and gas. Everything can't be perfect on the car
Old 05-30-2002, 01:45 PM

i think its the clutch...

i have the exact problem you guys have and im almost sure its the clutch. does your clutch also feel like its slipping? that is another sign to a worn out clutch along with the 'sweet spot' feeling deeper than usual. although im used to it now and have barely any clutch chatter, i plan on replacing my clutch with an ACT. soon hopefully.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:36 PM

It's definitely the clutch. My old clutch was smooth, but had clutch groan. My new clutch has a slight groan and a lot of chatter. Oh well...
Old 05-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just started driving 5-speed. I've driven for about 6 days, not in a row, maybe 2 times every weekend for the last two weeks, and once yesterday.

I stalled a total of two times already. Luckily it was during a stop light. I'm a lot more careful now...

and abotu the clutch, this is the only manual I've ever driven, so I had to get used to its sensitivity from the get go. It's engage/disengage range is VERY short, even IMO. It takes a lot of timing and feeling with the gas and clutch. It's hard!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:49 PM

Re: i think its the clutch...

Originally posted by _DRU_
i have the exact problem you guys have and im almost sure its the clutch. does your clutch also feel like its slipping? that is another sign to a worn out clutch along with the 'sweet spot' feeling deeper than usual. although im used to it now and have barely any clutch chatter, i plan on replacing my clutch with an ACT. soon hopefully.
**** can you get me a job doing what you are doing??????
Old 05-30-2002, 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: i think its the clutch...

Thanks to everyone for replies! Whenever I'm not careful, I stall it All it takes not to stall is to press the gas pedal a little bit more, but I try to avoid revs higher than 1500, unless I need to launch fast... Like today when I pulled up to this Corvette... he did not even want to race... I had no chance, but thought it would be fun. I took off from the light only to see that he did not bother. And good that he did not, a cop was coming in the opposite lane... the corvette guy probably had a radar detector... or just was too old, like most corvette owners

Thanks to all for replies again. I guess I'll have to live with the clutch that I have. It's excellent for aggressive driving and that's what I plan on doing
Old 05-31-2002, 12:06 AM
Honda Convert!

IS it a factory clutch, if so ive noticed that towards the end of the life of a factory clutch they tend to act funny they stick they slip or they chatter, im on my second clutch now and im about to install my act and my clutch is starting to act funny now like yours. also how many miles are on it.

Bruce
Old 05-31-2002, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by papasmurf
IS it a factory clutch, if so ive noticed that towards the end of the life of a factory clutch they tend to act funny they stick they slip or they chatter, im on my second clutch now and im about to install my act and my clutch is starting to act funny now like yours. also how many miles are on it.

Bruce
It's supposed to be new, with about 5,000 miles on it! I bought the car not too long ago, at 61K, and the guy told me it's a new clutch - gave me a receipt to prove it too. I don't want to sound like a have a huge problem - all it does is stall if I miss the very short "sweet spot." If I rev the engine too much, I smell the clutch burning. So I just have to be careful. It would be cool if it could be somehow adjusted, but I'm not sure that is possible.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I recently went from stock clutch to ACT. The stock clutch was still good after 125K miles, but my tranny bearings went bad. Since the fix involved open heart surgery on the tranny, I replaced the stocker with an ACT. The ACT is a much stronger clutch, but it ain't the smoothest, especially during the breakin period. I remember stalling 4 times when I was leaving the lot. It was like the ACT clutch just grabbed the engine and said DIE! I miss the stock clutch for it smoothness. I do remember that as my original clutch got older, it would respond funny sometimes too. I just dealt with it.

NicC, maybe the new clutch was an ACT, or some other aftermarket?? Probably not stock?

DW
Old 05-31-2002, 01:14 PM
I'm so hood

I dont know fellas. I have a '98 5spd and I shift smoother than an automatic. Never had a problem...in fact its one of the easiest sticks to shift smoothly I've ever driven.
Well, when you can shift it well, it's real smooth. The only real problem I have with mine is the groan/rumble off the launch (besides the seating problem I brought up earlier in the thread). I haven't seen this in any other manual car I've gotten into. And it seems a little variable. Maybe it's a bearing-type issue, not sure. More annoying than anything. It's funny how on a slight incline, I can sit there and feather it so the car is still & have it rumble the whole time (lifting a very very tiny tad more up off the clutch will allow it to feather still without rumbling).
Old 05-31-2002, 02:23 PM

hey, can you give me more info on tranny bearings? i hear a lot about them being the problem but i have no idea what they are/do. right now it seems i have clutch issues and possibly bearings too(according to symptoms). but since i am going to change the clutch, i minus well change the bearings, if they are bad, as you did. so can you give me more info on bad bearings and how to check and things of that sort? thanks a lot!

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I recently went from stock clutch to ACT. The stock clutch was still good after 125K miles, but my tranny bearings went bad. Since the fix involved open heart surgery on the tranny, I replaced the stocker with an ACT. The ACT is a much stronger clutch, but it ain't the smoothest, especially during the breakin period. I remember stalling 4 times when I was leaving the lot. It was like the ACT clutch just grabbed the engine and said DIE! I miss the stock clutch for it smoothness. I do remember that as my original clutch got older, it would respond funny sometimes too. I just dealt with it.

NicC, maybe the new clutch was an ACT, or some other aftermarket?? Probably not stock?

DW
Old 05-31-2002, 04:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just had my clutch replaced not less then 1000 miles ago. It does seem very touchy, but still doesnt grab well. A stock clutch should easily chirp second, but it will not happen with my brand new OEM clutch. Any ideas? Also, when first engaging it, it vibrates/lurches, unless i launch a little harder. When the clutch was replaced, the master and slave cylinder were replaced along with the flywheel being resurfaced. I'm thinking i have to take it back to the shop because it just doesnt seem right how the clutch is not grabbing.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:33 PM

i thought that a the max was just hard to drive cuz it was a used car, i have driven many new 5spd and its so smooth, i have the same problem as you guys, when some else drives my car they say its hard to get use to, i thought about replacing the clutch also, bcuz i noticed its hard to bang 2nd, am i right?? or does that have to do with something else?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:05 PM

Man I am really confused. I don't have any problem with my clutch besides it squeaks once and a while when I put it in. My car shifts smoothly. I've got 82k miles on my '98 MAX SE 5spd.

Oh by the way...anyone know how to fix the squeaking???
Old 05-31-2002, 11:58 PM

If the ACT clutch is sticky and hard to operate, why are guys getting it? What are the advantages of it over the OEM clutch? Better for racing? Seems like a lot of people are disappointed with the ACT.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:05 AM

The ACT clutch is a bit more of a challange than stock, but it is also much stronger than stock. Witht he stock clutch, I've sometimes felt that the motro would "run away" from the clutch in 3rd gear. Happened to me a couple of times when I was driving hard. I would engage the clutch fully but it seemed like it didn't grab %100.

With the ACT, I don't think I'll ever have that problem, and it gets easier to drive as it wears in more.

By the way, one advantage to replacing with a stock clutch, usually the shop who does it will guarrantee it forever. My shop offered me that. I still went with the ACT, though.

DW

Originally posted by MercerMax
If the ACT clutch is sticky and hard to operate, why are guys getting it? What are the advantages of it over the OEM clutch? Better for racing? Seems like a lot of people are disappointed with the ACT.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:11 AM

You know how you sometimes hear you gears whining in 1st gear? That's normal. Now, if you start to hear that gear whine in 2nd, 3rd etc, then that's it, your bearings are on their way out. Listen carefully for it by closing all the windows, turn off the radio, and climate control and drive around.

To see what the bearings look like go here;

www.motorvate.ca

You can consider this guy, MaxVQ, and also EricDWong on this site, the 4th gen tranny doctors

DW

Originally posted by _DRU_
hey, can you give me more info on tranny bearings? i hear a lot about them being the problem but i have no idea what they are/do. right now it seems i have clutch issues and possibly bearings too(according to symptoms). but since i am going to change the clutch, i minus well change the bearings, if they are bad, as you did. so can you give me more info on bad bearings and how to check and things of that sort? thanks a lot!