4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU Codes 0304, 0707...Can someone help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 06:08 PM

ECU Codes 0304, 0707...Can someone help me out...

As some of you may know, I have been posting lately about my CEL being on ever since I had my GReddy Exhaust installed. It kept throwing code 0505, but tonight I managed to get some real codes out of it.

It gave me 0707 and 0304. 0707 is the Rear Heated O2 sensor and 0304 is the Knock Sensor. I did a search and found out where the O2 sensor that I need to check is located (on the cat between the passenger side and rear passenger side doors). The post I found told me that I should clean the dirt off of it and that should do the trick. It also said that if that doesn't work that I may need to replace it.

I also did a search and 0304 is the knock sensor. I know a lot of people have been replacing the knock sensor in their cars. My car only has 59K miles, so I don't think it needs to be replaced. Is it possible that the knock sensor code is coming up because of the heated O2 sensor? Or are they not related at all?

I'm going to check the O2 sensor as soon as I get a chance to jack my car up and look at it. Is there anything else I should be checking with these two codes?

Just as a note, I have a '97 SE Automatic with 59,000 miles, a Stillen Intake, and a GReddy Catback Exhaust. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 05-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think the two codes are releted. The ECU doesn't use the info from the rear O2 to adjust the way the engines runs. It uses it as a monitor for the condition of the catalytic converter only. You're right, cleaning it will probably take care of that code.

Knock sensors are really sensitive and it really isn't unheard of to hear of one failing with as few miles as you have. My car had been running a little sluggishly for the last 20,000 miles or so and I never considered the KS until I read all the posts that have come up recently so I bit the bullet and bought one. It really isn't too difficult to replace and does make a difference. It seems to get better after driving it for some miles even after resetting the ECU. I just did the job three days ago so I won't know if my mileage has gotten better until I fill it up again but the car does feel a lot peppier.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by exhip95
I don't think the two codes are releted. The ECU doesn't use the info from the rear O2 to adjust the way the engines runs. It uses it as a monitor for the condition of the catalytic converter only. You're right, cleaning it will probably take care of that code.

Knock sensors are really sensitive and it really isn't unheard of to hear of one failing with as few miles as you have. My car had been running a little sluggishly for the last 20,000 miles or so and I never considered the KS until I read all the posts that have come up recently so I bit the bullet and bought one. It really isn't too difficult to replace and does make a difference. It seems to get better after driving it for some miles even after resetting the ECU. I just did the job three days ago so I won't know if my mileage has gotten better until I fill it up again but the car does feel a lot peppier.

Good Luck!
Ok, so how do I go about seeing if I need a new knock sensor?

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 05-30-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Nick97SE

Thanks,
-Nick
This is what you do...
Remove your rear heated o2 sensor, take a damp alcohol wetted cloth. Clean all the black crap from sensor. Allow it to dry, and put it back in your exhaust. Reset your ECU, have a nice day.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Nick97SE

Thanks,
-Nick
Do as suggested and clean the O2 first. Reset the ECU. If the CEL comes back on and it gives you either of the two codes, replace accordingly. If you don't get the CEL back on, enjoy the ride.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Do as suggested and clean the O2 first. Reset the ECU. If the CEL comes back on and it gives you either of the two codes, replace accordingly. If you don't get the CEL back on, enjoy the ride.
replace the O2 sensor first. Many things cause the engine Knock Sensor to set off. It's kind of the weak link of the sensors.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
replace the O2 sensor first. Many things cause the engine Knock Sensor to set off. It's kind of the weak link of the sensors.
I second this. Don't do anything with the knock sensor until after the 02 sensor problem is taken care. Reset the ECUand see what happens, then go from there.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:43 PM

Just keep in mind that the knock sensor will not give you a CEL by itself. There would have to be another code which will cause the light. If the Knock sensor is bad it will throw the code again pretty quick so check the ECU the day after resetting it to see if you get 0304 again.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:18 PM

Just keep in mind that the knock sensor will not give you a CEL by itself. There would have to be another code which will cause the light. If the Knock sensor is bad it will throw the code again pretty quick so check the ECU the day after resetting it to see if you get 0304 again.
That isn't true. I've seen CEL come on from only Knock Sensors. I believe people just assume that they don't because they only get them inconjunction with other errors. Otherwise you would never know if you have a bad K/S
Old 05-31-2002, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
That isn't true. I've seen CEL come on from only Knock Sensors. I believe people just assume that they don't because they only get them inconjunction with other errors. Otherwise you would never know if you have a bad K/S
I don't want to start anythig but the reason I just replaced my K/S is because I checked my ECU without having a CEL and found 0304. I reset the ECU, drove the car for another couple of days and checked it again. 0304, no CEL. Again I reset the ECU and checked it the next day to find the same code without getting a CEL.

I have read on this board about the K/S not throwing a CEL and I have found this to be true through my own experience with my car. I just checked the ECU again before responding and I no longer have any codes besides 0505.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:17 PM

I don't want to start anythig but the reason I just replaced my K/S is because I checked my ECU without having a CEL and found 0304. I reset the ECU, drove the car for another couple of days and checked it again. 0304, no CEL. Again I reset the ECU and checked it the next day to find the same code without getting a CEL.

I have read on this board about the K/S not throwing a CEL and I have found this to be true through my own experience with my car. I just checked the ECU again before responding and I no longer have any codes besides 0505.
I know this could turn into one of those never ending threads again, but I have seen 0304 come up as the only code. I used to get it all the time during track driving.