4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake Upgrades

OK, my brakes are really bad. They started to squeal at first, but now, they squeal WHILE im driving. Not too sure why, maybe just because they are gone and I need new ones. ( I hope) From what I understand, the braking power come from the pads not the rotors. Which pads should I get? Pepboys.. or shell out more money for Nissan's.. or even more for somebody like Brembo..? And does anybody know prices on this stuff?
oh and btw, just curious...how does the % work out for braking? 90% front and %10 back?
Old 06-01-2002, 06:13 AM

Re: Brake Upgrades

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
OK, my brakes are really bad. They started to squeal at first, but now, they squeal WHILE im driving. Not too sure why, maybe just because they are gone and I need new ones. ( I hope) From what I understand, the braking power come from the pads not the rotors. Which pads should I get? Pepboys.. or shell out more money for Nissan's.. or even more for somebody like Brembo..? And does anybody know prices on this stuff?
oh and btw, just curious...how does the % work out for braking? 90% front and %10 back?
It sounds like you are on the wear indicators if the screech is constant. The pads should be changed ASAP if this is the case, or you will severely damage your rotors and could put yourself in a bad situation.

A high quality pad is much more critical to good braking performance than the rotor is. Pepboy's actually has some decent pads available. You can search recent posts about which one's would be good for you. IMO Nissan pads suck and I will never use them again. Plan on spending between $35-80 per axle for a decent set of pads.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:04 PM

get some metal matrix pads that will improve the stopping distance, if you need to get rotors get the cross drilled, stillen makes the metal matrix, i have em they're great, also thinkm about putting in some stianless steel brake lines instead of rubber would should also improve stopping distance, thanks
Old 06-01-2002, 05:54 PM

- Let me just start by saying that good equipment saved me and my Max from a potentially dangerous accident once... this little old lady in her white Crown Vic (about as stereotypical as they come, folks) pulled right on out in front of my straight lane from her turn-signal lane. I jammed on the brakes, kept them on the brink of lock-up and came to a stop mere centimeters from her bumper. I had no lanes to go to and, had I hit her, one of us could have been bumped into another lane or another car.
- As you can imagine, I am a true believer in good brakes... especially if your car does not have ABS. Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy cheap brake pads.

- Personally, I have the Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Stillen sells 'em) and Porterfield R4-S brake pads at all four corners. Both mods are fantastic and I would enthusiastically recommend them to you. My braking distances are SIGNIFICANTLY shorter with the Porterfields.
- Both mods are straightforward to install and can be accomplished with a few wrenches (and some new brake fluid if you do the lines).
- And hey, if it makes any difference, EVERYONE who has driven my car at an AutoCross, a Track Day, or on the street has commented on the car's "great brakes" and positive feeling brake pedal.

Happy braking,

Matt
Old 06-01-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- Let me just start by saying that good equipment saved me and my Max from a potentially dangerous accident once... this little old lady in her white Crown Vic (about as stereotypical as they come, folks) pulled right on out in front of my straight lane from her turn-signal lane. I jammed on the brakes, kept them on the brink of lock-up and came to a stop mere centimeters from her bumper. I had no lanes to go to and, had I hit her, one of us could have been bumped into another lane or another car.
- As you can imagine, I am a true believer in good brakes... especially if your car does not have ABS. Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy cheap brake pads.

- Personally, I have the Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Stillen sells 'em) and Porterfield R4-S brake pads at all four corners. Both mods are fantastic and I would enthusiastically recommend them to you. My braking distances are SIGNIFICANTLY shorter with the Porterfields.
- Both mods are straightforward to install and can be accomplished with a few wrenches (and some new brake fluid if you do the lines).
- And hey, if it makes any difference, EVERYONE who has driven my car at an AutoCross, a Track Day, or on the street has commented on the car's "great brakes" and positive feeling brake pedal.

Happy braking,

Matt
do the stainless steal brake lines make a big diff?
Old 06-01-2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by 97GLES
do the stainless steal brake lines make a big diff?
The SS lines make a huge difference in pedal effort and modulation, especially when hot. No brake upgrade is complete without them.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

The SS lines make a huge difference in pedal effort and modulation, especially when hot. No brake upgrade is complete without them.
thanks for the quick reply. whats the price on them? and how many do i need? front, rear or both.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by SleeperSE

Happy braking,

Matt
I have a few Q's...
I did a little research on them, and from what I understand they cause NO dust, dont squeak and brake really well.
Are they like this on your max?
How many miles should they last?
Have they ever locked up on you?
Do you think they will work fine with just the stock rotors?
Also, where did you order them from?
These sound good to me and I may buy them. Sorry for all the questions I just need to make sure im making a good choice.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Brake Upgrades

It sounds like you are on the wear indicators if the screech is constant.
is the wear indicator on all models? i.e. will I start hearing squeeling when my brakes begin to go? too lazy to drive to a mechanic to check...

thanks
Old 06-02-2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by 97GLES
thanks for the quick reply. whats the price on them? and how many do i need? front, rear or both.
They are around $100 for a complete set. You can get them through Stillen or http://www.eatricezone.com You should do all four corners, if not, the different expansion of the rubber lines in back will cause a delayed reaction for the line pressure starts to apply the brakes, which causes a controllabilty issue.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:28 AM

I have a few Q's...
I did a little research on them, and from what I understand they cause NO dust, dont squeak and brake really well.
Are they like this on your max?
How many miles should they last?
Have they ever locked up on you?
Do you think they will work fine with just the stock rotors?
Also, where did you order them from?
These sound good to me and I may buy them. Sorry for all the questions I just need to make sure im making a good choice.
They will dust, it's just a lighter color and not as bad as stock. They stop yu extremely well when warm, okay when cold. One medium stop will get them warm.

The Porterfield's I have on the rear have seen 8 track days, numerous autocrosses and 20K of street driving. They still have half their life left. I can't help you on the fronts because I chewed through them faster than is normal because of my driving conditions.

They will lock up easy if you really stomp then when they are cold. If you lock them when they are warm, you are doing something wrong. The weak link in the braking system when things are warmed up are the tires.

Order them directly from Porterfield and mention you are from the org.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Upgrades

Originally posted by Roman-dude

is the wear indicator on all models? i.e. will I start hearing squeeling when my brakes begin to go? too lazy to drive to a mechanic to check...

thanks
Most of the Nissan's I have seen have the wear indicators on the stock setup. If your brakes have ever been changed before, they may not have them. It's very easy to check the pad material that's left and will take a total of five minutes the next time your car is in for service for a competent mechanic to take a peek.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:20 PM

They are around $100 for a complete set. You can get them through Stillen or http://www.eatricezone.com You should do all four corners, if not, the different expansion of the rubber lines in back will cause a delayed reaction for the line pressure starts to apply the brakes, which causes a controllabilty issue.
The Goodridge and other brands come in sets so this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:49 PM

Ok, I ordered the pads the should be here Tuesday. Customer service sucks at Porterfield though. Maximadriver.com had the discount so I got them for 20% off. How hard are brakes to put on? I am considering putting them on myself. Anyone have an experience?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:00 PM

Ok, I ordered the pads the should be here Tuesday. Customer service sucks at Porterfield though. Maximadriver.com had the discount so I got them for 20% off. How hard are brakes to put on? I am considering putting them on myself. Anyone have an experience?
Very easy to put on. I think there have been several posts recently on how to do it. A search should help you find them.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:00 PM

well, can someone hook me up with a link to it.. a how2? I searched forever with no luck.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:39 AM

goto www.motorvate.ca and click on brakes there are three parts
Old 06-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by gsleve
goto www.motorvate.ca and click on brakes there are three parts
ahh, sweet, thank you very much