4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I JUST GOT BEAT and i don't care......anymore

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

I JUST GOT BEAT and i don't care......anymore

some of u that come in here may think i just lost in a race but that is not the case....

most of you know about my search for parts for 5 speed conversion and although i've tried to look for the best prices, the amount of time searching and the wait for parts has exhausted me and i finally GAVE UP!

No i did not give up the conversion but i gave up looking for the best prices....well for the transmission that is....

TODAY, i go to junkyard in my area that had a whole nissan maxima 97 green that got rear ended, everything else perfect and bought all parts needed for conversion except clutch, axles, and cylinders....

STats on the car:

51,000 miles
NON LOCKING differential
30 day warranty

1200 after tax....i could have found this a lot cheaper in other places but the time to wait for it and searching for smaller parts made me give up....with this purchase, i'll have everything i need for conversion including the smallest bolts and stuffs and all i have to do now is wait for parts i bought brand new and used....

355 for ACT clutch (waiting)
140 for front axles w/abs used (53,000 miles on car)
150 approximately for cylinders and other parts bought new
400 for labor

all this is going to run me roughly 2300 after buying trans fluid and other small parts that will complete the conversion...

NOT THE BEST price but i'm ok with that....i also have a trans with 47,000 miles non locking which i'm selling...someone already buying for 925 shipped (comes with flywheel, shifting rods, shifter and all pedals)...selling for a little less than what i paid for (850 shipped and shipping is going to be roughly 100 dollars)....if anyone interested in that, let me know....

i thank all of you for making this searching a little easier and bearing with my thousand and one posts about this....i will probably be the first 95 GLE to be converted so wish me luck...D-DAY is between june 15th and june 25th...perfect birthday present...JUNE 30!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Are you sure you couldn't have sold your car and bought a 5-sp maxima w/ the $2500 difference - the huge hassle?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:10 PM

Old 06-04-2002, 01:14 PM
I'm so hood

400 for labor
Aww, I thought 90% of the fun of doing a 5-speed conversion was doing it yourself and experiencing the guts of the beast. Are you gonna watch/help at all?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Are you sure you couldn't have sold your car and bought a 5-sp maxima w/ the $2500 difference - the huge hassle?
]

i agree

i've heard talks about loosing roughly 600-800$ after all is said and done and your stock parts are sold. That would be fine, but double that might be worth selling and buying again...

anyways, congrats.. good luck with the conversion
Old 06-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did the same thing when I replaced my tranny. The search was taking too long, too much legwork. In the end I found a decent source all in one place and decided to go for it. If I had a beater car I could have waited, but it's my only car.

I would recommend that you replace the bearings on that used tranny since it is off of the car. You don't know how long the original ones in there will last, and they are notorious in our 5 speeds. The bearing kit costs like $50, so it's cheap insurance.

Also, whe you mount the tranny and fill up with fluid, make sure the tranny fluid is GL4, not GL5. Redline MT-90 is GL-4.

DW
Old 06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

yea, i'm definitely gonna help...and watch...i'll be there through the whole 2 days it takes to do it....but no way i can do it on my own or with someone else who never did it before so i found someone who did it on their car and that's who i'm paying so i can help HIM do it for me....shameful isn't it

oh and here's how i calculated so i know this is better than selling car

specs on my car:

110,000 miles
GLE auto
nice head unit, rsb, fstb, tint, fogs, spoilder
GOOD condition according to kbb.com.....
7105 if i'm lucky but doubt it and i lost money this way
(when selling a car might as well shave off 2 to 300 if u want someone to buy)

2300 extra in my pocket

that leaves me with 9,400

95 manual max with 80,000 miles goes for roughly 7,000 + taxes and other stuff u have to pay for to get title

and cost of repairing clutch if bad or going to be bad soon...actually goes close if not past 9400 and this car has 79000 miles compared to the trans i will be getting which will have 53000 miles...

AND we don't know what else may be wrong with this car (private bought) compared to my car where i know what's wrong and what is not wrong and i still have everything i worked hard for on this car, don't have to start from scratch....

so it kind of evens out if not worst to sell car and get new one....plus i plan on keeping this car forever so value means diddly to me....
Old 06-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

i forgot i should get an extra 200 to 500 back when selling the original parts of my car (axles, transmission, etc.) so it isn't THAT bad anymore....

i never thought of fixing bearings right away....car is warrantied for 30 days...probably not long enough...well, with 53,000 miles, it should have a long way to go still....
Old 06-04-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm so hood

Cool man. Even if it costs some money it'll be a good job to help with. Though I would go ahead and heed DW's advice on the bearings - like he said, cheap insurance. Might as well tack on $50 more for a problem that occurs quite a bit with 4th-gen 5-speeds. Good luck - hopefully it all gets done for the b-day!

I wish my 95 manual max with 80,000 miles only costed $7,000!
Bought it at the end of July last year for $10,750 (dealership). A little steep, but every factory option, good condition, 1-owner old guy that owned it previously, all records, etc...not to mention I got $4850 for my 91 integra LS 5-speed with 115k on it... Plus after looking for months it was the second 5-speed SE I'd seen here. I'd been ragging on the dealerships so much that they actually contacted me about it before they even got the car
Old 06-04-2002, 03:47 PM

Blizz (and others who find this relevant) -

How did you find out who the previous owner of your car was? Did you just ask the dealer and take their word for it?

I only ask because it seems like everyone who posts about buying a 5 speed Max says that their car was owned by an "old lady" or "old man." Now, I find it somewhat hard to believe that 50-60 year olds that have $25k to spend on a car are going to get a manual tranny. I mean, if they are poor, I can understand getting a manual tranny. If they like fast cars though, wouldn't older types get a 450 classic chevy or something? I find it difficult to believe that older people would buy a manual Maxima (Japanese car). I find it more likely to believe that people selling used Maximas know that saying their car was owned by an old person lends people a feeling of safety.

Note: My Maxima was owned by a 21 year old, so I'm sure it was driven somewhat. But, I saw the receipts showing oil changes (with AGIP racing oil) every 2-2.5k miles, so I went with it.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:21 PM
FJC

Originally posted by triax37
Blizz (and others who find this relevant) -

But, I saw the receipts showing oil changes (with AGIP racing oil) every 2-2.5k miles, so I went with it.
I used AGIP in my bike... Good oil...
Old 06-05-2002, 07:19 AM
I'm so hood

Triax - Yea, I asked the dealership, and normally I wouldn't just take that as word, but I had a couple questions that the saleswoman couldn't answer and she said "Well, do you want to give <old guy's name> a call and ask him? I'm sure he'd know."

The phone number was dialed right off one of the old shop receipts, so unless they went to real crafty, drastic lengths to fool their customers, I think I'm safe. He definitely sounded like an older guy...I guess he's always been a Datsun/Nissan fan and this was his "fun car".

What sucks is of the scratches/minor paint anomolies, they're like, all on the passenger side, so you can tell that was the "bad side" of the garage, and the old lady just didn't have the strength to hold the door when it opened. Not to mention the guy left those rubber shipping guards on the doors forever, and there's a nice rut on the front passenger door on the far edge. So when you see people keeping those rubber things on their car, tell them to take 'em off.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Triax - Yea, I asked the dealership, and normally I wouldn't just take that as word, but I had a couple questions that the saleswoman couldn't answer and she said "Well, do you want to give <old guy's name> a call and ask him? I'm sure he'd know."

The phone number was dialed right off one of the old shop receipts, so unless they went to real crafty, drastic lengths to fool their customers, I think I'm safe. He definitely sounded like an older guy...I guess he's always been a Datsun/Nissan fan and this was his "fun car".

What sucks is of the scratches/minor paint anomolies, they're like, all on the passenger side, so you can tell that was the "bad side" of the garage, and the old lady just didn't have the strength to hold the door when it opened. Not to mention the guy left those rubber shipping guards on the doors forever, and there's a nice rut on the front passenger door on the far edge. So when you see people keeping those rubber things on their car, tell them to take 'em off.
Blizz - thanks for the info. Just curious. Also, I hope people find out about past owners of the car, as you did. DON'T just take the dealer's word for it....they aren't geniuses or anything, but they know how to sell cars.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
i forgot i should get an extra 200 to 500 back when selling the original parts of my car (axles, transmission, etc.) so it isn't THAT bad anymore....

i never thought of fixing bearings right away....car is warrantied for 30 days...probably not long enough...well, with 53,000 miles, it should have a long way to go still....
Did you already order your ACT clutch, if not PM me and Ill hook you up...