4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SE without white gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK everyone, here is an update...

I went to the dealership today, because they had finally got all of their paperwork together. They wanted to put me into what the used car manager called a "1999 1/2" Maxima, which cost $5,000 more than what I paid for the salvaged max. Of course I could not afford that... and they did not have any other Maximas that I liked. I told him if they were going to replace it, they were going to replace it with a 1998 black SE, just like what they SAID they sold me - and I was not going to pay any extra for it.

So they gave me my money back. The check is in processing and I should receive it in the mail some time soon (who knows what their definition of "soon" is...)

I'm kind of sad that I am back to driving my Altima instead of a Maxima... the Altima is quick, but it is nothing compared to the Maxima.

So, now I have to go back to the car search again. Of course I'll be buying a Maxima, but it is going to take me a while to find what I want, because I'm picky. I want a 1998 black SE (I could go for either 5 speed or auto... 5 speed is better because it's faster, but auto is good too because I'll be doing a lot of commuting through all these major construction projects here in Denver, and an auto makes that easier).

Has anybody bought a car on eBay? Anyone have any ideas about whether it's safe or not? I don't want to get screwed again, but the prices on eBay are pretty good.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:53 PM

MY opinion...dont buy on ebay, people get screwed that way....
Old 06-12-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by swcello
OK everyone, here is an update...

I went to the dealership today, because they had finally got all of their paperwork together. They wanted to put me into what the used car manager called a "1999 1/2" Maxima, which cost $5,000 more than what I paid for the salvaged max. Of course I could not afford that... and they did not have any other Maximas that I liked. I told him if they were going to replace it, they were going to replace it with a 1998 black SE, just like what they SAID they sold me - and I was not going to pay any extra for it.

So they gave me my money back. The check is in processing and I should receive it in the mail some time soon (who knows what their definition of "soon" is...)

I'm kind of sad that I am back to driving my Altima instead of a Maxima... the Altima is quick, but it is nothing compared to the Maxima.

So, now I have to go back to the car search again. Of course I'll be buying a Maxima, but it is going to take me a while to find what I want, because I'm picky. I want a 1998 black SE (I could go for either 5 speed or manual... 5 speed is better because it's faster, but manual is good too because I'll be doing a lot of commuting through all these major construction projects here in Denver, and an auto makes that easier).

Has anybody bought a car on eBay? Anyone have any ideas about whether it's safe or not? I don't want to get screwed again, but the prices on eBay are pretty good.
5spd and manual is the same ain't it?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:16 PM

lol ya i was confused for a minute
Old 06-12-2002, 08:56 PM

ha ha... I don't know what I was doing... not thinking, I guess. I changed it to say auto, because that's what I meant.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:06 PM
starcruzer

Originally posted by swcello
...So they gave me my money back. The check is in processing and I should receive it in the mail some time soon (who knows what their definition of "soon" is...)

Wow reading this thread was like reading a good book... A bad guy (the dealer) A good guy (the .org) and a happy ending where justice prevails!

Old 06-13-2002, 02:29 AM

First off get a 5spd, they are about a 1/2 second faster 0-60. Second, DO NOT buy a car from E-bay unless you know the person selling it! I would never buy a used car without knowing the common problems and having me our a mechanic I know and trust looking at the car first(depending on the milage, I bought my '97 with only 28k and I was confident with the quality of the car). But also check service records through an agency like carfax(they should have everyting by vin #). DO NOT BUT A CAR ONLINE! Third, my car is superblack, eventhough it looks badass it is hard to keep it looking nice(the paint is really soft on these cars and are easily scratched) I will never own a dark car again I would go with something lighter. Finally, take your time and wait for what you want(even if it means driving your current car for awhile at least it gets you to where you want to go) living in a metropolitan area you shouldn't have much problem finding what you want( at the time I was buying mine there were many 5spds to choose from but mune had much more low milage than everything else). Good luck man!
Old 06-13-2002, 05:29 AM

score 1 for the .orgers.....I like the way the ending turned out, goodluck in finding another max, and thanks for not taking the crap experience to heart and continuing you search for a maxima.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by KINGMAX
First off get a 5spd, they are about a 1/2 second faster 0-60. Second, DO NOT buy a car from E-bay unless you know the person selling it! I would never buy a used car without knowing the common problems and having me our a mechanic I know and trust looking at the car first(depending on the milage, I bought my '97 with only 28k and I was confident with the quality of the car). But also check service records through an agency like carfax(they should have everyting by vin #). DO NOT BUT A CAR ONLINE! Third, my car is superblack, eventhough it looks badass it is hard to keep it looking nice(the paint is really soft on these cars and are easily scratched) I will never own a dark car again I would go with something lighter. Finally, take your time and wait for what you want(even if it means driving your current car for awhile at least it gets you to where you want to go) living in a metropolitan area you shouldn't have much problem finding what you want( at the time I was buying mine there were many 5spds to choose from but mune had much more low milage than everything else). Good luck man!

Is that all the difference in speed is? I've read so many different things on this message board. If that's all the difference is in the speed, I would probably end up going with the auto.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by rguida
score 1 for the .orgers.....I like the way the ending turned out, goodluck in finding another max, and thanks for not taking the crap experience to heart and continuing you search for a maxima.

Yea... the Maxima is what I've wanted for years now. So I'm not gonna give up that easy. Plus, Nissan is the only way to go. That's all my family owns. My old Altima, My dad's Altima, and my mom's Xterra. (and soon I'll have my Maxima again). We're Nissan junkies
Old 06-13-2002, 08:55 AM

Try www.autotrader.com

There's a whole bunch of used Maximas. Although, most of them are automatics. If you're patient enough, you should be able to find a 5spd. I found a number of 5spd around my area when I was searching, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:12 AM
starcruzer

Originally posted by Cumalot
Try www.autotrader.com

There's a whole bunch of used Maximas. Although, most of them are automatics. If you're patient enough, you should be able to find a 5spd. I found a number of 5spd around my area when I was searching, so it shouldn't be too hard.
I agree, patience is the key. It took me more than two months to find the Maxima I was looking for, but in the end I found exactly what I was looking for. Knowing that I will be driving this car for a few years to come, It's nice not having any regrets knowing I did not compromise out of frustration and not wanting to wait (and I almost did by the end).

PS I found my Max at www.autotrader.com

Old 06-13-2002, 10:01 AM

There's nothing wrong with buying a car from Ebay if:

a) You run the carfax
b) The person is close enough and let's you view the car, test drive it and shows you all maintenance paperwork to your satisfaction.

You might have an advantage (sometimes) on price with Ebay but I would not recommend buying a car UNLESS you (or someone you trust) can check the car out in person.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:21 AM

FINAL CHAPTER :-)

WELL, here is the final chapter of the story... It's a long story, so I'll make it quick...

After I returned that car, they told me they'd give me my money back. But then they told me about this HUGE car sale they were having at our football stadium (the new Denver Broncos Stadium - Invesco Field at Mile High). There was going to be 1500+ cars there. I decided that before they give me my money back, I wanted to take a look at the car sale and see if I foud any Maximas there.

Well, I found this green 1997 SE with 98,000 miles on it, so the price was marked down to about $9,000. It had leather seats (tan, which I'm not too fond of), climate control, power passenger seat, the works. I ended up purchasing it.

Well on the way home the climate control stopped working - it started to just black out. Also the back speakers were not working, and the front ones sounded like they were under water. I hadn't tested the speakers on the test drive, and when I tested them at the stadium, the car was in a tunnel, and it was only being tested with the radio, so they told me it was just because we were getting bad reception. So I returned that hunk of junk the very same day (Auto Nation USA has a 3 day money back guarantee).

When I returned it they mentioned my other max... the first one I bought. They did a title investigation (which they showed to me), and the salvage title was put on the car because someone's house cought on fire and the car was not driven out of the garage soon enough, and received smoke damage. Basically the engine had to be detailed and cleaned, serviced, and inspected. Unfortunatly, though, it got branded with the salvage title

SO, I bought it back from them, and they gave me $3500 off of the price.

Now there is still the part about them originally misrepresenting it as an SE, but I am sick of dealing with them and I'm not gonna care about it anymore. I can't find any other Maximas I like in any radius even close to me, and I don't feel comfortable buying on eBay, and I do like my Max, so I'm just gonna let it be I guess.