4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternative to lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 07:55 AM
pmg

Would their be an affordable way to have wheel well inserts manufactured that would reduce the wheel gap? Wouldn't everyone w/o springs want them? They could attach like bodykit pieces right? Would it look stupid? I've got Maxspeed springs in my garage but I'm not sure I want to install them and sacrifice the smooth ride (Michigan roads are bad)...
- Jeremy
Old 06-06-2002, 08:01 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

But springs serve more than an appereance function. Many people, including myself, like their springs just as much for the handling improvement that they provide as the dropped appereance.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:44 AM
pmg

Originally posted by ejj5875
But springs serve more than an appereance function. Many people, including myself, like their springs just as much for the handling improvement that they provide as the dropped appereance.
Yes, but there's just as many people that won't lower their car becuase of the ride quality sacrifice (I still may lower mine though). If someone made pieces that fit and looked good, I think lots of people would pay $300 for a significantly reduced wheel gap.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:51 AM

I too want to get rid of wheel gap someday...someday when my car isn't my daily driver, if I don't sell it. I want 18" wheels. I will never lower my car.

I would like to get rid of a little body roll. I was thinking of getting a FSTB.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by thrustinj
I too want to get rid of wheel gap someday...someday when my car isn't my daily driver, if I don't sell it. I want 18" wheels. I will never lower my car.

I would like to get rid of a little body roll. I was thinking of getting a FSTB.
My car is a daily driver and I LOVE driving aorund with my 2" drop and 18" Rims.

It's not nearly as bad as people think, and there's this one curve on the way to work that's just yummy!

IanS
Old 06-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Ginuwin3112

............fill trunk up with cement..

Old 06-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Alternative to lowering springs?

Originally posted by pmg
Would it look stupid?
- Jeremy
Yes, it would look stupid.

See if you can get someone to photochop a pic of your car as a test.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pmg
Would their be an affordable way to have wheel well inserts manufactured that would reduce the wheel gap? Wouldn't everyone w/o springs want them? They could attach like bodykit pieces right? Would it look stupid? I've got Maxspeed springs in my garage but I'm not sure I want to install them and sacrifice the smooth ride (Michigan roads are bad)...
- Jeremy
We had them in the 50's they were called fender skirts. Now that I think about it, they did look ugly.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:28 AM
rmb

Originally posted by pmg
- Jeremy

It would look stupid unless you actually had someone very skilled weld and build out the sheetmetal around the wells, which would be waaaaayyyyy too expensive.

Just install the springs. I live it CT, pothole hell, and my AGX/H&R's are absolutely fine and much much better than my stock SE springs even on rough, dirt roads.

-RMB
Old 06-06-2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by pmg
- Jeremy

thanks for reminding me how bad the roads are, i used to live there and will be back in flint starting first week of july to attending kettering university, what part of mich u in?
Old 06-06-2002, 12:15 PM

how about new fenders. fenders that replaced the OEM one but covered more area.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:20 PM
mb1

Originally posted by pmg
- Jeremy
Install your springs!!! Maxspeeds ride almost as good as stock.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:34 PM
pmg

Re: Re: Alternative to lowering springs?

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
thanks for reminding me how bad the roads are, i used to live there and will be back in flint starting first week of july to attending kettering university, what part of mich u in?
I'm in Auburn Hills - North of Detroit about 25 miles
Old 06-06-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alternative to lowering springs?

Originally posted by pmg

I'm in Auburn Hills - North of Detroit about 25 miles
thats cool, i used to live in grosse point(right next to detroit) if u know where that is, then i moved to pittsburgh, then im goin back to flint to attend that school, we'll have to meet up sometime or sompin... just wonderin, u know what tint laws are there? cuz im gettin it tinted, but not too dark in a week or two
Old 06-06-2002, 04:27 PM

Get some H&Rs and some AGXs, your ride will be tight as hell, but close to stock with the right setting.