4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do zinc plated coat really make a difference in having less rust on rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 07:05 PM

Do zinc plated coat really make a difference in having less rust on rotors??

I just want to know if you had drilled/slotted rotors with and without zinc coat on them......would it make a big difference in rusting if you had zinc...is it worth to pay the extra $80 to get them in zinc??

Also...is it a good deal to get the bremo drilled/slotted w/ zinc for $300 shipped??? (i know gd ended already)

do they retail alot more, are they a good brand?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Conecarver

I've got cad-plated slotted and so far so good. Light rust on the rotor surface but gets swept away at first braking. Center areas and edges look near new after 2Kmi

I do have some chemical reaction (white) with my plastic hubcentric rings though. Don't know if the new rotors are the cause though.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My slotted rotors are cad plated and don't rust either. The pad area rusts lightly, but that is taken care if quickly. You may be able to beat the Brembo price by talking to Brian at Fastbrakes.com. I got my cad plated, slotted rotors on special for $250 last summer and I've put over 18k on them.
-hype
Old 06-10-2002, 09:33 PM
rmb

Re: Do zinc plated coat really make a difference in having less rust on rotors??

Originally posted by itsgt
I just want to know if you had drilled/slotted rotors with and without zinc coat on them......would it make a big difference in rusting if you had zinc...is it worth to pay the extra $80 to get them in zinc??

Also...is it a good deal to get the bremo drilled/slotted w/ zinc for $300 shipped??? (i know gd ended already)

do they retail alot more, are they a good brand?

thanks in advance.
Zinc would wear off really fast and maybe screw up your pads too. I'm surprised even the cad plating lasts very long. I don't think it'
s gonna matter. Rotors are cast iron. Coatings wear off. Cast iron rusts... Not much you can do about it.

-RMB
Old 06-10-2002, 09:40 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I have non-plated drilled/slotted rotors and no rust, and I live in WA, ya know, the state where it ALWAYS rains!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've found out there is a large difference between rotors. Some rust, some don't. I got my rotors replaced by a local mechanic, but he never told us the brand he ordered. They rust like heck. AFter a carwash, you can see the orangy water stains that are on the pad surface of teh rotor, and the hub gets rusty too.

I got a new 96 Max, original rotors, and they don't have any of that kind of rusting, esp. the center hub that connects to the wheel.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:11 PM

What is Cad? Is that cadnium? Most rotors are going to rust when water hits them( not zinc) I have stock rotors, and of course they rust when water hits them but that is alleviated with one short braking. Why would you guys want to go with drilled rotors anyway? The factory brakes work fine for me. Do you plan on doing autocross? (Oneday if I have enough money I am going to do this one day 'cause it looks fun as hell)!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:45 PM

In CA, the rust comes from the salty ocean air that settles as dew on my rotors, so I get a little rust. So what I opted to do is spray EVERYWHERE on the rotor with Hi-Temp paint except the areas were the brakes pads contact the rotor disc, been working great for the last eight months.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by avalon42
In CA, the rust comes from the salty ocean air that settles as dew on my rotors, so I get a little rust. So what I opted to do is spray EVERYWHERE on the rotor with Hi-Temp paint except the areas were the brakes pads contact the rotor disc, been working great for the last eight months.
I was thinking about that too....but how did you mask off the brake contact zones?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Zinc/Cad plating is really for the parts that don't meet the pad material... The plating will scrub off the sweep area when you first use it, but that's normal. The remaining portions will resist rusting... They should only charge you an extra $10-$15 for each rotor.