4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help with VB Mod instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help with VB Mod instructions

I'm removing my VB to send to Don right now.

In the instructions,step 3, it says to find a harness on the top of the tranny in the front of the engine.

I see no such thing...we've been looking for over half an hour.

SOmeone told me to turn the FIGURE 1 picture so it was on the right to line up it's position on the car....no dice....still don't see it.

Is it near the engine mount, radiator fans, or further in on the passenger side of the fuel lines?

Thanks!
IanS
Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

That was me, Ian...
Ok, when you look at your tranny from the engine bay you should see that harness wire sticking up like in the pic but turned sideways. I don't quite remember but if you look at the pic for Step 5 the harness should be located near the bottom left hand corner when you're underneath the car.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:49 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

My posting from Aug.11,2001:

It was a bit tough at the beginning. Figure 1 showed where to pull off the hold down clip unfortunately the picture was sideways and I couldn't find it. So many darn screws to take off that holds down the tranny pan. Drained the oil first...good thing I picked up a 15 litre oil catcher...now I can go to Mohawk and dump the oil easier. Once I exposed the VB I can see where all of those 13 bolts are. I carefully removed each set and kept each set on a piece of photocopy paper which had the VB diagram. I just circled the bolt size and/or placed the bolts around the pic and drew arrows to their respective locations. Once I ws half way in removing the bolts the VB started to tip and drain some more tranny oil. I heard the spring move and put that to memory where it belonged before I dropped the VB.

Once the last bolt came off I had a cardboard box serve as a support as it was still connected to the wiring harness. It was at this point that I found where the hold down clip was. I peeled back the splash guard on the front driver's side wheelwell and saw it. Pulled it off and the harness was able to drop a couple of inches more. Unfortunately I couldn't reach down to disconnect the harness as the supercharger piping was in the way. Therefore I had to improvise and switch VBs at the same time. I disconnected the 4 main solenoids first and then attached it to the new VB. I used the brake cleaner to clean off the dirt buildup around the solenoids and everything else as I went along. Then I switched the last single solenoid. Whew! That was the toughest part.

By this time it was already dark and I had a halogen work light. Accidentally touched that light with my forearm and slightly burned myself. The next hardest part for me was putting the VB back into the tranny. That piece of metal was quite heavy and my forearms were getting tired holding that up into position. Trying to put the spring back in and realigning the manual shift piece was a b*tch. Once I was satisfied with the positioning I started to put the bolts back in carefully. After putting the 13 bolts back in and torquing each one I started to pick up the pile of used paper towels off the floor. I grabbed the plastic garbage bag that the VB was wrapped in and to my horror found a small shiny metal piece like the size of a Tylenol tablet!!!
SH**T!! Where did that come from and which hole!??? I don't recall seeing this loose piece in my VB when I took it out. IIt must have popped out when I lifted the VB out of the bag.

At this point I had to decide...leave the job as it is or go ahead and take a chance. Well my car was sticking half way out into the lane as it was the best position for me to get under the car. I couldn't leave it like that so I just continued to finish the project and buttoned up the tranny pan. Ugh..again so many screws!
Filled it up with Quaker State ATF (couldn't find any Mobil 1 ATF at Canadian Tire!)

I turned on the engine and saw the O/D light flicker a few times before it stayed off. Gingerly I put it into reverse. Still on my jackstands I released the brake and the wheels started to spin....good sign! Applied the brake and started to test Drive, 2 and 1. All were good!

Lowered the car and did the around the block test...Again it was running properly! I noticed right off how the shifter felt more tighter and precise....just like when the shop tightens up your 5 speed stick after maintenance. I didn't feel the tranny jerk as some members have mentioned last night but this morning I could feel the 1-2 shift a little moreso than before.

I'm still treating this tranny very carefully until someone responds to my post in the 4th gen form about that piece. I don't want to stomp on the gas and the tranny disintegrates!
I hate to pull apart my work but better safe than sorry!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:33 PM

Does anyone have Don's address?!?!?

It's not on his site anymore!

IanS
Old 06-12-2002, 01:45 PM

It can be hard to find, but you should be able to find the harness toward the front driver side. It took me a second to find it too. You have to follow the connector up and it is near the starter on the right hand side of the engine. It is like the only place where you will see wires coming out of the side of the tranny.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:49 PM

Yes, i found it...there was no way to get to it from on top of the car, and I had to reach up from the bottom.

It's out.

I just REALLY need Don's address.

IanS