4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RSTB install complications; the bar is too long

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RSTB install complications; the bar is too long

Tonight I went out to install my Courtesy RSTB and found out it doesn't exactly want to fit. Even with the C arms as close together as possible the bar wouldn't fit onto both rear strut towers. I cut one of the bolts down and it's still a little too long to fit so I'm going to cut the bolt on the other side down a little. As far as I know the RSTB is universal, but I was wondering if anyone else had to do any modifications to get it to fit.
It's always something.....
-hype
Old 06-13-2002, 12:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello:

I had exactly the same problem with my courtesy rear strut tower brace.

My front brace fit just fine.
For the rear brace, I had to cut down the bolts. It wasn't very fun either. And in the end after all that labor, the effect of the rear strut tower bar is almost nothing. But the front strut tower bar made a big positive difference.

I noticed on mine, the bar was labeled as an 89-99 Maxima. I know the 89 to 94 maximas are the previous generation. Maybe they think the 3rd generation bar fits the 4th gen.

What is most likely is that the tower clamps (red color pieces) that bolt to the rear strut towers are not properly drilled for the attachment bolts which thread into the bar itself. The thru-hole location on the tower clamps has probably been done wrong.
I didn't call Courtesy Nissan back to tell them about it yet.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:13 AM

Well at least I know it's not just me I don't mind modifying things to get them to fit, but I wasn't expecting to have problems in the first place (although almost every project has at least one problem). I'll let Courtesy know so that they can clear things up.

Just to wonder what year is your car? My car is a '99 so if any year is different it would be mine :P No one that I have seen has mentioned having to modify the bar, and Greg Prete and MaximaDriver.com even has a write ups without any mention of problems.
Besides I wasn't expecting too much from the bar, but I got a good deal on it and it's the last thing in my suspension list (FSTB, RSB, AGXs, B+Gs, ES Endlink Bushings, ES FSB Bushings, RSTB)
-hype
Old 06-13-2002, 05:16 AM

did you find out what the problem is with these bars.

'I think i got the wrong 'rear strut bar' because i couldn't fit it in the
back. i even measured the bar from left to right and it exceeds the size.

do i have to lift up the rear of the car to do this?

Originally posted by xHypex
Well at least I know it's not just me I don't mind modifying things to get them to fit, but I wasn't expecting to have problems in the first place (although almost every project has at least one problem). I'll let Courtesy know so that they can clear things up.

Just to wonder what year is your car? My car is a '99 so if any year is different it would be mine :P No one that I have seen has mentioned having to modify the bar, and Greg Prete and MaximaDriver.com even has a write ups without any mention of problems.
Besides I wasn't expecting too much from the bar, but I got a good deal on it and it's the last thing in my suspension list (FSTB, RSB, AGXs, B+Gs, ES Endlink Bushings, ES FSB Bushings, RSTB)
-hype
Old 06-13-2002, 07:08 AM

I too bought a RSTB from ebay a "TRUST" bar and it does not fit. I backed the bolts down all the way and still no go. It would seem that the bar itself it about a inch too long. I am returning it for a refund since ive put in the RSB and feel that a RSTB will have little to no effect after the install of a RSB.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:19 AM
rmb

Well, the RSB(across "trailing arms") does a completely different thing from the RSTB( across the rear strut towers).

That being said, the RSTB is useless in the Max and just takes up space. So send it back if you can. The rear part of the frame is already stiff enough. All of the metal behind the rear seats already performs that function. Cars with entire fold-down rear seats might benefit more....

The RSB makes a huge difference however and is well worth it....

-RMB
Old 06-13-2002, 08:24 AM

Xhypex, I don't think it is a good idea to cut the threads of the rodends shorter >>

Originally posted by xHypex
Tonight I went out to install my Courtesy RSTB and found out it doesn't exactly want to fit. Even with the C arms as close together as possible the bar wouldn't fit onto both rear strut towers. I cut one of the bolts down and it's still a little too long to fit so I'm going to cut the bolt on the other side down a little. As far as I know the RSTB is universal, but I was wondering if anyone else had to do any modifications to get it to fit.
It's always something.....
-hype
I think it would be better to actually shave material off each end of the bar if possible. On each end of the bar, are there nut welded on which the rodends thread into? Or is the bar simple tapped for the rodends?

I bought one of those really cheap ProCarParts FSTBs and I had to elongate the holes that the rodend bolts pass through. The only way to assure perfect fit on these things is to spend the $180 on the Stillen part.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:07 AM

Ok well now we know that one of the reasons no one has a RSTB is because it doesn't fit too well :P Albert on each end there is a bolt that threads into the bar with another bolt that threads into that bolt to hold the C arms onto the bar. I cut down the first set of bolts that threads into the bar because I needed it to be shorter across.
-hype
Old 06-13-2002, 09:44 AM

that's what i want to do.
the rear SWAY BAR; how do you like it.

BIG difference ?
how much did you pay for it? which brand?

thanks man,
maybe im lucky to get a refund back.

i paid $60 and it sucks, i think it's too big also.

many thanks,

Originally posted by webboy
I too bought a RSTB from ebay a "TRUST" bar and it does not fit. I backed the bolts down all the way and still no go. It would seem that the bar itself it about a inch too long. I am returning it for a refund since ive put in the RSB and feel that a RSTB will have little to no effect after the install of a RSB.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by jensyj
that's what i want to do.
the rear SWAY BAR; how do you like it.

BIG difference ?
how much did you pay for it? which brand?

thanks man,
maybe im lucky to get a refund back.

i paid $60 and it sucks, i think it's too big also.

many thanks,

I bought the Addco RSB threw the group deal that was going on a few weeks back. I can not say enough good things about a RSB. heres a thread about the bar :INSTALLED my RSB today...definitely see difference

Old 06-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought the same POS "Trust" bar too!

The bar was way too long. That eBay guy who sold me the Trust bar ignored my emails.

My solution was to cut down both ends of the bar and shorten the studs that insert into the bar. Luckily I had a generic RSTB from an integra lying around, so I modified that bar instead. It was about the same length as the "Trust" Maxima bar. I shortened 3/5in off both ends of the Integra's aluminum bar and shortened the studs about 1/3in with a dremel and cutting oil. I utilized the Maxima mounting brackets and it fit perfectly.

Btw, for anyone that plans to purchase that "Trust" bar, that **** is made in Taiwan, not Japan like that A-hole advertised.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:30 AM

Re: I bought the same POS "Trust" bar too!

this is the person who i bought it from ebay: DOHCCivicNA1250@aol.com
i paid $60 for this 'useless bar'.

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

The bar was way too long. That eBay guy who sold me the Trust bar ignored my emails.

My solution was to cut down both ends of the bar and shorten the studs that insert into the bar. Luckily I had a generic RSTB from an integra lying around, so I modified that bar instead. It was about the same length as the "Trust" Maxima bar. I shortened 3/5in off both ends of the Integra's aluminum bar and shortened the studs about 1/3in with a dremel and cutting oil. I utilized the Maxima mounting brackets and it fit perfectly.

Btw, for anyone that plans to purchase that "Trust" bar, that **** is made in Taiwan, not Japan like that A-hole advertised.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:47 AM

It's not useless, it's just not quite right I cut down the bolts in total about an inch and a quarter or so. I tried to take it evenly off each side, but it doesn't really matter. Also when you install the RSTB the RSTB needs to go over outermost bolt first or else it won't work. Place the C arm over the outer bolt then lean it in to go over the inner bolt. I haven't driven the car yet because I have to move my sub forward a little, but I'll post back when I drive it. I'm not expecting a huge difference, but I think it may help for launches because the rear struts are tied together more (my speculation). If it does nothing then I have a new bar in the back that set me back $45 It sounds like the fittment problems are with ALL generic RSTBs, but I'd rather cut bolts than pay $180 for Stillen's RSTB.
-hype
Old 06-13-2002, 04:23 PM

dang that was too close..i was just about to bid on that trust bar!! dayam....so the RSTB dont really do much???
Old 06-13-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: I bought the same POS "Trust" bar too!

this is the person who i bought it from ebay: DOHCCivicNA1250@aol.com
i paid $60 for this 'useless bar'.
Yes same guy.

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

Ive had no problems with this individual in fact ive email him and his response was to return it. I shipped it out today 2 day fed ex it should get to him monday. So we'll see how that goes.

There is a thread in th GD fourm where "HE" responds to this issue I believe its in reguards to Intakes he now sells. Im to lazy to search/post the thread. But he explains about a post owner/worker being a butt head.

On a different issue I have/had no interest in cutting down a strut bar that should fit perfectly in the first place.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: I bought the same POS "Trust" bar too!

CORRECTION !

this guy is a good seller. In fact HE got back to me on the issue
and was open for any solutions.

i gotta return it back.
instead i'm getting the REAR SWAY BAR.

i'll let you know how i love my new RSB.

later guys,

Yes same guy.

Ive had no problems with this individual in fact ive email him and his response was to return it. I shipped it out today 2 day fed ex it should get to him monday. So we'll see how that goes.

There is a thread in th GD fourm where "HE" responds to this issue I believe its in reguards to Intakes he now sells. Im to lazy to search/post the thread. But he explains about a post owner/worker being a butt head.

On a different issue I have/had no interest in cutting down a strut bar that should fit perfectly in the first place.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I bought the same POS "Trust" bar too!

CORRECTION !

this guy is a good seller. In fact HE got back to me on the issue
and was open for any solutions.
i gotta return it back.
instead i'm getting the REAR SWAY BAR.
i'll let you know how i love my new RSB.
later guys,
Today i reveived a check for the return of my RSTB in full. And if i can still remember my math, refund for the shipping costs both ways.

I would do business with this individual again. No problem.