4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A big rock hit my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 10:23 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

A big rock hit my windshield

OK I was driving downtown this morning, all is quiet, next thing I see is this asteroid-like rock hurling from what I thought was either the road or a bridge at my windshield at 70mph. Luckily the passenger side was hit (I know it could've been worse, but I know I was damn lucky today), although there is a 1/2 circle mark that now shows where this rock hit. Looks like I'll have to shell out a few hundred to replace the windshield, ARRRRRGH!!!!!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 PM

you think someone might have thrown it? jeez, good thing you werent hurt eh....
Old 06-13-2002, 10:46 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Well it would be hard to tell to pay att'n at some-1 throwing a rock from a bridge while going at least 70mph at the same time when focusing on the freeway itself instead of above, but you're right, thank god nothing happened to me although I'm ticked off that something like this happened, esp. to my max.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I heard there was a way to fix any small chips or cracks in the windshield, without shelling out hundreds of dollars to have it replaced. Is that true?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by speedemn
I heard there was a way to fix any small chips or cracks in the windshield, without shelling out hundreds of dollars to have it replaced. Is that true?
My mom had a rock chip fixed on her Maxima for like $50.00 by one of those glass repair people. The chip is still visible at certain angles and you really have to look for it but it beats dishing out some serious bills for a new windshield. Check your yellow pages.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Free Windshield!!!!

Drive around until you find a dump truck full of dirt or better yet ROCKS. Then just jot down the name of the company who owns it and give them a call as soon as you get home. Tell them one of their trucks, carring a load in front of you was spilling some debri on the road and your car was struck by a rock damaging your windshield.

They'll pay for your new windshield!

I'm going straight to hell for that one, but hey - it usually works!
Old 06-14-2002, 06:06 AM
pro

Re: Free Windshield!!!!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Drive around until you find a dump truck full of dirt or better yet ROCKS. Then just jot down the name of the company who owns it and give them a call as soon as you get home. Tell them one of their trucks, carring a load in front of you was spilling some debri on the road and your car was struck by a rock damaging your windshield.

I'm going straight to hell for that one, but hey - it usually works!
It works but the person driving the truck gets in sh*t load of trouble. Get behind a truck that is acutally spilling things, that makes it fair .
Good Luck,
Paul
Old 06-14-2002, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: Free Windshield!!!!

Originally posted by pro

It works but the person driving the truck gets in sh*t load of trouble. Get behind a truck that is acutally spilling things, that makes it fair .
Good Luck,
Paul
i mean if the truck driver is carrying loose materials like rocks..... you cant really blame the driver, it really isnt his fault for bumpy roads or whatever caused the rocks to fly out
Old 06-14-2002, 07:14 AM

This is exactly why i carry glass coverage on my insurance. New windshield every 3 years on every car ive ever owned. Total cost for new windshield on my max put in 2 months ago three dollars.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Free Windshield!!!!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Don't those trucks usually have signs warning you to keep back 50-100 feet in order to keep people from doing what you suggested?
Old 06-14-2002, 08:36 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Rocks from bridges...

Ever since viewing that driving safely video back in junior high, where the rock gets dropped onto a car from a bridge by some kids, and it shatters the glass into the man and wife's faces, I always keep an eye out on the bridge as I'm approaching it.

Last thing I want is to get sliced and diced. Just a quick glance as you're approaching.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: A big rock hit my windshield

Originally posted by Wht98SE
OK I was driving downtown this morning, all is quiet, next thing I see is this asteroid-like rock hurling from what I thought was either the road or a bridge at my windshield at 70mph. Luckily the passenger side was hit (I know it could've been worse, but I know I was damn lucky today), although there is a 1/2 circle mark that now shows where this rock hit. Looks like I'll have to shell out a few hundred to replace the windshield, ARRRRRGH!!!!!
I dont know what your deductible for comprehensive is (this is one of the reasons I dropped mine to $100), but aftermarket windshields run about $450....or you can call local salvage yards to see if they have the model years and color tint you require...but an installer won't warranty same.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:03 AM

That sort of happened to me once, except nothing got broken, plus the rock actually came from a trunk. I didn't do anything about it. Any ways, you may want to check your insurance, some times you have coverage for things like that and you don't really know it (depending on your companny).
Old 06-14-2002, 10:48 AM
pro

Originally posted by webboy
This is exactly why i carry glass coverage on my insurance. New windshield every 3 years on every car ive ever owned. Total cost for new windshield on my max put in 2 months ago three dollars.
How much does that cost on your plan? I need a new windshield because of these damn trucks so I could really use it.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-14-2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by pro

How much does that cost on your plan? I need a new windshield because of these damn trucks so I could really use it.
Thanks,
Paul
Here's another idea. Call your company, it should be like $5-10 a month on your plan, add it to your coverage, and wait a little while, then call them up and get it replaced -
Old 06-14-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: Rocks from bridges...

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Ever since viewing that driving safely video back in junior high, where the rock gets dropped onto a car from a bridge by some kids, and it shatters the glass into the man and wife's faces, I always keep an eye out on the bridge as I'm approaching it.

Last thing I want is to get sliced and diced. Just a quick glance as you're approaching.
Isn't windshield glass supposed to be shatter proof?
Old 06-16-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by myiqis180

Here's another idea. Call your company, it should be like $5-10 a month on your plan, add it to your coverage, and wait a little while, then call them up and get it replaced -
Not only is this fraud, its also unlikely that they will pay out as most insurers will come out and photograph a vehicle's current condition (or at the very least have you sign a questionaire as to current condition) when having such coverages added mid-policy.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

same thing happened to me. it really sucks.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:02 AM

Samething happend to me and after two months the small circle turned into a crack that cross my entire windshield. Good thing insurance takes care of that.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 AM
MAX

I've had a cracked windshield for a month or 2 now, also due to a rock, right in the middle of the passenger side. I've procrastinated on getting it fixed, but I'm growing tired of having to explain what happened to everyone who looks at my car.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:04 AM

I've tried calling the dump truck company but to no avail. They kept insisting that I was tailgating yada yada - Why would I tailgate I dump truck with lots of rocks in the bacK?

Anyway, so this is what my shop told me. They said that most windshield nicks and cracks are repairable with some sort of clear glue stuff, and that MOST insurance companies will fix that kind of damage without putting down a deductable because it is so common. Look into it.