4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!! Mayday,mayday!! I Think That I Broke The Little Screw In The Ecu!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 11:28 AM
REN

Help!! Mayday,mayday!! I Think That I Broke The Little Screw In The Ecu!!

Okay, now that I got someone's attention, I don't think that I broke the screw, I KNOW THAT I DID. You know where it says "make sure not to turn it anymore when it stops?" Well, um, I just wanted to make sure that it was snug, and I guess it just "went over" Now it turns all the way around. I can still do self tests because I can still feel where it's supposed to stop. (it's very slightly more stiff there) So, seriously guys, how much damage did I do? Can I fix this? Do I need to? Any feedback (be gentle please, I've already been called an idiot enough times today!) would be so greatly appreciated.

thanx again
Old 06-14-2002, 11:42 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Help!! Mayday,mayday!! I Think That I Broke The Little Screw In The Ecu!!

Originally posted by REN
Okay, now that I got someone's attention, I don't think that I broke the screw, I KNOW THAT I DID. You know where it says "make sure not to turn it anymore when it stops?" Well, um, I just wanted to make sure that it was snug, and I guess it just "went over" Now it turns all the way around. I can still do self tests because I can still feel where it's supposed to stop. (it's very slightly more stiff there) So, seriously guys, how much damage did I do? Can I fix this? Do I need to? Any feedback (be gentle please, I've already been called an idiot enough times today!) would be so greatly appreciated.

thanx again
I'm not sure about this but...

You probably broke the 'stops' ... It should be OK as long as you know where the stops used to be be.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you keep turning, does it stop at some point? Mine I had to turn around once and then it hit the stop. There were lines on mine where the screw is supposed to sit as well...it's a diagonal position.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:34 PM

lol, i dun this before. you can still feel the stoppers when you turn it so you can still reset the ECU if you want. no bigge.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Help!! Mayday,mayday!! I Think That I Broke The Little Screw In The Ecu!!

Originally posted by REN
Okay, now that I got someone's attention, I don't think that I broke the screw, I KNOW THAT I DID.
hahah, i'm sorry but that is funny
Old 06-14-2002, 01:40 PM

Hey man, don't feel so bad! I did the same thing, but took it one step further...I actually broke the screw off inside the ECU!

There are ways to fix it though. I took out the ECU, got the broken piece out, and then "engineered" my own solution. The switch has three wires that go into it. I soldered wire extensions onto the leads and connected them to a two position toggle switch. I then mounted it to the ECU. Now, when I need to diagnose a CEL, I just reach down and flip the switch back and forth. It actually works great, and beat having to spend money on a new ECU. (I checked with Courtesy, and they don't sell a replacement screw...)
Old 06-17-2002, 06:44 AM
REN

thanx guys, still feel like an idiot though. I guess I won't worry about it to much for now until my "service engine soon" light comes back on again. (Which should be anyday now!!!) (knock on wood!!!)