4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by puremax
look you little ****...go pull that bird out of your car and go run with richard simmons on a beach somewhere..."000h erik wong you're a pony!"

i second that notion
Old 07-04-2002, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
ummmmm, i think almost ALL the mags that have tested the 03' cobra are getting high 12s, sorry to rain on your parade. and about you beating your friends mustang, i believe it. i have to friend's with 95's (last year for 5.slow) both are 5spd, one has CAI and x-pipe. i am dead even with him. the other is stock and i usually beat hime by a car and a half to 2 cars by 100.

Hee hee. Buy a bike and smoke everybody!!!! Anything that's a late model 600 or better will run in the 10's Stock for about 1/5th the price. Plus, you can drag your knees in the corners!!!
Old 07-04-2002, 03:38 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Dave B
Eric:

Weight?

An F-body weighs 3300-3600lbs depending on model (base Z28 to the up level TA). The Corvette weighs 3200-3400lbs depending on model (Z06 to convertible auto). The 96+ Mustang weighs 3200-3500lbs depeding on model (Cobra to GT). The 4th gen Maxima........2900-3100lbs.

Handling?

My Maxima EASILY outhandles my 94 Z28 which BTW, also had a solid axle in the back too. The Mustang GT and many VWs also have these solid axles if you didn't know. Have you ever driven a Mustang, especially the older 5.0s? They handle like a wet porkchop. They stick well, but the everything else is horrible. They lack feel, have **** poor brakes, and the suspension is awful. I see you listed Mercedes as a "good handling car". Nearly all the Benz's sold are shod with crap tires and soft suspensions. I wouldn't call a 2-ton Benz a "handler". Nor would I call the new W8 Passat a handler. The W8 has been critisized for being very nose heavy and exhibits severe understeer.

Acceleration? My 4th gen Maxima with simple bolt ons is damn close to being as quick as my 94 Z28 was with a catback. The only thing holding my Maxima back is off the line traction. My Z28 with a catback went 99mph where as my Maxima is going nearly 98mph. A car that's running deep into the 90mph range is fast. There's not many cars out there that run over 90mph in the 1/4 mile and the ones that do are typically very expensive and/or built for the sole purpose of speed. I'm proud on my little Nissan. I get to go fast in a pretty luxurious car for very little money. I couldn't be happier.

Lay down the crack pipe Did you really think you could extract 400hp from a NA DOHC 3.0 V6? It's costs money to go fast and clearly you have any money so obviously you wouldn't have been able to make this sedan go fast anyways. Right? It takes BMW 5.0 liters to get 400hp NA, why you think you can get 400hp NA with your 3.0? Sure, there are plenty of fast Honda's running around, but they break down just like any other car that wasn't designed for super high power outputs which brings us back to the money thing. It takes money to go fast and money isn't something you have therefore maybe you should lay off on trying to have a fast car. Corvettes, BMWs, and even Supra TTs break down too as I saw at a Solo II event last weekend.

If you really wanted to go fast for cheap in the Maxima the answer is quite simple. NOS and slicks. That's EASY and DEEP 13s for about $1000. It's not brain surgery. Low 13s puts you in the ranks of the infamous LS1, the quickest BMWs, any Benz, nearly every Stang, etc. When buying the Maxima, most of us understood that a Maxima is not a drag car and making a 11-second sedan is quite stupid and rediculous.

Dave
Once again another very well written post by Dave B. proving how wrong Eric D. Wong is. I can attest to the Camaro statement as well...one friend has a '96 Camaro V6 5spd that handles like poop, and another w/the '99 SS, which I would also probubly outhandle on an auto-cross. Both have driven my Max and tell me how great it handles and how it would take them on an auto-x.

Couldn't have said any of it better Dave!
Old 07-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

dammint guess i gotta read the whole thread. lot better bicthing than i thought. be back in a second.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS

Dave, care to take a crack at this one?

I never made any claims as to how my car can beat your car etc, yet you still feel it necessary to talk up about how all those import 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders can and do regularly beat V8 domestics. Why is that? It is this kind of ignorance that troubles me.... I have been beaten by an import once or twice, once it was a talon with upped boost, controller, etc, and other it was by an RX-7 also with upped boost etc. those were both very clean cars, and it didnt trouble me to be beaten by them. Anything can be made fast, there's even a dodge neon in the 9s But assuming we must compare factory to factory cars, yes, american cars are heavy, and many have V8s...... there are lots of ways to make cars fast, and a japanese car's light weight (typically) usually helps it go faster.

Earlier I simply stepped in because I do know alot about LT1 cars, and just simply tried to clear something up. I didnt buy my car to be a family hauler, I wanted something that is a tried design, simple in nature, and very fast. I have that. You guys bought your maximas for different reasons. Being as how many of you are enthusiasts though, you look to make your cars perform better, as do american car owners, european car owners, etc. What is it that you all are trying to prove to yourselves by bashing american cars and saying all the reasons why japanese cars are better and why american cars are junk? I just dont get it. On this site more than any other car site I have been to, many of the members are so closed minded about how they view other cars... thinking their cars are the best and that everything else is junk. I have already made it clear I like maximas. Are you ****ed that you cant keep up with many other cars that are american junk? (like my camaro) What many of you people dont seem to realize is that your cars were never desgined to be fast, just sporty family sedans. Nissan did a very good job, kudos to them, but talk to the maxima engineers, ask them if they built that car to go to the dragstrip. Mine was designed for this. I think alot of you guys should invest in some TT 300Zx cars peace everyone
Andy
Because american cars are trash... They have the reliability of me winning the damn Lotto 649!
Old 07-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd

The GMC Envoy, If you'd like I'll list more.
okay thats a truck with a foriegn - inspired straight six.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

that was funny

rollin on the floor several times on this thread

please allow me

1. round my neck of woods just like someone said "you cant tell the 15 sec stangs from the 12 sec ones".

2. if the maxima had a summit catalog as thick as the domestic v-8s does it would be just as fast.

3. i like all cars cause im a motorhead tried and true, but the 90s camaros are like yesteryear engine technology. pushrods and what not, granted it is a proven recipe for quickness thats why GM still uses the pushrod v-8.

4. just to touch on camaros, why is the engine stuffed 3 miles under the windshield ? whats up with that hump in the passenger floorboard thats level with my *******?

5. on top of that why is GM getting rid of the camaro/firebird twins?

6. please do not bring up v-6 domestic anything. except maybe the contour svt six. v-6 mustangs and camaros are a waste off of the production line.

7. anyone remember the 3.4 dohc v-6 used in the lumina ? where is it now? guess they will be sticking to the pushrod sixes and eights for while.

okay im done
Old 07-04-2002, 06:47 PM

That hump is the catalytic converter.

I think all you people who rip on ALL American cars as being trash need to wake up. I assume since most of you drive Maximas that you are spoiled by the relatively nice interior and smooth V-6. But have you ever sat/ridden/driven a low to mid dollar import car? The interior is a SEA of plastic (sounds oddly familiar to that dreaded American trash), the motors are torqueless pieces of garbage, and the styling leaves TONS to be desired. Don't tell me about how well Jap car makers build their respective brands; some make durable cars, but the majority of Japanese "economy cars" and "mid-size vehicles" are piles of sh**.

You guys talk way too much crap about other car makers when the Maxima that most of you drive run AT BEST low 14's.

JMO.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by CSever05

You guys talk way too much crap about other car makers when the Maxima that most of you drive run AT BEST low 14's.

JMO.
Speaking of crap talking and in walks a great big turd.

First of when you try and trump in on a discussion you need to state the obvious things. Like what kind of car you have, mods, quickest et's, etc. You know beat on your chest some so you are funner to embarrass. With that said, let me clue you in on a little something:

A lot of people (domestics and imports alike) like to toss around numbers they get from mags, wives tales, and legends. The only people who make a decent argument are the ones that have experience with both cars or at the track. 14's and 13's are not as dime a dozen as people think (for daily driven street legal cars). All the mags normally post CORRECTED times and therefore are not always the norm. People are giving props to big displacement and built V-8's like it's a huge accomplishment. As my buddy Nismo2020 and I have stated, If we had a 1000 page catalog dedicated to everything from crate motors to lightened seat belt clips, I'm am absolutely certain that we could be even faster than the most infamous of the V-8's.

As for waking up, chew on this for a little bit: I challenge you to show me your 13 sec timeslip that you think is so easy to do. When you do (which I doubt you even can), You and I can compare dollar for dollar what it took you to get there and what it took me to get there (cause I have several 13 sec slips). Until then, leave the discussion to people who have something material and real to say. Not--my brother's cousin's next door neighbor has a fast V-8 that can beat your little V-6...
Old 07-04-2002, 09:27 PM
Ginuwin3112

Just think if Nissan engineered VQ technology into a 4.6L V8. Well I can tell you that particular V8 would destroy any other 4.6L in the world performance wise.
Now THIS should be in the bible AMEN to that!

Heck.. why not a VQ57??

Old 07-05-2002, 10:27 AM

Atleast your Max had a good run..
Old 07-05-2002, 08:54 PM

you are funner to embarrass.
I'm funner? Wow, you sure are easier to embarrass.

BTW, why do I need to tell you what I drive? Facts are facts, regardless if I drive a Ferrari or a Ford.

A lot of people (domestics and imports alike) like to toss around numbers they get from mags, wives tales, and legends. The only people who make a decent argument are the ones that have experience with both cars or at the track. 14's and 13's are not as dime a dozen as people think (for daily driven street legal cars). All the mags normally post CORRECTED times and therefore are not always the norm. People are giving props to big displacement and built V-8's like it's a huge accomplishment. As my buddy Nismo2020 and I have stated, If we had a 1000 page catalog dedicated to everything from crate motors to lightened seat belt clips, I'm am absolutely certain that we could be even faster than the most infamous of the V-8's.
I never gave props to big displacement V-8's, I never said anything about 14's being fast, I never mentioned mag times, and I never mentioned mods. Perhaps you should reread my post and reply with a coherent, relevant response.

As for waking up, chew on this for a little bit: I challenge you to show me your 13 sec timeslip that you think is so easy to do. When you do (which I doubt you even can), You and I can compare dollar for dollar what it took you to get there and what it took me to get there (cause I have several 13 sec slips). Until then, leave the discussion to people who have something material and real to say. Not--my brother's cousin's next door neighbor has a fast V-8 that can beat your little V-6...
Again, relevance?

My original intent was not to say all domestics are great cars, nor was my intent to bash on imports. I just get sick of your bashing Mustangs and Camaros and talking about how inefficient they are when most of them would hang or obliterate you at the track. You might be suprised at how much of an import car fan I am, but ignorant comments irritate me.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:48 PM

Old 07-06-2002, 12:00 AM

OK so this wasnt the last post. But for all of you flamers out there, go ahead and flame me on as you please. I havent heard anything intelligent to say supported by others or anything remotely scientific except for somethin to the effect of richard simmons and the bird in my sig. So keep on driving your AUTOMATIC family sedans and try to compare it as a real sports/performance car.

As for the guy who asked why GM disco'd the F body, well why did Toyota disco the Supra, arguably the best bang for the buck import? Nissan the 300z, mazda the RX7? We're quite the minority here being automotive enthusiasts, as the majority of the population doesnt give a hoot. We're even more the minority being family sedan 'enthusiasts'.

Originally posted by Dave B
Eric:

Weight?

An F-body weighs 3300-3600lbs depending on model (base Z28 to the up level TA). The Corvette weighs 3200-3400lbs depending on model (Z06 to convertible auto). The 96+ Mustang weighs 3200-3500lbs depeding on model (Cobra to GT). The 4th gen Maxima........2900-3100lbs.
Yes but look how wide the tires are on any of these cars except the maxima. With a car so heavy in the 3000+ range, no wonder corvettes, Supras (and just about every other real sports cars 3000 lbs and over) run 275 tires, 255s and 245s.

Handling?

My Maxima EASILY outhandles my 94 Z28 which BTW, also had a solid axle in the back too. The Mustang GT and many VWs also have these solid axles if you didn't know. Have you ever driven a Mustang, especially the older 5.0s? They handle like a wet porkchop. They stick well, but the everything else is horrible. They lack feel, have **** poor brakes, and the suspension is awful.
Dave how modded up was the z28 in suspension? I know your max you have almost all the suspension mods available minus the sway bar- springs, struts, urethane endlinks, subframe connectors, front and rear braces as well as new tires and wheels. If we're comparing a FULLY MODDED max to a stock or near stock car X, thats not fair. How about we compare a modded max to a stock z06 then?

I wouldnt say the brakes or suspension on the maxima are anything to write home about either. We got 10.5 " brakes which fade like nuts and are quite frankly too small for this size car. Our suspension also isnt that great with the beam axled rear.

I see you listed Mercedes as a "good handling car". Nearly all the Benz's sold are shod with crap tires and soft suspensions. I wouldn't call a 2-ton Benz a "handler".
Well I was more referring to the lines of the CLK coupes but anyway as for crap tires, just look at what tires came with our cars. I had the Toyo Proxes A05 tires and those were the biggest pieces of crap. No traction wet or dry, laterally or longitudally. Factory tires dont count because I dont care what car it is short of a Ferrari most cars come with crap tires and we'd replace them.

Nor would I call the new W8 Passat a handler. The W8 has been critisized for being very nose heavy and exhibits severe understeer.
Can't be any worse then what my car does now.

Acceleration? My 4th gen Maxima with simple bolt ons is damn close to being as quick as my 94 Z28 was with a catback. The only thing holding my Maxima back is off the line traction. My Z28 with a catback went 99mph where as my Maxima is going nearly 98mph.
Mod for mod you know as well as I do that any F body/muscle car is gonna be alot more responsive and cheaper. You even said so yourself of how your friend with an automatic z28 runs 11s with only heads, cam, high stall converter and headers. I know a guy with a firehawk who has probably $2000 in mods in the low 12s (headers, converter, catback). $2000 in mods here will maybe get you in the low 14s here excluding NOS. Most of my friends who have LS1 or LS4 motors trap in the 110-120 mph range. Even running juice and high boost at the same time most the motors here are at the slower end of that range.

A car that's running deep into the 90mph range is fast. There's not many cars out there that run over 90mph in the 1/4 mile and the ones that do are typically very expensive and/or built for the sole purpose of speed. I'm proud on my little Nissan. I get to go fast in a pretty luxurious car for very little money. I couldn't be happier.
Odd you should say not many cars out there that run over 90 mph. Every time I go to the drags I'm one of the slower cars. Of course thers always gonna be the 16 second civics and GTIs, but I see 100 mph+ speeds from just about every turbo'd car there (civic, WRX, 1.8T VW cars) DSM, new celica, Integras, Supra heck even an automatic cavalier z24 was hitting 15.2s.

However, my miles an hour is still relatively low at 93.x mphs so this indicates I'm still having power loss somewhere.

Lay down the crack pipe Did you really think you could extract 400hp from a NA DOHC 3.0 V6?
WHERE did I ever say NA? I meant 400 hp period, be it boost, NOS or the combination of the above.

It's costs money to go fast and clearly you have any money so obviously you wouldn't have been able to make this sedan go fast anyways. Right? It takes BMW 5.0 liters to get 400hp NA, why you think you can get 400hp NA with your 3.0?
I didnt- see above. However, toyota Supra uses 3.0 6's yet we've seen them boosted to ungodly figures making ungodly amounts of power.
And given enough money you can make ANYTHING fast, however money is a finite item. For the amount of $ I have wasted/spent on this car (car included) I coulda definately had a much different much more stylish car. Simple fact we can't ignore- this car is MORE EXPENSIVE to make fast and almost IMPOSSIBLE to make REALLY FAST then alot of other cars.

Sure, there are plenty of fast Honda's running around, but they break down just like any other car that wasn't designed for super high power outputs which brings us back to the money thing. It takes money to go fast and money isn't something you have therefore maybe you should lay off on trying to have a fast car. Corvettes, BMWs, and even Supra TTs break down too as I saw at a Solo II event last weekend.
I dont argue that stuff is gonna break, cause I know first hand it does. But when it comes to fixing stuff, the repair parts for the maxima are sooooo freaking expensive!

If you really wanted to go fast for cheap in the Maxima the answer is quite simple. NOS and slicks. That's EASY and DEEP 13s for about $1000. It's not brain surgery. Low 13s puts you in the ranks of the infamous LS1, the quickest BMWs, any Benz, nearly every Stang, etc.
Low 13s is just about what most LS1s at my dragstrip run stock. Oh yeah, and there are quite a few 11 and 10 second mustangs running at my strip as well. And you said it yourself before, 13s are not really that fast.

When buying the Maxima, most of us understood that a Maxima is not a drag car and making a 11-second sedan is quite stupid and rediculous.
Why not, theres 11 second WRX's, 11 second 94-96 impala SS's, even the SHO's. Heck even this one VW jetta VR6Turbo runs flat 12s. The point i'm trying to make is that this is a poor choice in vehicles from a performance perspective. For me it was even a worse choice. Personally I have no family. I'm single, college student, have a few other vehicles at my disposal incase/when something breaks, snow, need to haul something etc.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by nismo2020

okay thats a truck with a foriegn - inspired straight six.
OK all he asked was name any domestic 6 that produces close to 300 NA and I answered also the new 3.2 250hp it will be in the next model CTS thats not a truck. And BTW Jamie the 350z doesn't produce 300hp yeah it's damn close but only 287hp. so the little american 3.2 is only 37 off.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow...this thread is still alive?

<Damn, I just helped it live, didn't I?>

IanS
Old 07-06-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Speaking of crap talking and in walks a great big turd.

First of when you try and trump in on a discussion you need to state the obvious things. Like what kind of car you have, mods, quickest et's, etc. You know beat on your chest some so you are funner to embarrass. With that said, let me clue you in on a little something:

Dollar for dollar If I went out today and spent X amout of dollars on a Z28 and you went out and spent the same amount of money on a maxima then both of us had 7k to put into mods (not taking driver into account because there are good ones and bad ones) the Z28 will be faster I don't care what you say or think even if you had a book with all the mods known to mankind for the Maxima the Z28 will be faster. Let John force drive both the cars down the track and the Z28 will win probably everytime. I understand that the Maxima has 2 less cylinders I also know that the Maxima has a hell of alot better reliability. but face it dollar for dollar a Z28 is faster. I don't know about you but I'm building my car to look stock and beat stock V8s and last night I saw a bottle fed Max running 14s thats bad *** but every Z28 up there was into the 13s. I also saw a New SVT cobra he (guy couldn't drive) only turned a 13.5 out of it. I'm sure your car's fast and I'm sure you beat Z28s but I also know that if they were spraying like you, youd get your *** handed to you. Good luck racing and I hope that you Strap GT *** but face it the Z28 can be made faster for the same amount of money. this also goes for GTs and other new V8 sports cars.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:07 PM