4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom BMW E46 HID retro

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 09:18 AM

Custom BMW E46 HID retro

just finished doing the retro a few days back. heres some pictures of what it looks like

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291731151

As for the price, i've decided to drop it down to $600 total for everything. If anyone is still interested email me at see_fu@hotmail.com
Old 06-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

That is VERY impressive!

Got any daytime pics, so we can get a better look at'em?
Old 06-15-2002, 10:47 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Looks cool... but it's only a low beam system, right?
Old 06-15-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
Looks cool... but it's only a low beam system, right?
Yes, for the E46 projector its just a low beam, however they do make a bi-xenon projector where u get low and high beam out of the same proejctor.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:09 PM

How much would it cost to fit that bi-xenon projector into the max?
Old 06-15-2002, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
How much would it cost to fit that bi-xenon projector into the max?
parts alone you're looking at $700. then there's more labor involved as now i have to build a solenoid to run the projector
Old 06-17-2002, 05:32 AM

Good job. But definitely get the high beams done. nm

nm
Old 06-17-2002, 07:47 AM

there's no point in having a high beam. When I use my high beams on my car, it doesn't light up anymore down the road than the low beams. All I do is light up the trees.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:47 AM

Yes there is >>

Originally posted by see_fu
there's no point in having a high beam. When I use my high beams on my car, it doesn't light up anymore down the road than the low beams. All I do is light up the trees.
If you've really got the E46 projector HIDs like you say you do, then you would notice that there is a well defined horizontal cutoff in the beam pattern. You will not get the sight distance high beams would give you if you only ran the low beams. Think about it this way. If you didn't need them, why do E46 BMWs have highbeams?

And please don't give me that riceboy speech about how you don't need high beams because you can always aim them up more. That's the wrong attitude to take when it comes to lighting
Old 06-17-2002, 08:57 AM

ummm ok i'm not sure where the riceboy came from. Like I said i already found a solution to the high beam problem up above if you're willing to pay for them. On mine i have it going straight out and sligly going down (probably going down at an angle of 2-5 degrees max). At this point the high beams for me are useless. I really dont care what the BMW's come with. If you're gonna say stuff like that, then how do you answer to the crappy foglights that most cars come with now? Most foglights i've seen on most cars dont do anything other than cosmetics.

If you really believe that i'm gonna pass off a non oem hid projector as a oem hid projector then that's up to u, but heres a pic of what the cutoff looks like.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8.jpg.orig.jpg
Old 06-17-2002, 09:40 AM

Ok ok, let me settle down a bit >>

Originally posted by see_fu
ummm ok i'm not sure where the riceboy came from. Like I said i already found a solution to the high beam problem up above if you're willing to pay for them. On mine i have it going straight out and sligly going down (probably going down at an angle of 2-5 degrees max). At this point the high beams for me are useless. I really dont care what the BMW's come with. If you're gonna say stuff like that, then how do you answer to the crappy foglights that most cars come with now? Most foglights i've seen on most cars dont do anything other than cosmetics.

If you really believe that i'm gonna pass off a non oem hid projector as a oem hid projector then that's up to u, but heres a pic of what the cutoff looks like.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8.jpg.orig.jpg
I wasn't saying that you were a riceboy. It's just irks me so when poeple say that they don't need highbeams.

I commend you on your project, and I was just suggesting that you complete the good job that you have started.

What I am saying is that with properly aimed E-code lamp (which is what you have if you are using E46 projectors), you will not have enough light reaching far in front of the car. Contrary to popular belief (at least here on the .ORG), highbeams are very necessary, especially when driving on poorly/non lit roads in the US.

Your posted picture only proves my point. I also never said that I didn't believe that you did have E46 low beam units...if it sounded that way, I apologize.

As for the issue of foglamps, I've always thought that the OE lamps on 4th and 5th Gens are not too shabby. I've sem better, and I've seen worse. The best solution would be a good pair of aftermarket foglamps from companies like Hella, Marchal, Cibie, Philips or Sylvania.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:54 AM

Re: Ok ok, let me settle down a bit >>

Originally posted by Albertt

I wasn't saying that you were a riceboy. It's just irks me so when poeple say that they don't need highbeams.

I commend you on your project, and I was just suggesting that you complete the good job that you have started.

What I am saying is that with properly aimed E-code lamp (which is what you have if you are using E46 projectors), you will not have enough light reaching far in front of the car. Contrary to popular belief (at least here on the .ORG), highbeams are very necessary, especially when driving on poorly/non lit roads in the US.

Your posted picture only proves my point. I also never said that I didn't believe that you did have E46 low beam units...if it sounded that way, I apologize.

As for the issue of foglamps, I've always thought that the OE lamps on 4th and 5th Gens are not too shabby. I've sem better, and I've seen worse. The best solution would be a good pair of aftermarket foglamps from companies like Hella, Marchal, Cibie, Philips or Sylvania.
to early for me. i guess i read your post wrong. as for the ecodes, i'm not using ecodes. i'm using dot e46 proejctors so there's enough light above the cutoff where u light up signs just fine.