4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACT Street clutch INSTALLED!! Opinions and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 07:36 PM

ACT Street clutch INSTALLED!! Opinions and questions

I got the ACT Street clutch installed today. I must say, I love it. A lot of fellow .org members said it was hard getting used to it. I dont think its all that bad. Its a lot different, but you just have to remember the release point is a lot lower. 1st gear is a little bouncy but after a few days I think that'll be gone. I hit EVERY single stop light on the way home so I got a lot practice. I really do recommend this. Its taking a lot to not hammer on this, but you have to baby it for the first 500.I havnet noticed this "Chatter" that a lot of people on here have experenced. Maybe I'm just lucky or somthing, i dunno

My question is- Is it ok that I am riding the clutch a little. Im not at the point with this clutch that I can just release it quickly and have it be smooth. Especially in first gear, i really just feather it out, giving it gas almost the whole. It doesnt jerk as much at all. Is this ok?
Old 06-16-2002, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ACT Street clutch INSTALLED!! Opinions and questions

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
My question is- Is it ok that I am riding the clutch a little. Im not at the point with this clutch that I can just release it quickly and have it be smooth. Especially in first gear, i really just feather it out, giving it gas almost the whole. It doesnt jerk as much at all. Is this ok?
If you really want to get a good break in (and it sounds like you do) try not to ride the clutch. Quick slips are much better than riding the clutch for the entire clutch travel. You'll get used to driving like this, the clutch will last better, and you'll probably get some chatter After my break-in my clutch felt good, but after 5k my clutch felt even better.
-hype
Old 06-16-2002, 11:42 PM

as long as you're not revving the car too much as you slip the clutch out you can ride it a little...it won't hurt anything. I've had chatter since the first day I had my ACT clutch. It's better than it was in the beginning...but nowhere near smooth.