4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 08:37 PM

differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

Hey guys I was considering buying a 4th gen maxima and I just want to do a little research first and I figure you guys can help me better than anyone. I now drive a 96 Altima SE and I was just wondering what things changed in what years between 95-99. I heard somthing about a rear/front difference in 95-96 vs 97+ but haven't seen pics. Are there any things I should consider when looking for a Maxima? Also which models came with ABS etc. I know the SE came with alloys and a spoiler. Any help is appreciated and I did read the FAQ and search briefly
Old 06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

Originally posted by eatmocake
Hey guys I was considering buying a 4th gen maxima and I just want to do a little research first and I figure you guys can help me better than anyone. I now drive a 96 Altima SE and I was just wondering what things changed in what years between 95-99. I heard somthing about a rear/front difference in 95-96 vs 97+ but haven't seen pics. Are there any things I should consider when looking for a Maxima? Also which models came with ABS etc. I know the SE came with alloys and a spoiler. Any help is appreciated and I did read the FAQ and search briefly
well im in a talkative mood......the difference between 95-96 is i think the 96 had another color or two and the 96 had a big cup holder in the console...

the differences between the 95-96 and 97-99....where to start...

the front bumper is restyled with plastic eyewear instead of glass, looks better but my guess is that the glass would last longer/better than the plastic. the 95-96 also came with a cornering light(when you hit the signal a light would go on) but this is useless if you modify the bulb to be bright all the time.
the rear end on 95-96 has the red lenses on the bottom and on the other its on the top.

the steering wheel and power steering are different on the 95-96 the steering is light as a feather and the steering wheel itself is bigger, on the other the steering is a little heavier and the steering wheel itself is redesigned and slightly smaller. also on the 97-99 the little push button to disengage to key lock has disappeared. on the wooden dash i belive in the later years (98-99) it goes all the way around the ac vents (someone help me out on this one.) the console itself has small variants on 98-99 the direction of the fuel is pointed to right i believe. the needles on the 95-96 are white as well instead of white (my personal favorite difference between the dashes.... )

the 97-99 are better structurally reinforced on the trunk and bumper as well. after market stuff is slightly different on both models... (only slightly different)

the se rims on the 95-96 are on the gle for 97-99 and the se rims on those are now 1 inch bigger and look a little nicer. I cant think of too much other stuff...sorry so long, if I'm wrong on something I'm sorry.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Re: differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

Originally posted by rguida

the rear end on 95-96 has the red lenses on the bottom and on the other its on the top.

the needles on the 95-96 are white as well instead of white (my personal favorite difference between the dashes.... )
first, thank you VERY much. I had noticed that some maximas had red on top of the tails and some of the bottom but wasnt sure what years. also, do you mean the 95-96 needles are white instead of orange?
as for aftermarket- can i still get the skyline (altezza conversion) tails and (upcoming) projector (halo/angel eyes) headlights for all years 95-99? I really like those two. also I would look into airbags from alex (southwest autoworks... dont know if hes a member here or not)
what else is significantly different about aftermarket?
Old 06-16-2002, 09:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

first, thank you VERY much. I had noticed that some maximas had red on top of the tails and some of the bottom but wasnt sure what years. also, do you mean the 95-96 needles are white instead of orange?
as for aftermarket- can i still get the skyline (altezza conversion) tails and (upcoming) projector (halo/angel eyes) headlights for all years 95-99? I really like those two. also I would look into airbags from alex (southwest autoworks... dont know if hes a member here or not)
what else is significantly different about aftermarket?
theres not really too much of a difference with after markter small little thigns here and there....like uh.....**** like altezza's for example. there more tails for the 97-99 then for the 95-96....

also i did mean orange instead of red with the needles
Old 06-16-2002, 10:59 PM

also...

95-95GXE has a button to open the trunk and the 97-99GXE haas a lever

95-96 has a remote lock/unlock/trunk opener on the GXE model and 97-99GXE doesn't

95-96 gxe has power seats, 97=99 GXE doesn't

95-96 has ugly **** rims.

95 is the fastest because in 96 they added a more exsust restrictive system and in 97-99 the cars were build heavier for the bumper protection

I would go with the 97 SE because it looks better then the 95-96 and is cheaper then the 98-99. just my opinion. just make sure you buy a maxima and not some ricer civic
Old 06-16-2002, 11:25 PM

aw heck no. i really wouldn't want a civic. once u go nissan u never go back. i am a firm believer in that.
i couldn't find anything on how to do the altezza skyline conversion. i searched and looked on other sites too.
i think there was another question i had but i can't remember what right now...
Old 06-16-2002, 11:27 PM

Re: differences in years? (95, 96, 97...)

which models came with ABS?
that's it ^
Old 06-16-2002, 11:46 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=57596
Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 PM

much thanks
Old 06-16-2002, 11:52 PM

I'll add in.....

95-97 the Max's had a analogue odometer and in 98 & 99 models, the odometer is digital
95-98 Bose systems had analogue functions and in 99 the bose system had digital functions
95-96 SE models have the sawblade mags
97-99 SE models got some nice lookin stock 5-spoke mags. The GLE has the sawblade mags (like in my sig)
98 and 99 models had available side air bags (only with leather-equipped models though)
99 model is the only 4th gen that came with a vehicle immobilizer/chipped key security system.

I think all models had ABS as an option, but to find a GXE with ABS is quite rare. An optioned up SE might have it, and I believe GLE's do have ABS equipped.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:06 AM

Here is more info on the options available in different years -- http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html .

ABS was always available but came with different packages or requirements on differnt years. I belive the GXE needs to be an automatic to get ABS except for the '95'. ABS was part of different option packages in different years, it was part of the cold weather package for a few years.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:47 AM

dude, stop being so obsessed with the altezza, they don't look that good on maxima. although i do have them on mine but its because maxima stock taillights are butt. if you want to buy some just go on ebay and type "maxima altezza" and theyhave it for all 4th gen cars
Old 06-17-2002, 10:12 AM

What was so "digital" about the 99 Bose? I thought it just looked the coolest with the update face, but was functionally the same as all the other Bose head units.

DW

Originally posted by Iqb316
I'll add in.....

. 95-98 Bose systems had analogue functions and in 99 the bose system had digital functions . . .
Old 06-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by dwapenyi
What was so "digital" about the 99 Bose? I thought it just looked the coolest with the update face, but was functionally the same as all the other Bose head units.

DW

i was thinkin the same thing

oh ya 95 MAX was OB1 something like that and 96+ was 2
Old 06-17-2002, 10:21 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

The 1995 Maxima GXE 5-speed does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds STOCK. That's faster than ANY maxima besides the 2k2. (yes, including the 222hp 5th gens). It's common that people think they are faster simply because of the HP #'s, when in fact the extra weight totally discredits that extra HP. It basically comes down to personal preference becuase all 4th and 5th gen maxima's have very nice punch.

On the highway I think the variable timing on the 5th gens help out so they pull equally as hard/harder than us, but the down low punch belongs to the 4th generation Maxima.

In stock form, I think the 97-99 Maxima looks much better. But once you start modding they become very close. It takes a little more modding but the 95-96 can look just as good/better than the 97-99.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

DW

Oh, what I mean is that the FADE/BASS and BAL/TREBLE were ***** in the 95-98 Bose systems and in 99, the FADE/BASS and BAL/TREBLE functions were no longer *****, to adjust them, you had to push a different button to access the functions and then adjust them using UP and DOWN.
Do you know what I mean? Lol, only say the 99 Bose once, trying to remember, but I believe that's the difference. Yea the new face was pretty cool, wish the older Max's had em.
But yea, what I meant was there didn't have the ***** for those functions in the 99 Bose, that's what I meant by digital, maybe I should have been more clear
Old 06-17-2002, 02:17 PM

Oh, I see what you mean. OK

DW

Originally posted by Iqb316

Oh, what I mean is that the FADE/BASS and BAL/TREBLE were ***** in the 95-98 Bose systems and in 99, the FADE/BASS and BAL/TREBLE functions were no longer *****, to adjust them, you had to push a different button to access the functions and then adjust them using UP and DOWN.
Do you know what I mean? Lol, only say the 99 Bose once, trying to remember, but I believe that's the difference. Yea the new face was pretty cool, wish the older Max's had em.
But yea, what I meant was there didn't have the ***** for those functions in the 99 Bose, that's what I meant by digital, maybe I should have been more clear
Old 06-17-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by 88MaximaSE
dude, stop being so obsessed with the altezza, they don't look that good on maxima. although i do have them on mine but its because maxima stock taillights are butt. if you want to buy some just go on ebay and type "maxima altezza" and theyhave it for all 4th gen cars
I am not obsessed (as probably most newbies to this site are) with altezzas. in fact I agree that they aren't that good looking. but I DO like the skyline conversion. THAT's what I was looking for (a how to). the skyline converted altezzas that I have seen were photoshopped on by DeRaNgeD.

Also, Craig Mack. I really like that front. It's not the stock one is it? What kit is that? also, is it molded?
Old 06-17-2002, 03:25 PM

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/comparison.html
Old 06-17-2002, 07:22 PM

oh wow so Craig Mack's front is stock for a 95-96 right? i think that looks tight. does it have a lip on the bottom or somthing? it looks like it might be a little bit different but I can't tell.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it is the stock front... with clear bumper lights (aka. clears) and a stillen front lip
Old 06-17-2002, 08:09 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

oh wow so Craig Mack's front is stock for a 95-96 right? i think that looks tight. does it have a lip on the bottom or somthing? it looks like it might be a little bit different but I can't tell.
Yea dude my front is a stock 95-96 grille. I bought some home depot aluminum gutter mesh and made my own grill, and glued the emblem on it. And yes that bottom part is called the Stillen Front lip, it's part of the body kit.

Shoot me an email if u have anymore questions.

Craig
Old 06-17-2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Yea dude my front is a stock 95-96 grille. I bought some home depot aluminum gutter mesh and made my own grill, and glued the emblem on it. And yes that bottom part is called the Stillen Front lip, it's part of the body kit.

Shoot me an email if u have anymore questions.

Craig
Ooo Craig? I have a question (raises arm innocently). What are those black dots on your mesh grille? I hope it's not tie-straps.

How've you been Craig? Long time no speak.