4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

This REALLY HAPPENED to me! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This REALLY HAPPENED to me! (long)

Ok, the other week my car gets hit-and-runned by someone in a restaurant parking lot and I notice it the next day (nighttime, black car)- big basketball sized dent in the left rear quarter panel....Anyway, I get an estimate from my Nissan dealer- $650! and he's talkin' paint and all that *&#& ! and all the while I'm tellin' him that I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna need much in the the way of paint...SO then I go to another dealer right then! and talk to the service manager about paintless dent removal (PDR) and he comes right outside with me to take a look and says, "Hmmm..yeah, nice dent, pop the trunk" and proceeds to quickly pull back the trunk lining and PUNCH (yeah, with his fist) the freakin' dent out with two good hits! Then he says "How's that for paintless dent removal!"......By the way, turns out the real PDR guy was there on the lot THAT DAY and I went and talked to him and he ended up taking care of a ding no the other side of the car for $99...BONUS! Money saved: $550 Car looks: well I think y'all know the answer to that one!
P.S. When I got home I took that service manager's example and unhooked the trunk lining and finished off what little remained of that original dent with a rubber hammer (5min.)
Old 06-19-2002, 10:53 PM

good save, now that money and buy some goodies for the max (pretend you spent it)
Old 06-20-2002, 05:24 AM

It looks like you found a different dealer to use in the future. I'd go back to the first dealer and tell them how the other one helped you out.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:39 AM
tiedyemaxima

My car needs some PDR. My car Dealer was charging me an arm and a leg and then i went to a body shop in town and he gave me a price for about $200 cheaper.

Old 06-20-2002, 08:06 AM

good save-
do you have a pic of where the damage was? i have a dent right behind the rear window (by antenna) and was wondering if i can get to it easily.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by sil SE
good save-
do you have a pic of where the damage was? i have a dent right behind the rear window (by antenna) and was wondering if i can get to it easily.
No, don't have a picture of the dent, but it sounds from your description that your dent is pretty much on the exact opposite side of where mine was....SO unless the antenna motor mechanism is in the way you should be able to pop the truck, pop out the 2-4 plastic screws, pull back the trunk lining and bang it out yourself with a rubber hammer. Just be careful to get a good view of where your going to hit first (there should be some insulation there that you'll be hitting directly) and use your other hand on the outside of the car to guide where your hitting. Should be a snap!
Oh, by the way, the PDR guy was from "DentWizard" and they have a website and 800#...
He also informed me that if you have a dent on the FRONT quarter panels, the ole home-dent-removal technique works there too! (But not on the doors....) Good luck!