4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installed smc sts tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002 | 09:30 PM

installed smc sts tonight

God, taking off my RT cat is a pain in the A$$ - those slip joints they use are pieces of ****. Anyways, I get it all apart, put in the STS, and oh BOY that detent spring was a pain! I accidentally stretched it too far because I was too frustrated.

So after I got it all back together, I sat in the driveway with the car running and moved the shifter back and forth in neutral, and I can hear metal on metal - sounds like something small, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Took it for a drive and oh, my, g-o-d, I LOVE IT, I love it!!! Instead of moving my whole arm to make a shift, I barely have to flick my wrist and BAM I have another 3000 rpm's to fly thru

Oh yeah, I reused the stock **** for now. I might go look at some 2k-2k2 maxima-altima-sentra ***** and see if there is anything I like, but for the most part, I cannot stand the gaudy aftermarket pieces. I just grabbed a rag and some vice grips, opened them up and clamped down, and it turned pretty easily, considering what I've read. I also left the heat shield off - I didn't feel like cutting into it, so I will see how hot it gets thru the boot.

Cliff Notes: Installed STS and I LOVE IT!
Old 06-19-2002 | 10:14 PM

Re: installed smc sts tonight

Originally posted by global_threat
God, taking off my RT cat is a pain in the A$$ - those slip joints they use are pieces of ****. Anyways, I get it all apart, put in the STS, and oh BOY that detent spring was a pain! I accidentally stretched it too far because I was too frustrated.

So after I got it all back together, I sat in the driveway with the car running and moved the shifter back and forth in neutral, and I can hear metal on metal - sounds like something small, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Took it for a drive and oh, my, g-o-d, I LOVE IT, I love it!!! Instead of moving my whole arm to make a shift, I barely have to flick my wrist and BAM I have another 3000 rpm's to fly thru

Oh yeah, I reused the stock **** for now. I might go look at some 2k-2k2 maxima-altima-sentra ***** and see if there is anything I like, but for the most part, I cannot stand the gaudy aftermarket pieces. I just grabbed a rag and some vice grips, opened them up and clamped down, and it turned pretty easily, considering what I've read. I also left the heat shield off - I didn't feel like cutting into it, so I will see how hot it gets thru the boot.

Cliff Notes: Installed STS and I LOVE IT!
that's cool, its not to stiff?
Old 06-20-2002 | 12:55 AM

Yeah it's pretty stiff. My mom couldn't drive it, but my two friends who drive manuals could do it with a little trouble. I can whip thru the gears like nothing, though.

Still loving it