4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

supercharger... just more air, or , air and gas.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 11:13 AM

supercharger... just more air, or , air and gas.

I have been thinking a lot today, and am confused. when you supercharge your car, it forces the air in... does the ecu automatically adjust the fuel up and allow more fuel to enter, or, does the maf only measure volume not quantity, and the gas is the same, just a lot more air. sorry if this is dumb, but custom s/c is soon to see my maxima, and this is a critical unkown in my quest for s/c knowledge haha,, thanks.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:21 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: supercharger... just more air, or , air and gas.

Originally posted by hlh0501
I have been thinking a lot today, and am confused. when you supercharge your car, it forces the air in... does the ecu automatically adjust the fuel up and allow more fuel to enter, or, does the maf only measure volume not quantity, and the gas is the same, just a lot more air. sorry if this is dumb, but custom s/c is soon to see my maxima, and this is a critical unkown in my quest for s/c knowledge haha,, thanks.
Because all air coming from the SC passes through the MAF, the ECU senses the extra airflow and increases the fuel. In addition, many people (with smaller pullies) add items such as FMU's and AFC's to get more control over the fuel flow.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just think about it...air all by itself doesn't create power...air & fuel together does. If you had too much air and not enough fuel, then BOOM!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
Just think about it...air all by itself doesn't create power...air & fuel together does. If you had too much air and not enough fuel, then BOOM!!!
that was exactly my thoughts, but then i countered myself haha, by thinking too things... the maf only knows the amount of air going through (volume) not the pressure (quantity) so how would it know abuot s/c ... but what you say makes sense... also, another thought, if more gas is being used, how do you get better gas mileage (as i thought, but maybe i am wrong, )...

thanks+
Old 06-21-2002, 11:25 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

The MAF will read the air but the fuel system still needs some help with the FMU that increases the FP a certain psi per lb of boost. Even the basic Vortech has the FMU(6:1 ratio).

Basic formula... you need both more air AND fuel to make power.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Sports Button FTW

lol, i talked to iansw about this yesterday on msn messenger and he was telling me how the supercharger is like one STRONG AND FAST cold air intake, all it does is bring in air into transmission but it brings in EVEN COLDER AIR and MUCH MORE condensed air than a regular CAI, thus leading to more going into trans at one time, thus leading to faster throttle and all...torque is ridiculous....i was wondering if it was possible to make our own SC...hmmm....i'll shake whoever's hand on this board that can make a homemade SC
Old 06-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by meccanoble
lol, i talked to iansw about this yesterday on msn messenger and he was telling me how the supercharger is like one STRONG AND FAST cold air intake, all it does is bring in air into transmission but it brings in EVEN COLDER AIR and MUCH MORE condensed air than a regular CAI, thus leading to more going into trans at one time, thus leading to faster throttle and all...torque is ridiculous....i was wondering if it was possible to make our own SC...hmmm....i'll shake whoever's hand on this board that can make a homemade SC
Your entire post made no sense at all.

Plus, I think it was wrong...
Old 06-21-2002, 12:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

Old 06-21-2002, 05:40 PM

Dude! You're TOTALLY misquoting me.

I never said anything about the air being colder, first of all. I was talking about how I have a CAI on my SC that makes the air colder FOR THE SC. The SC itself is in no way like a CAI.

SC air is more likely HOTTER than regular uncompressed air. Air tends to heat when you compress it to 6-9PSI.

A CAI does not compress air at all, it just sucks in colder air, which tends to be a little bit denser (not compressed, just denser).

Geez.....

You're making me look bad.

IanS
Old 06-21-2002, 05:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow!!! I had no idea combustion took place in the TRANSMISSION!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by BlkStnValyMaxima

Wow!!! I had no idea combustion took place in the TRANSMISSION!
Yeah, and I never said that either.

I was talking about my VB Mod ealrier...maybe he got mixed up.

IanS
Old 06-21-2002, 07:21 PM

Haha! You're killing me!

Combustion in transimssion? No wonder my clutch is slipping now!
Old 06-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I think the dunce cap is appropriate at this point. lol

Old 06-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

BIG whoops!

dam, yaw gonna make me cry big mix up....sorry guys

*runs to honda forum for safety*