4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 gxe and door airbags

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 08:07 AM

98 gxe and door airbags

hi all, and thanks for the great site...first time posting here but have read up on some good things..I just bought a "new to me" pearl white 98 gxe and I am wanting to make it a comp car for iasca..I have never done an install with door airbags and was wondering if there is a high risk of setting these off or not? I don't know for sure that they are even in there, the dealer told me some have them and some don't.I have been doing installs for myself and friends and helping friends but never worked in an actual shop or dealt with bags before.Just wondering if there is a big risk or not?
Also if i could get some advice on some basic mods would be cool too...I would like to lower it a little, maybe coilovers or something and I already picked out some 18" konig appeals and want to thank the photoshop guy for having that pic..it was sweet and what made me decide to go with them...thanks again and any advice is appriciated
Old 06-23-2002, 08:15 AM

Re: 98 gxe and door airbags

Originally posted by slickonetoo
hi all, and thanks for the great site...first time posting here but have read up on some good things..I just bought a "new to me" pearl white 98 gxe and I am wanting to make it a comp car for iasca..I have never done an install with door airbags and was wondering if there is a high risk of setting these off or not? I don't know for sure that they are even in there, the dealer told me some have them and some don't.I have been doing installs for myself and friends and helping friends but never worked in an actual shop or dealt with bags before.Just wondering if there is a big risk or not?
Also if i could get some advice on some basic mods would be cool too...I would like to lower it a little, maybe coilovers or something and I already picked out some 18" konig appeals and want to thank the photoshop guy for having that pic..it was sweet and what made me decide to go with them...thanks again and any advice is appriciated
I had to install some airbags on my max not too long ago(long story). my cousin owns a bodyshop where they do it all the time. he just told me that whenever your dealing with airbags just unplug the battery and give the car 10 minutes so the airbags backup capacitor dies out.(it actually takes 5-7 minutes but what the hell wait 10)airbags activate when the sensor senses impact and then sends a 12 volt signal to the airbags...if there is no battery there is no 12volts hence there is no chance of your airbags deploying. (unless of course you decide to do something stupid like puncturing the gas cylinder which fills the bag or playin touch football with it but other than that they are safe.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The side airbags in the Max are mounted in the seats, not the doors. If you have them, there is a big plastic piece on the side of the seat that says "SRS AIRBAG" or something like that. You cant miss it.