4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Leaking Radiator fluid, but not from the Radiator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 01:52 PM

Leaking Radiator fluid, but not from the Radiator!!!

Sup everyone, well I have a big problem, the other day my car overheated nasty. I look under the hood everything seems to be fine. Open the radiator and its empty. Very weird. Anyways, I filled up teh radiator with coolant and water (the right mixture of both) and my car was back to normal, so I thought. I look under the car, and I see drops of green fluid on my assphault. Heres the bigger problem, its not leaking from my radiator, I have no idea where it is leaking from. I hope there isnt' a crack in the block or something, the leak is small, but over time it gets to be a big deal. I was told that it could be a leak int eh water pump, and it seems to be around that area. Anyone encountered the problem before? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Leaking Radiator fluid, but not from the Radiator!!!

Best case, it's a cracked or loose coolant hose. Worst case, you've got a cracked head. The water pump is covered on the passenger side of the engine by the timing chain cover. It you see coolant leakage out of that area, it is likely the water pump failing (it will leak through the weep hole).

Your car overheated for a reason, don't drive it too much if you are still losing coolant until you know the cause of it.

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
Sup everyone, well I have a big problem, the other day my car overheated nasty. I look under the hood everything seems to be fine. Open the radiator and its empty. Very weird. Anyways, I filled up teh radiator with coolant and water (the right mixture of both) and my car was back to normal, so I thought. I look under the car, and I see drops of green fluid on my assphault. Heres the bigger problem, its not leaking from my radiator, I have no idea where it is leaking from. I hope there isnt' a crack in the block or something, the leak is small, but over time it gets to be a big deal. I was told that it could be a leak int eh water pump, and it seems to be around that area. Anyone encountered the problem before? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:02 PM

Re: Re: Leaking Radiator fluid, but not from the Radiator!!!

Originally posted by Eric L.
Best case, it's a cracked or loose coolant hose. Worst case, you've got a cracked head. The water pump is covered on the passenger side of the engine by the timing chain cover. It you see coolant leakage out of that area, it is likely the water pump failing (it will leak through the weep hole).

Your car overheated for a reason, don't drive it too much if you are still losing coolant until you know the cause of it.

Well the leak is from the passenger side area, and in this tiny cozy place where its too dark too see. And all I see is drops comming from the bottom of the area where the pulleys and timing belt area is. Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:37 PM

I agree with Eric, hope it is something simple like a hose.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:45 PM

if you are leaking from the crank pulleys, it is the water pump that is weeping do to bad seals/bearings. your car may have overheated due to a stuck thermostat (closed position). this has happened on my '89. or could have been do to lack of fluids...not quite sure where the coolant sensor is on the 4th gens. good luck......