4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 07:32 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

It was a piece of cake to install and I’m not very experienced with engine maintenance! When I first started the car and revved the engine I didn’t here anything so I became a little skeptical. But all it took was WOT in 1st and 2nd to clear my mind! This intake sounds awesome. It’s exactly what I was looking for: quiet when on regular throttle and a sweet burble on full throttle. I would definitely recommend it!

Of course my wife (Steph) had to drive it. She is the lucky one. As soon as she reaches the first light along comes a ~2000 Grand Prix GTP. I can never get any one to race but as soon as I let my wife drive there they are! Anyway, he had a passenger and I was the passenger in the Max. My wife jumps at the turn of the light but not full throttle to see if he would race.

She gets about 10ft from the light and the GTP guns it. Steph lays the pedal down and the Frankencar intake howls out with a crisp rumble through redline. I kept looking back waiting for him to slowly pull us in. But every time Steph shifted gears we would lose a couple of feet and then begin to pull away. She had to shut down at 80mph (traffic) and we were about 1 ½ car lengths ahead. Steph leaned over to me and says "Well, aren't you happy? You almost bought one of those!!" We pulled up next to him to ask if he had any mods but I think he was too embarrassed because he wouldn’t look our way. He just got whooped by a girl!

Boo
Old 06-24-2002, 07:34 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

A stock GTP won't beat a 4th Gen 5-speed. Congrats on the intakes, I remember the days of my HAI
Old 06-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow. I didn't even see your post before I did mine. This intake rocks! I have a '95 GXE auto. I saw a big increase in performancce across the powerband.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Originally posted by boo
It was a piece of cake to install and I’m not very experienced with engine maintenance! When I first started the car and revved the engine I didn’t here anything so I became a little skeptical. But all it took was WOT in 1st and 2nd to clear my mind! This intake sounds awesome. It’s exactly what I was looking for: quiet when on regular throttle and a sweet burble on full throttle. I would definitely recommend it!

Of course my wife (Steph) had to drive it. She is the lucky one. As soon as she reaches the first light along comes a ~2000 Grand Prix GTP. I can never get any one to race but as soon as I let my wife drive there they are! Anyway, he had a passenger and I was the passenger in the Max. My wife jumps at the turn of the light but not full throttle to see if he would race.

She gets about 10ft from the light and the GTP guns it. Steph lays the pedal down and the Frankencar intake howls out with a crisp rumble through redline. I kept looking back waiting for him to slowly pull us in. But every time Steph shifted gears we would lose a couple of feet and then begin to pull away. She had to shut down at 80mph (traffic) and we were about 1 ½ car lengths ahead. Steph leaned over to me and says "Well, aren't you happy? You almost bought one of those!!" We pulled up next to him to ask if he had any mods but I think he was too embarrassed because he wouldn’t look our way. He just got whooped by a girl!
where did you get you intake at, and how was the install? where did you get the directions to do it?

Boo
Old 06-24-2002, 08:45 PM

Re: Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

sorry, i don't know what happened. where did you pick this up from? also, where did you get the instructions to do this mod?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Originally posted by maximamoose
sorry, i don't know what happened. where did you pick this up from? also, where did you get the instructions to do this mod?
www.frankencar.com The instructions come with the mod. It's a 15-step process. The total cost is $55.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Originally posted by athlon omega

www.frankencar.com The instructions come with the mod. It's a 15-step process. The total cost is $55.
did you just get the mid-pipe, or the whole thing? i have stock everything. i should get the whole deal and spend 180, right?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

did you just get the mid-pipe, or the whole thing? i have stock everything. i should get the whole deal and spend 180, right?
I just got the midpipe since I bought the K&N filter seperately a while back. You should get the whole deal. It will only cost you $135. It includes everything, even your choise of K&N filter of Monster Flow filter. In the comments section about your order or where available. Tell them you want the K&N filter instead of the MOnster Flow filter. K&N are used by most people on this forum since they are proven to be the best.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:18 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Moose, get the intake and midpipe

I just got a Stillen intake, and am gonna buy a Frankencar midpipe next. I LOVE... let me repeat that... LOVE, my intake. And I can't wait to make it even noisier and better with a midpipe

Great value for the $$, and it's fun as hell to stomp on it. It is soo much better than stock! (Did my mod about 1 month ago, and am still grinning

Mike
Old 06-24-2002, 11:51 PM

good post im gonna order one this week. i'll report back later wit the results.....
Old 06-24-2002, 11:55 PM
Dev

hey craig, you underestimate gtp's.

a 4th gen max will have struggles keeping up with a gtp if they are both stock. if they are both modded, the gtp will take the maxima out pretty easily because it already has a stock supercharger, of which smaller pulley's can be used. its not hard at all for gtp's to get 300hp. although gtps only come in auto, they still have the advantage.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:49 AM
boo

Originally posted by Dev

a 4th gen max will have struggles keeping up with a gtp if they are both stock. if they are both modded, the gtp will take the maxima out pretty easily because it already has a stock supercharger, of which smaller pulley's can be used. its not hard at all for gtp's to get 300hp. although gtps only come in auto, they still have the advantage.
That’s what I was afraid of when we started the race. It doesn't take much for the GTP's to get a smaller pulley on that supercharger and hit 13's. Have you seen their best 1/4 mile times?

http://www.gp-owners.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp

Yes it takes a few mods but they can haul!!

boo
Old 06-25-2002, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Dev

Tru dat, pulleys/exhaust in GTP and they're screamers... Well for the short time they last anyways...
Old 06-25-2002, 08:30 AM

quick question. with the mid pipe and the k&n, does that increase more of the low end power or high?????
Old 06-25-2002, 08:38 AM
boo

Originally posted by chigga
quick question. with the mid pipe and the k&n, does that increase more of the low end power or high?????
I felt a little more high end pull. The low end may have been there but I have a 5-spd and it has always pulled hard. I will need to
get to the track to see if there is any improvement. I unfortunately do not have a before and after dyno!

Boo
Old 06-25-2002, 10:00 AM

is there any dynos from frankencar on this 4th gen intake?
Old 06-25-2002, 10:08 AM

They have dynos for the 5th gen but not 4th gen. I have an auto and noticed a big difference in low end. I also had power in the high end sas well from when the popcharger was there. I haven't really tested the high end since I haven't gotten a chance to yet. My car pulled a lot more noticeably with the Frankencar midpipe in the low end.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Maximaniac

Originally posted by athlon omega
They have dynos for the 5th gen but not 4th gen. I have an auto and noticed a big difference in low end. I also had power in the high end sas well from when the popcharger was there. I haven't really tested the high end since I haven't gotten a chance to yet. My car pulled a lot more noticeably with the Frankencar midpipe in the low end.
I agree. I have alot more pull low end now that I have my frankencar midpipe. What are waiting for? Hurry up and get one!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:58 PM

Midpipe question

Just out of curiosity, how does the midpipe work compared to the stock resonator box?? Does the midpipe allow more cooler air to come in? I'm kinda clueless on how it works. I have a JWT pop charger right now and I'm thinking about getting the Frankencar midpipe just to see if I can get my low-end power back. Maybe I will do some throttle body cleaning too when doing this install. Thanks guys.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Midpipe question

Originally posted by maximaxgtr
Just out of curiosity, how does the midpipe work compared to the stock resonator box?? Does the midpipe allow more cooler air to come in? I'm kinda clueless on how it works. I have a JWT pop charger right now and I'm thinking about getting the Frankencar midpipe just to see if I can get my low-end power back. Maybe I will do some throttle body cleaning too when doing this install. Thanks guys.
The midpipe increases noise because it replaces the resonator.It should also have some power gains since it is a much smoother flow than the resonator. Most who have the hybrid style intake claim not to feel the low end loss that many do with a pop charger.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Re: Midpipe question

how long does the install take for an amateur guy like myself? i want to do it when i get time, but i work 7 days a week, so i need to make arrangements to do this!
Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 PM
syc

Re: Re: Re: Midpipe question

how long does the install take for an amateur guy like myself? i want to do it when i get time, but i work 7 days a week, so i need to make arrangements to do this!
probably 2 hr max for you if you got a stock air box. anyone experienced can do it in less than 1 hrs.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:49 PM

sooo

so its 135 for everything
and does it improve gas milage cuz my 95 Se auto has been doing horrrrrrrrible on Gas
Old 06-25-2002, 10:49 PM

Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Originally posted by boo
Hello i was wondering how come some people's check engine light goes on after putting an intake and so dont.
I really wanna do this mod but im scared for that light to come on.
need advice thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 05:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ok.

1. the 125 dollar deal is a full intake with midpipe( i need to post that on the site, i've had like 5 people ask that)
2. most people say they got their low end back.
3. i can install a full intake in under an hour, for most people it should be 1.5 tops.
4. I'm gonna dyno a 4th gen very soon, deezo is up for.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:47 AM

the only way you'd get a CEL from this is if you didn't install it properly or forgot to plug in the MAF heh.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Dev

5 speeds don't struggle to keep up with GTP's with the right driver. Look around the forum for a while and see what the guys here post for stock 5 speed times. This has been talked about before but I just need to tell you that your posting misinformation. Although in the right situations, either could win or lose.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
is there any dynos from frankencar on this 4th gen intake?
I'm supposed to do one for Frankcar Performance.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:20 AM
boo

Re: Re: Just installed new 4th gen frankencar intake!

Originally posted by crsh2

Hello i was wondering how come some people's check engine light goes on after putting an intake and so dont.
I really wanna do this mod but im scared for that light to come on.
need advice thanks
I was afraid of the same thing but I had no problems. As I mentioned before it was easy to install. It took me about 1 hr but I have cleaned my throttle body before so I was familiar with the layout. I took my time though to make sure everything was set correctly. The only thing I noticed was that there is no bend in the midpipe so I had to push my battery over a little for the intake to fit but there was room to play. Just make sure you tighten down everything.

I will try to post some pics tonight. I just have to get my wife to Photochop them down to size! I used the monsterflow intake!

boo
Old 06-27-2002, 09:28 AM

So can you put in the frankencar midpipe with a JWT pop charger? will it fit? if so, I'm buying a midpipe today
Old 06-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by shaz
So can you put in the frankencar midpipe with a JWT pop charger? will it fit? if so, I'm buying a midpipe today

yes you definetly can.