4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Harlan RPM switch and ME VI

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Harlan RPM switch and ME VI

Where can I buy the harlan RPM switch. Apparently there site is down and I really need to get this so I can get my ME VI set up.....

Anyone?

DL
Old 06-25-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

You searched though all the install threads correct?
Old 06-25-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Harlan actually shut down there old site is they have a new one, i have it in my email and will post it later today, or you can email me.
Ryan
Old 06-25-2002, 11:16 AM

Yeah his site...

seems to have been down for a few months. I don't know how exactly to get a hold of him. But, if you need an RPM switch you can always go to carparts.com and search for RPM switch I know they have like the MSD RPM swtich for around 100...which is 50 dollars more than Harlan's but it will serve the pupose. Also...there is another thing you can do...which I did waiting for my RPM switch you can wire up everything and have a ground wire come in the car. and just ground it manually. I was thinking of putting a button on the steering wheel to just press it when I get to the desired RPM...and let go when I shift, but then I thought people would think I had NOS or something so I decided against it.

Hopefully he will get his site up and running again. But, there are a few options to consider.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 11:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

You guys bought the rpm switch direct? How about a distributor?
Old 06-25-2002, 11:33 AM

I bought it directly through Harlan

You guys bought the rpm switch direct? How about a distributor?
I bought the RPM switch directly through Harlan which was only like $50 (I think he makes them on the side) , which is about half the price of all the other RPM switches out there. I think if you search some more you might be ale to get the MSD RPM switch cheaper than a $100 but probalby not to much cheaper...or find another RPM switch but I hadn't taken to much time on that. But, I think I'll have to be looking into finding another RPM switch out there for the same price for everyone that is interested in the VI.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did anyone have any luck in finding a VI activation wire that was already on the Max? (97+ only I guess)
Old 06-25-2002, 03:16 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

Originally posted by Anachronism
Did anyone have any luck in finding a VI activation wire that was already on the Max? (97+ only I guess)
From other people testing the car they haven't located a signal being sent out around 5000 RPMs. And because I don't have a 97+ car I can't check. But, I'm sure if one is found it will be posted and we'll let people know. But, at this current time there hasn't been one located.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: I bought it directly through Harlan

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

I bought the RPM switch directly through Harlan which was only like $50 (I think he makes them on the side) , which is about half the price of all the other RPM switches out there. I think if you search some more you might be ale to get the MSD RPM switch cheaper than a $100 but probalby not to much cheaper...or find another RPM switch but I hadn't taken to much time on that. But, I think I'll have to be looking into finding another RPM switch out there for the same price for everyone that is interested in the VI.

-John
Will this switch work?

MSD Ignition

RPM Activated Switches
These RPM Activated Switches will perform a variety of different functions from turning on a bulb or solenoid to activating an MSD Timing Computer at a desired RPM. The RPM Activated Switch, PN 8950, has two activation wires; one to ground a circuit and the other to open a circuit. Simply plug in an RPM module and wire the Switch to the circuit you want to activate. When the engine RPM reaches that amount, the circuit is activated and will remain on until the RPM falls below that amount. The RPM Window Switch, PN 8956, has two RPM adjustments; one to activate a circuit, while the other deactivates the same circuit. This Switch will supply then remove ground to a circuit. This is a great feature to deactivate nitrous before the engine's rev limit is reached. Both Switches can be used with stock inductive ignitions or an MSD Ignition and can handle up to 1.5 Amps. No RPM modules are supplied so they must be ordered.

Will this replace the Harlan RPM switch? Called MSD tech support and they were not very well informed in regards to this application. I believe the members here are more well informed and based on what I see it can be used to activate a solenoid which is part of what is needed for this set up.

Any help is appreciated with this!
DL
Old 06-25-2002, 03:28 PM

Re: Re: I bought it directly through Harlan

Originally posted by dlicari

Will this switch work?

MSD Ignition

RPM Activated Switches
These RPM Activated Switches will perform a variety of different functions from turning on a bulb or solenoid to activating an MSD Timing Computer at a desired RPM. The RPM Activated Switch, PN 8950, has two activation wires; one to ground a circuit and the other to open a circuit. Simply plug in an RPM module and wire the Switch to the circuit you want to activate. When the engine RPM reaches that amount, the circuit is activated and will remain on until the RPM falls below that amount. The RPM Window Switch, PN 8956, has two RPM adjustments; one to activate a circuit, while the other deactivates the same circuit. This Switch will supply then remove ground to a circuit. This is a great feature to deactivate nitrous before the engine's rev limit is reached. Both Switches can be used with stock inductive ignitions or an MSD Ignition and can handle up to 1.5 Amps. No RPM modules are supplied so they must be ordered.

Will this replace the Harlan RPM switch? Called MSD tech support and they were not very well informed in regards to this application. I believe the members here are more well informed and based on what I see it can be used to activate a solenoid which is part of what is needed for this set up.

Any help is appreciated with this!
DL
Yep that will work perfectly. But if you can wait for dafro to post you would save yourself about $50 bucks...But then might have to wait 2 weeks to get the RPM switch from Harlan.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 03:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: I bought it directly through Harlan

Yep that will work perfectly. But if you can wait for dafro to post you would save yourself about $50 bucks...But then might have to wait 2 weeks to get the RPM switch from Harlan.

-John
Thanks John,

I sent an email to Dafro.

DL
Old 06-25-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: I bought it directly through Harlan

But if you can wait for dafro to post you would save yourself about $50 bucks...But then might have to wait 2 weeks to get the RPM switch from Harlan.

-John
I second that. Although the packaging is not very robust, the Harlan is one great piece of engineering. I love the fact that the RPM is programmable via DIP switches instead of the RPM modules that MSD uses; if the rpm you want is not included with the MSD unit, you will have to buy the module(s). I know you are anxious to get the system going but you are better off waiting. Also, many on the Org have the harlan so it is nice having other users who can answer questions about the product.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:01 PM

Here is there new site

here is there new site for everyone that needs it.

http://www.harlan-engineering.com
Old 06-25-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Here is there new site

Originally posted by dafro
here is there new site for everyone that needs it.

http://www.harlan-engineering.com
Thanks so much for the new info. I think I speak for everyone when I say, "I really appriciate it!!!"

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 PM

Re: Re: Here is there new site

Thanks so much for the new info. I think I speak for everyone when I say, "I really appriciate it!!!"

-John
I think i can also speak for everyone that ordered a VI from you as well that we appriciate that too man. Good, honest person to deal with, Just can't wait to install this freakn thing.
Ryan
Old 06-25-2002, 04:44 PM

Potentially stupid question

I was wondering what this switch does. I'm hoping this is what brings the high end power. If so, I would be interested in the VI. If I could somehow make the switch set at 4,200 that'd be great. Considering that I only pull the RPM's past 4,000 when I want to take-off. So I guess my question is, can you set different points on the RPM for the VI to kick in? Has anyone determined what is optimal?
thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 04:46 PM

RPM switch ordered

Thanks Dafro and Cranman.

Just ordered the RPM switch. Looks like Harlan is trying to make it easier to use than MSD.

Need to get a few more things and I will be installing the ME VI and then the JUICE!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

DL
Old 06-25-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Potentially stupid question

5,000 rpm was found to be the optimal switch over point for the mevi. Ian dyno'd his w/ different rpms and actually lost a little power when it was set too low. You can set the rpm switch to activate whenever you want. But lower is not always better.

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I was wondering what this switch does. I'm hoping this is what brings the high end power. If so, I would be interested in the VI. If I could somehow make the switch set at 4,200 that'd be great. Considering that I only pull the RPM's past 4,000 when I want to take-off. So I guess my question is, can you set different points on the RPM for the VI to kick in? Has anyone determined what is optimal?
thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 05:06 PM

thanks
I take it you have an AUTO. No matter... I'm not sure why you'd want to partial throttle your way past 5k rpm. The point is the power is there when you need it, ie. WOT. If your not really jumping on it, there is no point to stay in gear...
Old 06-25-2002, 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Potentially stupid question

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I take it you have an AUTO. No matter... I'm not sure why you'd want to partial throttle your way past 5k rpm. The point is the power is there when you need it, ie. WOT. If your not really jumping on it, there is no point to stay in gear...

Nope, all 5-speed here. It's just that I normally shift at 3,200 in 1st and below 3,000 in all other gears under normal street driving. On the freeway, I pull the car higher depending on acceleration needed. So usually, if I go beyond 4,000 RPM I'm either flooring it, and/or in need of more power. Maybe somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM would be good for me.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Potentially stupid question

Nope, all 5-speed here. It's just that I normally shift at 3,200 in 1st and below 3,000 in all other gears under normal street driving. On the freeway, I pull the car higher depending on acceleration needed. So usually, if I go beyond 4,000 RPM I'm either flooring it, and/or in need of more power. Maybe somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM would be good for me.
OK, I hear you. Well, during normal driving, you won't see the benefit then. But if you like to drive aggressively on occasion, then this is the mod for you. If redlining makes you uncomfortable (it did for me up until a year ago) then this is not for you. It sounds like 5k more or less is the sweet spot. The real benefit lies from 5k to redline so if you almost never hit that, there is no point in pursuing further. You have basically all the standard bolt-ons. The only other thing that may give you some midrange gain would be an ECU upgrade...
Old 06-26-2002, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I don't go redline that often...only when I'm racing. I usually pull a redline at least once per tank. I've had this car since 97 and never had any incidents until 6 months ago. I've hit the rev limiter 3 times this past year. Like everyone else, I have an intake, y-pipe, cat, b-pipe, and 5th gen muffler for a complete exhaust system upgrade. But I have a ton of weight saving parts too: UDP, 13" Brembo 2 piece cross-drilled lightweight rotors, and lightweight forged 17X8" SSR Integrals. All this and I'm planning on popping in a lightened forged flywheel and ACT clutch when I swap out my 5-speed for one with an LSD. I'm thinking about having my tranny swapped along with the intake manifold. I should have a really fast naturally aspirated Maxima. As of now, I'm pretty darn fast, but nothing to brag about.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks
The VI effectivilly shortens the length of the intake runners to 'tune' them to work with the engine at high RPM. The regular longr length is already optimized for engine speeds below 5000 RPM.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question517.htm