4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What rotor should I buy that is above standard quality, but not too expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:16 PM

What rotor should I buy that is above standard quality, but not too expensive?

I'm trying to figure out what might be new on the market that might not cost tooo much money, but still be pretty decent quality?

I don't really have the cash to go for a good upgrade in front rotors. I also don't want to get Nissans rotors (heard they sucked)
And I don't want to buy some that cost very little and will warp or die quickly.

I guess I should ask the same about brake pads. Recommendations for dencent quality pads? or?

When I searched, i found some topics, but nothing relating to the (i guess) middle area, between crappy and high quality rotors. Unless i'm mistaken.

Symptoms which make me want to change front rotors:
Whenever I brake now, my car vibrates like nuts. When I'm nearly
stopped, when my brake pulsates, i can hear my brake out the window
making a weird ping type sound....

Thanks guys
Old 06-25-2002, 03:53 PM

Did you try turning the rotors you have now for $5 at your local auto parts store? That might take care of your problem. As long as your within specs. Rotors can warp if they get too hot or too thin or both. If you have wheels that flow good amount of air through you should be ok. I'm not sure there's a tremendous amount of difference between different brand rotors, but maybe somebody else can offer some good insight about that.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pulsation should be caused by warped front rotors I believe...Can anyone else confirm this....Warped rotors should make like a very low tone groaning sound during braking.....

Chris
Old 06-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: What rotor should I buy that is above standard quality, but not too expensive?

Brembo blanks are always a safe bet. I think they are about $40 each or so. Problem with turning your rotors is that they are now thinner and hence, more prone to warping again. Not sure why some people have serious recurrent warping problems while other don't. I'm near 80k miles on my original rotors and there is no pedal vibration when stopping...
Old 06-25-2002, 06:21 PM

You're describing warper rotors. Ideally, they should be replaced. Brembo blanks are your best bet.

Factors that can lead to rotor warpage are:

1. Too thin
2. Excessive heat was generated and not the rotors were not cooled down properly.
3. Spraying water on them when you wash your car after it was just driven.
4. Overtightening of lug nuts.
5. Firm pedal pressure still applied after a high energy stop. The pads act like a heat sink in this case.

The above reasons are why some people have more rotor problems than others, it's not always the rotors that suck, like most people would like to believe.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys,

I verified my current rotors, I can see they have already been turned. How? I looked at the rotor compared to a more middle part of the rotor, and noticed that the main braking part was more in. By about a couple millimeters i guess... I'm assuming they have already been resurfaced a couple times.

I will now try and find brembo blanks locally. If I can't find some locally, anyone suggest a good place online to get them from? courtesy nissan, or some site like that?

Thanks again.

Edit:
Did a search and found this:
dwapenyi
If you want Brembo blanks, you can get them here;

http://www.importautopart.net/main.p...tory23.content

DW
37.75 each
Old 06-25-2002, 08:45 PM

jagwork

this place has some blanks for 44.03

(just adding info here for others to find if ever it's needed
Old 06-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weight wise, are Brembo rotors heavier or lighter than say the regular ones from autozone?