4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

pics or info on Ram Air setup...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 11:23 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

pics or info on Ram Air setup...

Kk guys, i wanna get some low-end power back to the car... w/o really having to install a hybrid intake system. Right now, i have a k&N cone filter... and i wanted to know about the "ram air" setup and how ppl have done it. does anyone have a write up or pics of how the piping is done?? I'm really looking for a setup that brings cool air from the ground up to in front of the intake. thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 11:36 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Well stupid me, i should have done a search for it... and i did just now but i couldn't find any pics or any write ups... but from what i read its not worth it?
Old 06-25-2002, 11:40 PM

you mean hood scoop type stuff?
Old 06-25-2002, 11:42 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

no that's too complicated... a setup that would bring cooler air from underneath the car up to the cone filter
Old 06-26-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by nadir_s
no that's too complicated... a setup that would bring cooler air from underneath the car up to the cone filter

uhmmmm try modifing the bottom part of the stock air box. since it has a kind of scope on it. bring that down to the bottom of the car and see how that goes.

right now i just left that piece in and my jwt air filter sits right into the bottom half of the box.

just a suggestion.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:39 AM

ram intake and hybrid intake are the same
Old 06-26-2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
ram intake and hybrid intake are the same

not really

hybrid is just a air filter set up that uses just the upper piping from a cai.

a ram air is more like some sort of scoop device riged to bring cool air from a place away form the motor and supply this air to the sir filter. and usually the faster that you go the scoope will scoope up more air thus the name ram air intake. you are ramming more air with speed.

well at least that what i got out of the term "ram air"
Old 06-26-2002, 12:03 PM

we made one on my friends excel, but it wasnt fuel injection, and was much simpler on a carb system.....that thought of the stock air tubing gave me an idea.....im going to go look in the engine bay today, and see if some type of tubing can fit down under the car, and see how itll go
Old 06-26-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
we made one on my friends excel, but it wasnt fuel injection, and was much simpler on a carb system.....that thought of the stock air tubing gave me an idea.....im going to go look in the engine bay today, and see if some type of tubing can fit down under the car, and see how itll go

yeah ever since i got the air fiter i have been looking at the stock scope for somesort of ram air system but just been a lazy @ss
Old 06-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Down Under

if some type of tubing can fit down under the car, and see how itll go
If you buy a Ford Mustang 5.0 catalog they offer ram air systems that are exactly what you are describing. Under the facia is where they could be located. The tubing would be easy too. Good idea...I might have to check this out myself.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:33 PM

Re: Down Under

Originally posted by Linkage23

If you buy a Ford Mustang 5.0 catalog they offer ram air systems that are exactly what you are describing. Under the facia is where they could be located. The tubing would be easy too. Good idea...I might have to check this out myself.

but the other thing is would it really help if your ramming all of this air in and all that happens is it comes out to a open air filter box. it would just supply a little more air for the air filter. but i think we will lose out on the "ram air" effect. i think we would need to find a way to some how seal the air filter into a encloser.
hmmm i wonder if it would even help.

i know the professional racing sports bikes use something of a ram air system but they are also running at 160 plus miles perhour.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:37 PM

make a direct connection from the tube to the filter somehow, or atleast leave the pipe right near the filter....it would not only be more air, it would be COLDER air....
Old 06-26-2002, 01:44 PM

hmmmmmm yes that is true.

i was thinking maybe use something to cover the air filter and connect it to the ram intake piping. maybe use the air box from like the ford f-150. cause there big and round and they can easly be made to connect to our ram air system. i think.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:45 PM

Sorry I can't remember their names, but there have been people who ran pipes from their TBs to a foglight hole. That is as close to Ram Air as you can get.
-Cyrus
Old 06-26-2002, 01:47 PM

where would the filter come into play??? ...also i found this link from another forum board....its not a ram air, but its a custom cai...

custom cai
Old 06-26-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Sorry I can't remember their names, but there have been people who ran pipes from their TBs to a foglight hole. That is as close to Ram Air as you can get.
-Cyrus
yeah ive seen those pics but the inlet seems to be pretty small.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by jdmmax

yeah ive seen those pics but the inlet seems to be pretty small.
I think it's still 2.5" all the way through. Only thing I would be concerned about is the water going into the filter (even despite an AEM bypass valve), and if all the bends required for the pipe ruin it's efficiency.
-Cyrus
Old 06-26-2002, 02:02 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=102082

I would have to say that this set-up was awesome in the winter...with freezing temps, I almost froze my filter! However, honestly, in the summer heat, I think it does nothing at all. As a matter of a fact, in the summer when the road emits lots of heat and the scoop grabs air from there, it can do more harm than anythin else...good luck though.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:27 PM

go check out weapon-r's website they have something that you might like
Old 06-26-2002, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

here's mine

Did you know I went the OSCAI route, but I routed a 3'' dryer tube from the bottom of the car straight to the air filter box's opening? Then I gave it a test drive. To my surprise, it felt a lot WEAKER and less responsive than my JWT cone.

If you have an auto, OSCAI makes a huge difference. I really liked it in my old car. But for a 5-speed, you're better off with a cone, or better yet, a nice midpipe section too.

Here's my setup right now. I plan to get the FrankenCar midpipe as soon as I scrape up enough funds.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...=214239&page=3

I actually took a lot of time routing the tube. It's not as simple as it looks. The bottom portion is molded to take in as much air as possible, not cause any type of drag, and to look stealthy. The slant towards vertical seems to be just enought to have air flowing smoothly up the tube, rather than an abrupt 90 degree angle upward.

The tube rounds directly under the cone intake, and I feel that at higher speeds, a fresh source of cooled air runs straight to the filter. It even has a mesh-type grill which hopefully will prevent little rodents from crawling up

edit: btw, fabricating OSCAI on a manual is extremely easy compared to an auto. The auto has a larger transmission, and has more underbody plastic fenders. With my car, I can easily reach to the bottom of the tube from inside the hood.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:04 PM

These are pics of costcowholesale's contraption:
Dont mind the dust..

Old 06-26-2002, 03:32 PM

hhmmmmmmmm cool i remember those.

gtr i was accually considering doing something like costcowholesales thing but i couldn't stop thinking that the air coming in is going straight up and out the other side heheheheh
Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM

turd, thats the same exact setup that me and my friend used on his excel....actually beefed some nice hp back then on carbs....i wanted to do the same, but didnt think of it until now....can u gimme some more info on how you made that? thx
Old 06-26-2002, 04:03 PM

It's VERY simple, it's just a matter of making it look clean. I bought a 3'' tube from the Plumbing/Dryer (same area) section. After much experimentation, this is the optimal size for a Maxima considering the room in the engine bay.

Anyway, all you have to do is get it caught in the nitch between the bracket holding up the intake (if you have one) and bring it down to the bottom. The pics should be self explanitory from here. I used duct tape and NEATLY stuck in on to the inside of the tube and tape it to the bottom of the underbody plastic cover. I really wanted something like this

http://www.marchperformance.com/pg32.html

as an attatchement at the bottom, but had no luck in finding that.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:17 PM

did you ever think about putting a big scoop at the end of the piping?
Old 06-26-2002, 04:48 PM

did you ever think about putting a big scoop at the end of the piping?
that's what I was thinking when I looked at the link I posted. I couldn't find that type of attachment at home depot though.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Well, i'm gonna attempt the "ram air" mod...

I actually tried this on my celica in hope to bring cooler air from underneath the car up to my intake but the car is so small, the engine bay was compact and there was absolutely no room for pipings.

I still have the stuff leftover from what i tried to start on the celica... its this insulated exhaust tubing that u put in ure house... about 3-5 inches wide... and very flexible. I will try to attach a scoop at the end of it and see if i can snake it a little through the engine bay from the ground up in front of the intake. I'll post again if i'm successful
Old 06-29-2002, 06:12 PM

How about this ram air kit? Im sure it would take very little customization to work with our intakes...

http://www.weapon-r.com/ramair.html