4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Debating Whether or Not to Get a UDP...Help Me Out>>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:24 PM

Debating Whether or Not to Get a UDP...Help Me Out>>>

Hey guys,

Since the weather has been warmer lately, I've been using my A/C more often. When the A/C is on, my car feels sluggish and it doesn't seem to have much low end power. I'm debating whether or not to get the UDP, which will free up some horsepower.

According to the MaxFAQs...
"The crank pulley drives the accessories on the car, such as A/C and alternator. The underdrive pulley is smaller and lighter than the stock unit. Because it is smaller and lighter, less energy (horsepower), is used to turn the pulley. The underdrive pulley *does not* produce horsepower -- it simply frees up some horsepower that was being used to drive the stock pulley."

So, will this help me out with my low end power loss with the A/C on? The reason I'm thinking about NOT buying one is because I'm putting an aftermarket stereo in my car soon. I think I remember reading something awhile back about people with aftermarket stereos that also had UDPs had the lights dimming in their cars. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Would you suggest I get the UDP?

Thanks alot for any help,
-Nick
Old 06-27-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's all a trade off. For more power you sacrfice other stuff
Old 06-27-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: Debating Whether or Not to Get a UDP...Help Me Out>>>

Originally posted by Nick97SE
Hey guys,

Since the weather has been warmer lately, I've been using my A/C more often. When the A/C is on, my car feels sluggish and it doesn't seem to have much low end power. I'm debating whether or not to get the UDP, which will free up some horsepower.

According to the MaxFAQs...
"The crank pulley drives the accessories on the car, such as A/C and alternator. The underdrive pulley is smaller and lighter than the stock unit. Because it is smaller and lighter, less energy (horsepower), is used to turn the pulley. The underdrive pulley *does not* produce horsepower -- it simply frees up some horsepower that was being used to drive the stock pulley."

So, will this help me out with my low end power loss with the A/C on? The reason I'm thinking about NOT buying one is because I'm putting an aftermarket stereo in my car soon. I thought I remember reading something about people with aftermarket stereos shouldn't get the UDPs. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Should I get the UDP?

Thanks alot for any help,
-Nick
I'll be one to tell you that there's no difference on the AC w/ the UDP.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm going to say no because they aren't the best for large stereos and it won't help your A/C at all either.
-Cyrus
Old 06-27-2002, 01:44 PM

These guys are right. Even if there is a measurable difference you won't be able to feel it because its way way too small.
Its probably the dumbest mod I have purchased.
Jim
Old 06-27-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Jime

Its probably the dumbest mod I have purchased.
Jim
Turbo97GXE will love you for this comment.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM

I have heard this mod is worth it if you have a 5-speed with a lightened flywheel. . . I'll let you know when I get it installed this weekend with my new clutch and lightened flywheel. Although I won't be able to test it fully until the clutch is broken in. Although I have heard mixed results on if it is a good mod or not.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:30 PM

It IS a good mod. I don't have an aftermarket stereo, however, so it might not be good for you. However, I noticed more low end as soon as I punched it in first. It's not dramatic, and it won't give you more than a tenth or two at the track, but it is definitely faster. I hate that it got hot and humid around here right after I put it on. I can tell so much difference in hot and cold weather. Let me say that now my car feels ALMOST as fast in hot weather as it used to in cold. It's not that big a diff, but it is clearly there...and I can't wait for some cold weather!
Old 06-27-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Turbo97GXE will love you for this comment.
I do think my car revs faster with the UDP it just didn't make any difference in the 1/4 and I did a before and after. I usually only do 1 mod at a time and compare times and this one just didn't cut it.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:36 PM

Nick, just get the underdrive pulley. I have it and my lights dim a little. I can't say if it's from that or that my battery is weak and about to go. I am going to buy a new battery soon, so I'll let you know. Also you can always get some caps to help w/ the blinking lights
Old 06-27-2002, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm still on the edge though. I have an Optima Yellow Top Battery to help out with the stereo, and I'm probably going to end up getting a Capacitor also. I just can't stand how sluggish my car feels with the A/C on. I thought maybe the UDP would help, but it looks like it won't from some of the comments on here. I really can't decide if I should buy one or not. I better make up my mind soon though because there is two GDs going on for them right now.

-Nick
Old 06-27-2002, 09:08 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm still on the edge though. I have an Optima Yellow Top Battery to help out with the stereo, and I'm probably going to end up getting a Capacitor also. I just can't stand how sluggish my car feels with the A/C on. I thought maybe the UDP would help, but it looks like it won't from some of the comments on here. I really can't decide if I should buy one or not. I better make up my mind soon though because there is two GDs going on for them right now.

-Nick
I'll let you know about the dimming on monday. . . I have a 600W stereo in my car with no cap at the moment w/ optima yellow top. I am getting my pulley installed sunday and will test to see if there is any dimming. I know 600W isn't extreme, but right now with the battery double grounded it doesn't dim at all.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:42 PM

I always thought it was interesting that people say it doesn't do anything (or very much), but no one sells them :P I know it isn't the easiest thing to uninstall, but if I didn't think it was worth the money I would be getting rid of it. From the people I've talked to it made some difference, and by the lack of used UDP sellers it must do something.
-hype
Old 06-28-2002, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I always thought it was interesting that people say it doesn't do anything (or very much), but no one sells them :P I know it isn't the easiest thing to uninstall, but if I didn't think it was worth the money I would be getting rid of it. From the people I've talked to it made some difference, and by the lack of used UDP sellers it must do something.
-hype
Thats exactly why no one sells them. It took way too long to put it on and uninstall is just about the same. Besides it give people something to put behind their signature, (UDP) sort of like PEng, MD etc
Old 06-28-2002, 06:13 AM

I still don't know if I want to get one. I'm thinking that I should just save the money for something else. Any opinions? The GD is closing soon and I want to get in on it, but only if my .Org buddies say that it's worth it. I've had people go either way in this thread, so I really can't decide.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 06-28-2002, 07:14 AM

...I really can't decide.

Thanks,
-Nick
I don't know if it helps any, but I've been debating on one for a long time. I want to change my belts soon and I plan on doing the labor, so I think I may get a UDP in the process. If you install it yourself it'll help absorb the cost of belt install and you'll learn in the process as well. 5spd owners definitely talk more positively about the UDP, but it isn't too expensive when you start running out mods. It's also daily driver/NA friendly (unlike some comments about the flywheel), and will last forever. The only reason to hesitate is if you plan on going S/C imho.
-hype
Old 06-28-2002, 09:30 AM

I don't know if it helps any, but I've been debating on one for a long time. I want to change my belts soon and I plan on doing the labor, so I think I may get a UDP in the process. If you install it yourself it'll help absorb the cost of belt install and you'll learn in the process as well. 5spd owners definitely talk more positively about the UDP, but it isn't too expensive when you start running out mods. It's also daily driver/NA friendly (unlike some comments about the flywheel), and will last forever. The only reason to hesitate is if you plan on going S/C imho.
-hype
I guess I'll pass then because I'm considering an S/C.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 06-28-2002, 09:37 AM

I guess I'll pass then because I'm considering an S/C.

Thanks,
-Nick
If you go turbo you can also have the UDP If I ever do FI that's the route I'll go so I think I'm going to get a UDP.
-hype
Old 06-28-2002, 09:43 AM

If you go turbo you can also have the UDP If I ever do FI that's the route I'll go so I think I'm going to get a UDP.
-hype
Well, if I get the S/C, it probably won't be for a couple of years. It's gonna take me a while to save up $4000. I dunno. I guess I'll just pass on the UDP. I could use the money elsewhere right now anyways.

Thanks for your help.

Later,
-Nick
Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 AM

It's hardly noticeable.

I just got it cause I was running out of bolt-ons to buy so I fugured, "What the hell, I'll give it a go." I wouldn't highly recommend it but I won't recommend against it.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:47 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I put this in this weekend, then tested it out by turning the A/C all the way on, headlights on, and turned the stereo up as loud as I ever would take it. The amount of dimming that is present is exactly the same as it was before it was installed at idle or while driving. So you wouldn't have to worry about that. As far as performance, I have to wait until the clutch is broken in until I know if there is any difference, but honestly I won't know what most of it is a result of (could be from the new clutch, new flywheel, or UDP) so in terms of benefits, I think I would have to dyno it to figure that out, and that probably isn't happening anytime soon.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Just an update on the A/C thing. . . The car has a harder time getting things cool when it is 115 and you aren't moving. It blows air at like 80 degrees. When you move though it gets cold as it would normally. It is still livable, about as good as any Ford I have driven at work, but it takes some getting used to.