4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mesh grille/tail light mod... need advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 12:03 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

mesh grille/tail light mod... need advice/help

Hey guys

I am gonna attempt to put a mesh grille on tomorrow... i just wanted to know if there's a specific type of metal or whatnot to purchase... because I'm wondering about rusting. Has anyone w/ this mod have probs about rust??

Also, I want to "red out" my tail light for now since its faily easy to do myself. I would like to clear em out but since i have the '96, i can't afford getting it cleared out cuz i searched for these topics and ppl said u had to send it in to ppl who had experience... and plus i don't trust myself doing it anyways. Anywho, i wanted to "red out" my ambers w/ a red vinyl translucent tape... Actually my friend did that on the ambers in his RSX and it looked pretty nice and i remember he had a link on how to do it for the maxima and RSX and that the results were good.

Anyone attempt the "red-out" mod? w/ vinyl tape?? I've searched and foudn ppl painted theirs too... what kinda paint is required?? thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2002, 03:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mesh Grille

I JUST got done installing my mesh grille. It wa WAY easier than I anticipated. The only advice I have to give would be to take your time. I got wasted before and that MADE me actually take 4 hours on this project. If sober I bet you could nail it in les than 2. Good luck man and I should have pics of this by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Mesh Grille

Originally posted by Linkage23
I JUST got done installing my mesh grille. It wa WAY easier than I anticipated. The only advice I have to give would be to take your time. I got wasted before and that MADE me actually take 4 hours on this project. If sober I bet you could nail it in les than 2. Good luck man and I should have pics of this by tomorrow afternoon.
how exactly does the Mesh grill sit in the spaces? Thats what Ive always wanted to know. Thanx!
Old 06-29-2002, 09:25 AM

Using a rivot gun is one way to get the screen to stay in place and not as scarring or unsightly as screws.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:23 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

After doing a search on the forum and lookin at other ppl's grills.. i think the best way to hold the grill in place is to use a mettallic wire. You can just use these wires to tie around the little pillars inside the grill.

Best way to fit the grill in is to measure the height... and work w/ a peice of cardboard first to get the exact shape. Then place the mesh on top of the cardboard and cut around it. You probably justhave to keep trimming the mesh until u have a perfect fit. I will attempt this mod today and have pics up by afternoon.... IF it comes out good lol.

So i'm take it, not alot of ppl have attempted to "red-out" their amber lights on the back?
Old 06-29-2002, 11:35 AM

see mine! took me less than 55mins to do it.
Old 06-29-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: mesh grille/tail light mod... need advice/help

Originally posted by nadir_s
Hey guys

I am gonna attempt to put a mesh grille on tomorrow... i just wanted to know if there's a specific type of metal or whatnot to purchase... because I'm wondering about rusting. Has anyone w/ this mod have probs about rust??

Also, I want to "red out" my tail light for now since its faily easy to do myself. I would like to clear em out but since i have the '96, i can't afford getting it cleared out cuz i searched for these topics and ppl said u had to send it in to ppl who had experience... and plus i don't trust myself doing it anyways. Anywho, i wanted to "red out" my ambers w/ a red vinyl translucent tape... Actually my friend did that on the ambers in his RSX and it looked pretty nice and i remember he had a link on how to do it for the maxima and RSX and that the results were good.

Anyone attempt the "red-out" mod? w/ vinyl tape?? I've searched and foudn ppl painted theirs too... what kinda paint is required?? thanks in advance
hey nadir you have the site for the redding out yoru tails? and some pics of it too? and plus the mesh grill any instructions on how to perform that operation? and where to buy the metalic sheet??? thanx
Old 06-29-2002, 01:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

spooky, ure too lazy lol... the search function will get u answers quicker!

Anywho, the mesh grille mod is quite simple. First of all, you can get your mesh @ home depot or anywhere that sells "Gutter Gaurd/Mesh." That's what you're looking for. I searched earlier and discovered that you need to put a layer of clear coat on top to prevent the mesh from rusting. I heard those are also available in aluminum... which means no rust! I'll look for that today when i head out to home depot. Well, ill go attempt this mod in an hour or 2 and get back to the post.

As for the taillight mod... i'm waiting for my RSX friend to come online and hoping he still somehow has the link. I remember him giving it to me a looooong time ago. Altho it was instructions for the RSX, i remember it mentioning being done on the maxima too and it looked good. In the meantime, i'm gonna head over to DJ Hobbies to pick up the sheet of red vinyl tape (3 bucks). I heard its pretty a difficult mod because when u tape over, u don't want bubbles... so a hairdryer/heatgun required to help put it on.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:37 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

photoshop

ok check this out.... a pic w/ my car's amber's lit up and a photoshopped pic of them "redded-out" I will have the real pics when i actually finish the mod later tonite

NORMAL LIT UP AMBER:

PHOTOSHOPPED RED-OUT

I think it would look much better w/ lights off tho... but don't have pics of my tails w/o the lights on.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Well, i went to DJ Hobby to get red vinyl tape... the ****** closed the place 10 min after i got there I guess i'll drive all the way out there again tomorrow.

I went to home depot and bought the Gutter Mesh/Gaurd. It was $5.50 and the length/height is PERFECT for the maxima custom grille mod. It came w/ 5 peices too. Anywho, i did the thin strip on the bumper first. Looks pretty nice (aluminum color). I also bought "Metallic Black Night" spray paint. I'm not sure what would look good tho, the aluminum color or the metallic black. My car is Super Black so i thoght a sparkly shiny black colored grill would look cool... but when i put a test peice on the thin strip part it wasn't as noticable. Perhaps i will make the bottom part or the top emblem grill metallic black. Its evening here and i gave up. Its a biatch trying to cut the damn mesh.. link by link... so tedious. Anywho, i'm attempting to finish this tomorrow w/ my friend. I will also try the red-out mod tomorrow as well.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:14 PM

Fastening the Mesh

I have the mesh all cut out and I just realized I need to clearcoat the damned thing so rust doens't take over. I have only one dilema regarding this venture:
How do I fasten the small middle grille and bottom grille without making it look like its get pushed in? I'd rather not use a rivot gun on the bumper but I do have the aluminum wire to fasten the top grille...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2002, 08:49 AM

Sickmen....your grill looks sweet! Good Job
Old 06-30-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
Sickmen....your grill looks sweet! Good Job
how come i haven't seen many maximas with a mesh grill? it looks hot i just need to know how to do it that's all haha
Old 06-30-2002, 10:57 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Fastening the Mesh

Originally posted by Linkage23
I have the mesh all cut out and I just realized I need to clearcoat the damned thing so rust doens't take over. I have only one dilema regarding this venture:
How do I fasten the small middle grille and bottom grille without making it look like its get pushed in? I'd rather not use a rivot gun on the bumper but I do have the aluminum wire to fasten the top grille...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
What i did was take a pretty thick lead wire (the kind use for soldering things) and tied the corner of mesh then brought the wire all the way in the back of the fender. I found some pillars back there to tie around. just reach ure hand down there and look fo rsomething to tie around. I'm gonna attempt the mods today and see how it goes.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:49 AM

how different would this be for a 97-99 grille? and how would it be done?
Old 06-30-2002, 12:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by NyC97Max
how different would this be for a 97-99 grille? and how would it be done?
I drive a 96SE w/ a 97 front conversion so it's the same thing.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

INSTRUCTIONS

kK, well i searched teh RSX forums and found the link finally. Altho this is how to red out the rsx taillight... i mean same damn thing. At the end you'll see they attempted on diff cars too and included was the 96 maxima.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RED OUT TAILLIGHT

http://www.4sided.com/rsx/
Old 06-30-2002, 01:44 PM

Re: INSTRUCTIONS

Originally posted by nadir_s
kK, well i searched teh RSX forums and found the link finally. Altho this is how to red out the rsx taillight... i mean same damn thing. At the end you'll see they attempted on diff cars too and included was the 96 maxima.

id like to see how this would look on a max up close b/c red/clears are impossible to find
Old 06-30-2002, 10:51 PM

Re: Re: INSTRUCTIONS

Originally posted by 95sickGLE

id like to see how this would look on a max up close b/c red/clears are impossible to find
ok check this out, the redding part is freaking hot but do you suppose it'll have a better red shade when lit at night if you clear the amber lens first?u get what i'm saying? clear out your tails first and then red out your tails and then at night it'll have more of a red color when put in Polarg hyper white 1156's. anyone else agree?
Old 06-30-2002, 11:14 PM

Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 PM

If you look at the reflection on the rsx in the last set of pics you can see a maxima. It looks like a 4gen with 15" hubcaps.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:50 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I REDDED OUT MY LIGHTS. OMFG it's hecka hard to do. This is a EXACTLY like a tint job. Just like you tint your windows, you're tinting you're ambers. It's very hard to do w/ a blowdryer... i did the mod but i think when i have the time to get a heatgun, i'm gonna do it again. It's a simple mod but i didn't get the vinyl tape hot enough to melt (more flexible) good enough. anywho, took about an hour trying to stretch the damn thing.. but there's still a little bit of bubbles on the corner, but not visible unless u put ure face right up to it. I love it... i will have pics up later today.

What i tinted was only the ambers, i left the clear. If you were to tint the reverse lights, it will show up pink when u turn em on. When you use ure turn signals or hazards, the back lights light up a dark orange/redish color. I love it, it looks hecka good. Only thing is the little bubbling on the corner but i will attempt this mod again later. For now, looks great